Print Thread
Hop To
R
rem141r Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
made it yesterday with a leftover christmas ham. i will be eating it for a couple days. real easy and delicious

ham bone with good amount of meat left on
quart of chicken stock
diced celery, carrots and onion
chunked potatoes
onion powder, s&p to taste i like a lot of pepper in it

put all but potatoes in a pot and add water to cover and bring to a boil for a bit and then simmer all day

pull bone out and dice the meat and put meat back in along with the potatoes

cook until potatoes are done and then about an hour before eating, make noodles

3 cups flour
2 eggs
water
salt

make the dough wet enough to form it up and then roll it out to about 1/4" thick and then cut into 2" or so squares and put into the pot and cook for an hour or whatever it takes to cook them thoroughly.

its called pot pie but its more like a soup.

same thing can be done with turkey or chicken carcass or even beef. the homemade noodles are a must. dried out noodles won't cut it.

i threw some leftover green beans at the end too.

My diploma is a DD214
GB1

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Man that sounds good, I’m trying this.

Lonster

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Made a pot of ham and cabbage soup yesterday. Ham, cabbage, little onion, carrots, coupla turnips. No taters for Keto Man. Wifey put a few rice noodles in hers.

We make real pie potpies using tart pans and the meat of the day. Really good with Crisco pie crust. An Insta Pot simplifies making the filling, unless you already have some stew or some such in hand.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Rem141 are you a Dutchie?

R
rem141r Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Ja

Mom's family was old school pa dutch. family legend was her ancestors came over with the hessian troops and decided to stay.

i am basically a lot of things. german, eye-tie, polish, etc. we ate good and i am carrying on the tradition. i make halupki, haluski, perogie, schnitzels, gnocci, bracciole, meata balls, etc.

this ham potpie is actually a copy of one that a little grocery store deli near bedford makes, but even better.

i am going on day 3 of this pot and it keeps getting better every day. i have another ham in the freezer that we will have for easter and the leftovers are destined for more of the same.

My diploma is a DD214
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I grew also on all that good stuff! I just stayed away from the tripe, pigs feet, blood pudding and all that scary stuff! I remember my grandfather’s friends coming over to our farm to butcher pigs. They spoke pa Dutch, no English. When they killed the pigs and put them on the trusses to shave and drain the blood. They would drink the blood right out of the animal!! Very traumatic for a little kid. Lol

R
rem141r Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
no ponhaus then? lol. i like ponhaus (scrapple) but only about once a year these days. tripe, blood pudding, etc is not my cup o' tea either. my dad liked that stuff. the pickled pigs feet served out of a big jar on the bar were ok but not something i would go out of my way for. one of my earliest memories is going to my uncles farm on butchering day and watching them shoot, gut and butcher pigs and then make ponhaus in big kettles. it would have been the mid-60's. it stunk to high heaven. when it was done they would pour it into bread pans greased with lard. we'd take a couple pans home and stick them in the fridge. when we pulled it out it looked like it had icing on it but it was congealed fat. those folks are all gone now. wish i had some pics. that was a different time.

My diploma is a DD214
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I actually love scrapple! We just made a batch 2 weeks ago. It wasn’t the process of what we did 40 years ago on the farm like you described. We got 23 pans.

R
rem141r Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
thats a lotta scrapple

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was trying to buy some scrapple off of eBay come out of Pennsylvania all fresh and new ,said that ship it then they kept me telling me that i got bad mail address bad ....mail address .....and they canceled my order ....but I kept going back and back and back .....finally they canceled my last order and then changed their free shipping to NO shipping up......here I ... miss my scrapple

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Love pot pie.

Don't like the juice thin though, ours ends up like a thin gravy from
the flour on the dough. Probably the only meal where I prefer
more filler (dough) and less meat.

Some good mayo/sour cream/vinegar coleslaw on the plate to go with it.
Let the juices mingle.....
IDGAD what the rich folks have for supper tonight,
I'm eating better!

Scrapple, and puddin.
Gotta have a bit of liver, but just a bit.
Commercial stuff has way too much.

Fried scrapple, maple syrup.
Puddin and buckwheat cakes, more maple syrup.

Reminds me, better get some syrup bought.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
R
rem141r Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
you can put a slurry of flour and water in the last 15 minutes or so and it will be thicker. i too like the noodles and make mine thick. after it sits in the fridge for a day it gets thicker too.

My diploma is a DD214
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Mail order scrapple! +1 on thickening up the broth on your pot pie! The one restaurant I was a chef at for 15 years did pot pie as a Sunday lunch/dinner special with the second bowl free. The local paper did a article about me and the pot pie. We would do 1500 people for lunch and dinner Sundays. So you can imagine the amount of dough that I was making and rolling. Those were the days when restaurants actually cooked from scratch.

R
rem141r Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
i'll bet they didn't have to serve many 2nd bowls. that stuff is filling between the potatoes and the thick noodles. i rarely get past the first one.

My diploma is a DD214

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1234, 57 invisible), 3,344 guests, and 1,124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,297
Posts18,468,035
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.