Print Thread
Hop To
M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Getting things sorted out for this years' trips to Namibia and my PH friend reminded me to make sure clients bring the new style US $100.00's with the blue security stripe for settling their final bill or exchanging for local currency. Starting a couple of years ago, during the Covid lockdowns, the Namibian banks and currency exchange offices started NOT accepting the "old style" $100.00. This little detail may have gotten lost in the fog of it all.

I am pretty sure this is the same now in several other countries as well. So, it would be highly advisable if you are going to ANY southern African country to hunt or vacation and plan on bringing USD to exchange, make sure you bring the new style with the blue security stripe or you might be SOL.

Last edited by M3taco; 03/14/22.
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Taco,

Surprised that you have not went over the reasons why they need to be the new bills?

Seeing as you are suggesting that you are advising clients to bring substantial amounts of USD.

Also You forgot:
1. No ink or pencil writing on the bills
2. No marker lines (the one business use to see if the bills are real).
3. No rips or tears in the bills
4. No missing corners on the bills
5. They do take $50 and $20 USD bills.

What is the amount that one can travel with and not report it to customs.

What happens if your client is caught taking large sums of USD out of the country and it is not report to customs.

Not to mention that if you with draw a sum of money from your bank it is reported to the IRS and the state department. Usually you are not told that unless you know your banker, and they tip you off. Like asking you the question, are you sure you want to do that.

I am thinking that there is a better way to pay your final tab than taking a large sum of money with you.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
This is really nothing new and has been the case for several years, at least in Namibia. Namibia went this route for several reasons the major ones were: a) lots of the old style counterfeit $100.00 USD bills coming into the banks they were tracing back and attributing the influx of the Chinese "invasion". b) High amount of black market trading with the counterfeit USD. By making it illegal for Namibian citizens to exchange USD for Namibian dollars it greatly slowed down (not completely stopped) the black market trade of USD for ND.

And yes, while this has been the case for several years, there are still a significant number of US clients who don't know any different and still pitch up with mixed old an new style to settle their bill at the end. That is why my friend ended up with several thousands of dollars worth of the old style. He accepted it to settle the account with the hope a repeat client (such as myself) would bring the proper bills and swap them out for him. In the meantime, he's stuck with a lot of money that he can't use to pay his bills with.

Incorrect regarding my advising bringing large amounts of cash. How you pay your final bill is between you and your PH/Outfitter. Most do not have a CC machine and most require you to pay any outstanding balance due before you leave. Travelers checks are not accepted in the banks. Bank certified checks are not accepted at the banks so, that pretty much leaves you very limited alternatives - cash. Maybe you can stop at an ATM on the way to the airport, but most of them have a $500 USD limit per day. There are just not a lot of other options available, not even PayPal. SOMETIMES, IF you're a repeat client the PH/Outfitter MIGHT let you wire the balance due back once you get home. Not too likely to happen if your a first time client.

As to your amount you can carry, there is no limit. However, IF you are carrying more than $10K US then you have to declare/report it. Here's where you can find all you need to know. https://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/kbyg/money

Your last point, "They do take $50 and 20$". If you're talking about the banks and/or currency exchange offices, that I don't know for certain, because I've never tried to exchange anything less than $100.00. The prohibition of Namibian citizens from ANY legal exchange of ANY foreign currency still stands. There is one minor loophole - South African Rand is legal tender in Namibia but, Namibian Dollars are NOT legal tender in RSA.

I believe the bank reporting laws to the Feds was changed a few years ago. While they are still required to report every transaction over $10K US to the Feds, that was broadened to include ANY unusual activity.

The "better way to do it" is actually the most common. You have to divide this into two separate situations: a) you booked your hunt thru a US based Outfitter/booking agent. In that case all monies are sent to him in the US and it's his responsibility to pay the outfitter. b) where you deal directly with the PH/Outfitter in the country in question and you're wiring pre-hunt funds to him (deposit) to lock in your hunt and dates, then usually a follow-on agreed to amount sometime around the 30-day point before you arrive. If your hunting a package hunt, then that would be the balance of the cost of the package hunt. Then what happens if once your "there" and you decide to take one or more added animals and now you end up owing several thousand more to the PH/Outfitter. Oh, and tips, say a nominal average of 10% or more. Oh, then add on some cash to exchange for local currency for souvenirs from road side vendors etc. Not all stores or shop are set up for CCs. Then what about a little emergency cash in your pocket JUST IN CASE your CC gets shut off due to suspected fraudulent activity and you don't have any way to call your CC provider because you don't have cell service. (this has happened to me twice).

One way to reduce the amount of cash you carry is IF you're doing a straight daily rate and individual trophy fee hunt is before you go is to discuss "a plan" with your PH. Most will say something along the lines of wire over 100%of your total daily rates and 50% of your anticipated trophy fees and then bring cash to settle out your bill and any tips

The big thing everyone needs to understand is it is NOT as easy for PH/Outfitters to refund over paid wired over fees. Why? One, because all the hunts are offered and advertised in USD. We wire over USD and somewhere between our bank and their bank the money is exchanged for the local currency. So, IF you've overpaid in your wires. Are you willing to take your refund in the local currency or will you expect them to refund you in USD. That ties this all back to the fact that it is illegal (at least I know in Namibia) for a Namibian citizen to exchange Namibian dollars to foreign currency (other than SA Rand).

Maybe, your outfitter has a CC machine like my friends in Botswana and you can settle out your account before you leave on your CC. However, if your CC provider is like mine, I have to call ahead to pre-authorize any "unusual and large purchases" even in the US. So, IF you can call your CC from the middle of nowhere and tell give them the amount and the name of the business that's going to hit your card, you're golden.

I understand I've gotten way to far down in the weeds on this for many but, there is some tried and tested methods that work the best. i.e.- wire over the bulk of your anticipated total fees and tips. Carry the balance in cash to settle out your account or make damn sure you've sorted out "a plan" with your PH BEFORE you go. Might even be a good idea to discuss BEFORE you book.

Again, my original intent on posting was to pass along some info that a first timer or someone who may not have been in a few years, keep from getting jammed up at the end and not be able to settle his account or exchange all the currency he may have been stashing away under the bed for a few years for his once in life time trip.

Hope the above was helpful.

Michael

Edited to add - several years ago, I took a repeat client to Namibia. He had to pay for the balance of this hunt and the previous year's taxidermy bill. Taxidermy bill was crazy. Lots of full shoulder mounts, including a giraffe. He carried well over $35K out with him in a bundle in his carry-on backpack. Had the Customs form filled out and ready and in with the cash. We went thru our departure TSA security - not a peep. Went thru Atlanta TSA security - not a peep. Went thru Jberg security - not a peep. Go figure.

Edited to add again - "Well, if your paying him in USD cash and it's not legal for him to exchange it, then how does he do it". Simple, on the way to the airport, you will make a stop at either a bank or currency exchange office and you will exchange the proper amount of UDS and give him the exchanged cash. The other option is IF a bank or exchange office is not open for some reason, then you just pay the PH in USD and another US client coming in will do the exchange when doing theirs.

Last edited by M3taco; 03/14/22.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I paid my Namibian outfitter with a Swift transfer, and settled up with a credit card. Made carrying a bunch of cash a moot point. Also, if a guy has to overnight in J'burg (God forbid), Africa Sky is my rec for a variety of reasons, amongst them is they have (or at least had for several years) a US bank account that you could go make a direct deposit into their account for your stay. Too easy.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have never wanted to take a lot of cash. I started out taking travelers cheques. Now I use TransferWise (https://wise.com/). I also have an account setup that doesn't charge fees to access foreign tellers and has very low conversion fees. I draw money at ATM machine in local currency rather than paying bank currency exchange rates.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
IC B2

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
This whole 'pay in specific cash' and all the added fees are why I'll probably never hunt Africa.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If a dude shows up with a bunch of the older $100 bills, what does the outfitter actually do? Hold him hostage until he somehow gets the proper currency sent? Not sure how this would play out in practice.

M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Gents - this "old" vs "new" currency is not just about settling your final bill. This includes all foreign travel wherein you want/need to exchange USD for any local currency. The exchange bureaus nor banks in any foreign country will not exchange the old style whether it be for you or your PH - period. You MAY find some black market money changer but, you'll take a beating on the rates.......or maybe just a beating and only a one way exchange.

WNR, curiosity question - what would you do or how would you handle the situation if someone you don't know or had any dealings with, came to your place, ran up a significant bill that was only 50%-75% paid for in advance and then offered you some form of paper that you could not convert to a form of money you can use?

There are lots of ways you can sort something out but, my point is why put yourself and your PH/Outfitter into a needlessly problematic situation that can be so easily avoided with just a little forethought and planning.

Again, my only point/intent of posting this was and remains - just possibly useful info to maybe help make your trip go as smoothly as possible.

Edited to add: My wife and I travel/vacation overseas a good bit. Between us, we take just one CC each and split some cash. The amount of cash depends on where we are going and for how long - could be a couple of thousand each. Why? We use the CC's for most of our purchases when we can and they are accepted. We always exchange a little US for local or take a little out of an ATM. The primary reason we take extra cash is, you just never know what happens. We've had our CC provider lock our CC while traveling due to "suspected fraudulent activity" twice and while traveling alone, it's happened to me twice. Traveling with my wife it's not a big deal but traveling alone and having to pay hotel bills etc. to get home. Only alternative was cash in my pocket.

Again, simply trying to give a heads up to make a trip go as smooth as possible.

Last edited by M3taco; 04/28/22.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Other than having a little pocket cash in the local currency upon arrival. I don't take paper money with me. I use Credit Cards and ATM cards. Regarding the outfitter in all are going to have an internet connection in camp. You can easily send the deposit by wire/SWIFT and then in Camp settle the same way. Several Credit Card issuers have no foreign transaction fee and some banks have no international transaction fee ATM cards too. Gone are the days of Traveller Checks and going to the exchange office to convert.

Last edited by wesheltonj; 04/28/22.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
199 members (32_20fan, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 28 invisible), 2,064 guests, and 969 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,645
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.