Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by Riverc
Originally Posted by Hoglegs3006
I have some raised beds, 2 weekends ago I rigged up a mini greenhouse over a bed to get some stuff started. I got some scrap clear webbed 6mill plastic and 2x4s from work for the greenhouse. It's working good so far, we are still getting frost at night.

I got about 40 onions going and some artichokes. Hopefully 2022 is a better year for my garden, last you didn't do as good as I would have liked.

Sounds like a good idea on the greenhouse ..I worked (Tilled) my garden Saturday, will start planting in about 2 weeks.

With the rising price of food and everything else having a garden is a wise idea in my opinion, plus eating fresh veggies from your garden is very rewarding.

Hopefully I kill a buck or elk this year so I can fill the freezer with some game.

What kind of squash is everyone growing? I'm a big fan of butternuts and delicata

GB2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We plant a garden every year or at least for the last 7-8 seasons. My wife & I are passionate gardeners. We get lots of rain as others out East do too so we raised our beds. Plant what we preserve & stockpile what we can. I do most of the hunting but she fishes here on Champlain. Our freezers are always pretty full. We really love this time of year, starting seeds & growing 4” pots under lights

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Riverc Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
We plant a garden every year or at least for the last 7-8 seasons. My wife & I are passionate gardeners. We get lots of rain as others out East do too so we raised our beds. Plant what we preserve & stockpile what we can. I do most of the hunting but she fishes here on Champlain. Our freezers are always pretty full. We really love this time of year, starting seeds & growing 4” pots under lights

That's a nice and neat setup.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
In the planning stages for this year’s right now, focus is going to be stuff to can.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep, started the first summer in the new house, nothing like your own fresh produce !!

Did layer hens, in September of that year too, oh my, the eggs are another bounty !

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

So satisfying !!

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I may have to build some raised beds like these for tomatoes. We have had so much spring rain here the last few years, plants die.

Riverc Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Sure glad I haven't started planting yet. We have a cold blast 34 this morning looks like 28 tonight that's the first below freezing temperatures since 2013 for March.
Wife decided to start early on her flower plants and we spent over 1 hr covering everything up to avoid loss. One good thing it will be short lived back in the 70's and lows above freezing in a few days. I might plant green beans (pole) and radish next weekend.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I need to get mine tilled up

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks to a campfire member, I'm the owner of a sub-soiler. Before I disk the garden, I'm gonna run the sub-soiler and break up the hard pan. From experience doing that to a pasture, it helps 100%.

Gonna have to dry out before anything takes place.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Thats really nice, like it a lot. I’m not quite there with mine but working on it. I’m envious of the water body in the back view.

Last Year

Last edited by MarkWV; 03/12/22.
IC B3

Riverc Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MarkWV

Thats really nice, like it a lot. I’m not quite there with mine but working on it. I’m envious of the water body in the back view.

That looks good, neat and laid out nicely.

Last edited by Riverc; 03/12/22.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I always plow my garden in the fall, as that let's it dry better in the spring and I can plant earlier. I rotate my garden spots every few years and when I go to the new spot, I'll use a set of bottom plows to break the ground. After that, I will chisel plow the ground. Chiseling helps break the hard pan some, and doesn't disturb the soil quite as much. If I can ever get to doing it, the ideal thing would be to plant a cover crop every year and turn that under. The problem doing that is that our springs are usually wet, and the soil needs to be dry to be plowed.

I work my gardens with a variety of implements. A 3 bottom plow, a 5 shank chisel plow, a 10 foot disc harrow, a 4 foot 3 point hitch tiller on a small tractor, and a rear tine garden tiller. Each has it's place.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Riverc Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by roundoak

Like your fenced garden, I should do that got hit twice last fall lost damn near all my cabbage plants on one row, the next I lost a bunch of turnip plants.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I always plow my garden in the fall, as that let's it dry better in the spring and I can plant earlier. I rotate my garden spots every few years and when I go to the new spot, I'll use a set of bottom plows to break the ground. After that, I will chisel plow the ground. Chiseling helps break the hard pan some, and doesn't disturb the soil quite as much. If I can ever get to doing it, the ideal thing would be to plant a cover crop every year and turn that under. The problem doing that is that our springs are usually wet, and the soil needs to be dry to be plowed.

I work my gardens with a variety of implements. A 3 bottom plow, a 5 shank chisel plow, a 10 foot disc harrow, a 4 foot 3 point hitch tiller on a small tractor, and a rear tine garden tiller. Each has it's place.

JamesJr, you've got a lot more equipment than I do and it's too wet and hilly here to leave the ground plowed in the fall. Winter rains would wash your garden away. Until I got the sub soiler, I just disked it a few times, laid out the rows with my cub tractor and planted by hand. Use sweeps on the cub to keep the grass out of the middles.

I also move my garden spot from year to year. I plant on a pipeline and will vary which area I plant. Usually I plant a food plot for the deer and disk it under in the spring for the garden spot. I let the grass grow on the unplanted areas of the pipeline, but keep it bush hogged. About every 3 years, an area gets planted.

Riverc Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Today was a beautiful day planted Green Pole Beans, Zucchini. Radish, Eggplant, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Tomato, Cucumber, Sweet Banana Peppers and watermelon.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Riverc, Yall must not have been getting the rains we have. It's way to wet to even think about breaking up the garden, and they say we're gonna get more rain tonight and tomorrow.

Riverc Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Riverc, Yall must not have been getting the rains we have. It's way to wet to even think about breaking up the garden, and they say we're gonna get more rain tonight and tomorrow.

No not getting the rain like y'all getting up north. Get ready looks like another round is coming tomorrow. We might get 1-2 inches here in my area. The farmers down here were working their fields last week.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldman03

No not getting the rain like y'all getting up north. Get ready looks like another round is coming tomorrow. We might get 1-2 inches here in my area. The farmers down here were working their fields last week.

Yeah, the weather guessers say we might get from 2" - 6" tonight and tomorrow. But, I'd rather it be wet, than dry.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Today was a beautiful day planted Green Pole Beans, Zucchini. Radish, Eggplant, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Tomato, Cucumber, Sweet Banana Peppers and watermelon.

While I'll agree, Sunday was a beautiful day, we did not do any gardening !

grin

wink

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
698 members (17CalFan, 160user, 117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,678 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,798
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.