"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
GB1

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Huh...eating a tag because you couldn't find the one is one thing, but I had read those posts as in the high bidders didn't even try to hunt on that tag. I see now what you're saying.

It drives me nuts when people dillute draw odds or rack up bids with no real intention to even try. It is their right to I guess but that doesn't make it any less frustrating. I see it a lot in Idaho and is why they started their second draw...to sell tags that others had drawn but didn't pay for or pick up by the deadline. Roughly 10% of very desirable deer, elk and antelope tags were not being picked up by those who drew them. Outside of unforseen emergencies, why even bother to apply if you're not going to try to hunt on that tag? All they're doing is dilluting draw odds.

It does suck but I think our G&F builds no shows into the tag numbers! Well, this many guys aren’t gonna show up so we can add a few tags to the hunt code, make a few more bucks! 😂

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

Jared
S
SLM Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I don’t think so. GT killed the Gov. tag out of there last year.

That was crazy, the dad had the auction tag and the son had the raffle.

Trying to verify this years, now it’s got wanting to know for sure. I may switch it up a little this year.

Originally Posted by NMpistolero
Was he hunting your country?

S
SLM Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
This thread got me thinking.

Donald Trump is paying all expenses for you. Money and time is not an issue, what tag would you get?

Pretty sure it would be a desert tag for me.

S
SLM Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
It does piss a guy off. I know of 2 16D first rifle tags that didn’t get hunted last year due to a softball tournament.

Huh...eating a tag because you couldn't find the one is one thing, but I had read those posts as in the high bidders didn't even try to hunt on that tag. I see now what you're saying.

It drives me nuts when people dillute draw odds or rack up bids with no real intention to even try. It is their right to I guess but that doesn't make it any less frustrating. I see it a lot in Idaho and is why they started their second draw...to sell tags that others had drawn but didn't pay for or pick up by the deadline. Roughly 10% of very desirable deer, elk and antelope tags were not being picked up by those who drew them. Outside of unforseen emergencies, why even bother to apply if you're not going to try to hunt on that tag? All they're doing is dilluting draw odds.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SLM

Donald Trump is paying all expenses for you. Money and time is not an issue, what tag would you get?

Governor’s Mule deer tag.

😁

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Desert Bighorn for me. My dream hunt.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by SLM

Governor’s Mule deer tag.

😁

Ugh. NM only that’s tough, deer or desert. Throw AZ in the mix and then it’s a little easier to say Deer.
Everyone plays that game. If you win the raffle, would you hunt or sell??? I think if I won I would sell it because I know how bad the deer herd is doing and my expectations are so unrealistic I’d never find the deer I wanted and the pressure to produce would make me miserable. So I’d sell it and buy a management deer/coues hunt in Sonora!

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

Jared
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Never gonna draw a sheep tag. Leave it up to you scrappers. Good luck.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by SLM
It does piss a guy off. I know of 2 16D first rifle tags that didn’t get hunted last year due to a softball tournament.

WTF! Only way I couldn't hunt is due to illness or something dire in the family. But a softball tournament, geez. crazy

I also wonder how many animal rights activists put in for these tags hoping to take away a tag from a hunter?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by SLM

Desert bighorn for me also. Would you go Hatchets or Peloncillos?

He went over yonder way
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Knew a guy who drew a Hatchet DBH tag a few years ago. He decided to do it himself. Made a half-dozen scouting trips (an 8 or 9 hour drive, one-way). Managed to locate a ram or two. Then came the hunt. No sheep to be found. They'd moved off to who knows where. Spent 10 days floundering around the range in futility. Finally, on the afternoon of the last day, he attempted a very long shot on a ram he'd spotted - and missed. The kicker here is that he was the only unguided tag holder (out of 7, I believe) and was the only one who didn't get a ram.

Last edited by PrimeBeef; 03/09/22.
S
SLM Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Would be a hard choice. Not a good answer, but would depend on the year which area I’d chose.

Originally Posted by Heeler
Originally Posted by SLM

Desert bighorn for me also. Would you go Hatchets or Peloncillos?

S
SLM Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
They do move around a bunch.

I want to hunt them real bad, but would hope to have the right people around, cause the pressure could take all the fun out of it.

Originally Posted by PrimeBeef
Knew a guy who drew a Hatchet DBH tag a few years ago. He decided to do it himself. Made a half-dozen scouting trips (an 8 or 9 hour drive, one-way). Managed to locate a ram or two. Then came the hunt. No sheep to be found. They'd moved off to who knows where. Spent 10 days floundering around the range in futility. Finally, on the afternoon of the last day, he attempted a very long shot on a ram he'd spotted - and missed. The kicker here is that he was the only unguided tag holder (out of 7, I believe) and was the only one who didn't get a ram.

S
SLM Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
The Gov. desert ram was killed.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Interesting thread. In SD we only have 3 or 4 draw sheep tags. 6-7 years back the wild sheep people lobbied hard for an auction tag to raise funds for sheep restoration projects and it passed. Worked good for a couple of years then Noem got in, croaks big out of one side of her mouth advocating for corn alcohol production and out of the other side of her mouth for pheasant habitat restoration two opposite posed land issues. She ordered the gfp commission to purloin the auction tag proceeds for habitat restoration on private land. Then stuck all of us with a habitat stamp fee to raise money for her idea of pheasant restoration on private land which is all leased to pheasant outfitters. See not only does the government hose citizens but likes to bug fug sheep too. Now you know the rest of the story.
PS NONE OF THE other various wildlife organizations in the state ask for auction tags any more to raise funds gee wonder why.

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 03/09/22.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
S
SLM Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Just to be fair, I just put in the lucky app for one of the 24 desert sheep tags, so you all can fight over the remaining 23.

I’d reluctantly take a rocky.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The problem is that the states game commisioners are crooked as Hillary Clinton. There is one section in the dry Cimarron area that one of the commisioners borders, so they passed a no hunting ban on the State land adjacent to his so that noone can hunt any game species on the State land. Granted these are small sections, but the land is very landlocked and checkerboarded...they posted it as a "bighorn study area".

S
SLM Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Ya, that whole Dry Cimmaron release and closure was sketchy as hell.

Sims thought he would end up with LO authorizations out of that deal. (Almost did)

Eta; the more I think about it, he might have got it?

Last edited by SLM; 03/13/22.
S
SLM Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Gonzaga, that’s your country. Did he get authorizations, or does he just pretty much control the hunts?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

330 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 264mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 2five7, 42 invisible), 2,739 guests, and 1,072 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,609
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.