-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The coyotes that I’ve seen and shot were all from a tree stand while deer hunting, but since a guy can see a lot farther in heavy cover from a tree, wouldn’t it be pretty effective for calling with an e-caller?

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Once.
I bowhunted a place and always heard coyotes.
One day I took my e caller and 22 mag when bowhunting.
I left them at base of tree and bowhunted till two hours after sun up. No deer. I climbed down, dropped my bow, set up my caller 30 yards from my tree. Climbed back up with my rifle. Turned on the caller and shot a coyote in less than five minutes, at 40 yards.

NRA Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've called & killed a number of them with both shotgun and rifle from tree stands.

In heavier cover, I'd run across tracks earlier in the day so had a good idea on where to set up (with ample tree stands to choose from).
But calling blind in heavier cover (with no idea on where they might show up) will oftentimes result in them getting downwind.

Our region's open farm ground (flat-as-a-board) has a tree stand or elevated blind on seemingly every fence line so that's made it pretty easy to get elevated.

I pretty much hunt at night now so haven't been in a tree in quite some time but yeah, it can work.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I don’t think that the coyotes where I deer hunt have ever seen a field. The problem calling from the ground in a thick woods is that I would educate way more varmints than I would ever see. Over a lot of years, I have a number of trees brushed up that would sure work well for varmint calling during the off season. Thus far I’ve only called crows with my Fox Pro, but putting it farther away from the tree stand and having a better shot angle for longer shots at a coyote sure seems like it would work well.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Shot a few from treestands while calling.
The added visibility is great. But shots are under 100 as no support.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't ever believe that coyotes or bobcats won't look up. I have been picked off by coyotes and bobcats while in a treestand just as quickly as if I were on the ground.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
They sure can be and up here in winter those are great calling blinds.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by MOGC
Don't ever believe that coyotes or bobcats won't look up. I have been picked off by coyotes and bobcats while in a treestand just as quickly as if I were on the ground.

I’ve had coyotes pick me off in a tree stand while bowhunting deer. They do look up.

NRA Patron
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Coyotes can pin point the direction within 1* at 1000 yds, and they do look up!

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by dale06
Originally Posted by MOGC

I’ve had coyotes pick me off in a tree stand while bowhunting deer. They do look up.

Very true dale. In northern Minnesota most stands that guys have up or built generally have long shooting lanes cut or a field or swamp they look over, again for longer shooting opportunities. You can take critters farther out and minimize your being spotted first.
Most stands I run across up here also have some sort of wood, canvas, whatever skirting about railing hi around the stand edges to hide the deer hunters movements. Works well on varmints.
When prowling about in the back country on atv or snowgo I try to remember a cordless drill and some screws. I’m sure more than one hunter has wondered the next fall about who had come and fixed a step or board for them. 5 minutes labor and a few screws to improve a hopefully great predator location.
Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
IC B3

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
sure if its easy and fast to get in and out ... i like to move around and see how close i can get before shooting

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Tree stand works. Ground works. Use what you got. I always do ground but if I had a tree stand id sure attempt it and see if it helped me see. The real advantage would be getting the caller up that high to send the sound out further.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

420 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 39 invisible), 2,007 guests, and 1,091 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,746
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.