Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I have a .270 22" fluted stainless barrel that measures .660" at the muzzle. I would like the diameter reduced by .060" for the entire length of the barrel. A gunsmith told me it can't be done because of the flutes. Does anyone know whether this is correct or not? Thank you.

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
It can definitely be done but hardly anyone wants to do it.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
If you can imagine, cutting the diameter on a fluted six flute barrel would be a nightmare

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
I have a .270 22" fluted stainless barrel that measures .660" at the muzzle. I would like the diameter reduced by .060" for the entire length of the barrel. A gunsmith told me it can't be done because of the flutes. Does anyone know whether this is correct or not? Thank you.

There are two problems to address on what you want done. Well more like difficulties. One being the diameter of the barrel. It's not a pencil but you're going to have a problem with keeping it from pushing away from the tool during the cut. That's just the way it is. There are ways to overcome that though. The second is the flutes cause the cut ti be what we call interrupted. Unlike the smooth cut you'd have on a non fluted barrel. This is hard on carbide tipped cutters and the tool itself is brittle and breaks easy so every time it goes from one flute to the next there is a shock to that cutting tip and they usually break. Different grades of carbide can help or even using high speed turning tools as they are not nearly as brittle but they wear faster due to not being as hard as carbide. With all that being said it's possible to cut the barrel though but you're likely going to have to do more polishing to get a decent finish. So here comes another snag. If you use lets say the typical sanding belt by hand the edges of the flute will hit harder than the rest and it's not going to leave as nice a finish as you might like. Long cuts on small diameters with an interrupted cut are a pain.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd say a tool post grinder would be your only hope. A six flute interrupted cut sounds like a nightmare.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by high_country_
I'd say a tool post grinder would be your only hope. A six flute interrupted cut sounds like a nightmare.

That would work but you'd be at it a while.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have done it, might not consider doing it again. The flutes make what is called an interrupted cut which plays heck with tooling and the lathe itself. A good heavy lathe might be too bad but a small one really gets beat around.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks everyone for the information. I've found someone who has done it before and has agreed to take-on the job.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks everyone for the information. I've found someone who has done it before and has agreed to take-on the job.

Has he given you a price on it?

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Jim1611

Yes an extra $90 because of the fluting.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jim1611

Yes an extra $90 because of the fluting.

My hat is off to him, he has a bigger set of balls than I have. Let us know how it turns out

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 1936M71, 58 invisible), 2,828 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,524
Posts18,452,784
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.