Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
teacher Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I wonder if anyone knows how the drought affected the quial hatch, and how good quail hunting will be this year in the West. I've done some scouting and haven't run into as many birda as I thought I'd see, especially in some of my favorite haunts.<P>Wondering what everyone else has been finding?<P>Teach

BP-B2

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well, out here things are dry, but the water sources for the birds are permanent irrigation canals, so the birds have water. I rate the hatch as fair to good. I have seen a lot of coveys of Gambel's quail, but all fairly small to average. I still haven't seen a huge 50 to 80 bird covey , and I can usually pinpoint at least one of those every off season. It may be that I just haven't found it yet, but I think it will be a decent year anyway. By the way, where you from and what type of quail do you hunt? Dante

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can tell you that I was just in the Clark Mountains near the California/Nevada state line (Whiskey Pete's) for the deer opener. We didn't see any bucks, but in two days we ran into two, maybe three big coveys of chukars, another of Valley quail, and two of Gambel's. All were big coveys for sure!<P>The terrain is very rough, with lots of volcanic rocks, and steep slides. Also, there are quite a few guzzlers and a couple of wells that provide water, but, boy were there ever birds!<P>You might give the Clarks a go if you're in the area.<P>Good luck.<P>Rick

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
C
C
Well, I just got back from the San Carlos, and things were really dry there. By all acounts, the hatch was pretty weak this year, and most of our traditionally birdy places were birdless. We took 12 birds on Saturday behind two very good pointers, and went birdless Sunday. Kost folks in tyhe area and even a couple of other hunters agreed. It's a bad year at the San Carlos.<P>Good luck in your area. [Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Things were good in SoCal. Check the Sweet Sixteen discussion in "Shotguns" for a good picture!<P>Heading back to the Clarks this weekend for chukars and redheads (and maybe a buck if I can get real lucky)!<P>Rick

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
IC B2

R
R
Dante... Where are you located? Not sure were you are talking about?<P>Cobia... Have you found any other areas with birds? I am planning our annual trip to AZ after the first of the year... What can I expect? Generally hunt north of Wilcox and Benson but may go south for Mearns this year also.<P>Any help is greatly appreciated!<P>Ryan

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ryan, Dante's profile says he is located in Winterhaven, CA (that't just across the line from Yuma, AZ); there is quite an extensive canal system on both sides of the Colorado River in that vicinity.<BR>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR><I><B>Critr</B></I><BR> <A HREF="http://www.SaguaroSafaris.com" TARGET=_blank>www.SaguaroSafaris.com</A>

Critr
C
C
Ryan:<P>My only out-of-state trip was to the San Carlos this year, so I don't know much about the other areas. But I suspect that you'll have your work cut out for you. We did a lot of walking behind good dogs and only got into two decent coveys. By now, I suspect the birds are scattered and skittish.<P>But, I'll tell you what. If I could get off work, I'd go with you in a New York minute! [Linked Image]<P>Good luck,<P>cobia

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
95 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 10 invisible), 1,587 guests, and 769 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.