Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
My brother recently sold a hunting rifle and shipped it to the buyer via UPS. He shipped it from Utah to Alabama. It cost him about $82!!!!

That just seems outrageous to me. mad What are you guys being charged for shipping typically? Is Fed Ex any better than UPS?

Thanks!

BP-B6

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Damn !

I mailed parts for a rifle project about a month ago and it was $60 ish with no insurance via USPS.
Too damn much !

Last edited by mibowhunter; 03/15/22.

TB, CWD and Covid-19 , free so far.....
V
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
V
Oh yeah, the last few rifles i have sold on the fire have cost me $50+ to ship (Virginia to Georgia and the other Virginia to Oklahoma) and that's with no insurance as UPS insurance policy is a joke and almost impossible to collect on .....Hb

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ElkSnort
My brother recently sold a hunting rifle and shipped it to the buyer via UPS. He shipped it from Utah to Alabama. It cost him about $82!!!!

That just seems outrageous to me. mad What are you guys being charged for shipping typically? Is Fed Ex any better than UPS?

Thanks!

I've shipped to Alaska for about that price and it included insurance.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
V
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Thanks!

How long has this been though? Have you shipped lately?.....Hb

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly

Thanks!

Yep, shipped one a couple months ago... Sent it all the way to Soldotna.. Shipping costs have been pretty high for a while.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've shipped rifles many times, including last fall across the country and I think the most I've paid at USPS has been around $50 or so.

It's important to keep the package as small as possible. If it is even 1/8" over the length, width, or depth allowed in a package pricing level it goes up to the next size pricing level and it sometimes makes a big difference...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
USPS Priority Mail is currently the cheapest game in town.

Last week, I shipped a firearm from the East Coast to the Left Coast and it cost me right at $50. Yesterday I shipped a long gun from WV to TX for $35.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used to ship FedEx and it would run me roughly $50. The last gun I shipped they quoted me $125. And it was only going to the Midwest. I'm done shipping guns

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Everything that happens in a provider's network - affects the entire network and prices rise to cover.

That said - we're 2 years in and the excuse of "Covid, lack of infrastructure and labor costs" are just that - an excuse, not a reason now for surcharges.

Small package or parcel is "final mile" logistics where density has a ton to do with cost - and it's hard to drive out costs when you don't have it. Depending on OD pair - you may have seen increases there as well as cost of insurance for a firearm.

UPS is so far in bed with Amazon - when Amazon does their own logistics, it's going to kill them. The new CEO - while making waves, might not be all that great at keeping UPS the juggernaut it is as well. I think Coyote is helping their bottom line by more than a little bit.

Article here on FedEx and surcharges - things referenced are pretty applicable to everyone. FedEx Surcharges

Me

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I work for UPS and I use the USPS. Shipped a rifle and packed it WELL to Eddie Fosnaugh in Michigan and it cost me $40.

Have you seen the cost of fuel lately? Don’t think that any of these shipping companies are not gonna pass that onto you as a customer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sheister

It's important to keep the package as small as possible.
If it is even 1/8" over the length, width, or depth allowed in a package pricing level it goes up to the next size pricing level and it sometimes makes a big difference...

Yep.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by Sheister

It's important to keep the package as small as possible.
If it is even 1/8" over the length, width, or depth allowed in a package pricing level it goes up to the next size pricing level and it sometimes makes a big difference...

Yep.

For UPS, anything over 48" long is an "Oversized" package. The difference between 48" and 49" can double the cost. Also, an FFL dealer operating out of his house is going to cost a lot more to deliver to than a store "in town" on the normal UPS travel route. I've sent stuff cheaper to the West Coast than to a rural address in my own state!

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I just shipped a handgun to someone here VIA postal service. The shipping was about 25 bucks and I put 1500 insurance which added another 25 dollars. There was something else, I cant recall without looking at the receipt but I think my total was $54.

I am not going to send an expensive item through any carrier uninsured, especially as frequently as things get screwed up. I know there are plenty here who want to cut corners and be cheap at every opportunity, but I won't risk it.

I tape the living snot out of my packages and I put insurance on everything.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I just shipped 2 rifles in a wooden crate fully insured for 62.00. The key is to. 1 remove stock from action. 2 ship from ups hub. Those 2 things will cut the cost in half. Crate was 39x14 x7 and weighed 36 pounds.

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly

Thanks!

Yep, shipped one a couple months ago... Sent it all the way to Soldotna.. Shipping costs have been pretty high for a while.

Yep I give guys a heads up when they ship up here. I usually cover the difference. I tell them do not ship UPS last person who did that paid $165 bucks. They told me afterwards, if I pay the difference or I am picking up shipping then it goes usps..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
SHIPMYGUNS.com. ................Thank me later.

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Shipped one to Alaska last year through USPS for $127.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
The best advice I can give is to get a FedEx or UPS account or try to ship through something like Pirateship.com. Never pay full retail as you will get hammered. Actual weight won't kill you but dimensional weight will. Anything over 48" (as mentioned above) gets hammered. I buy boxes from amazon that are 4"x8"x46". My average long gun shipment is under $25 in the CONUS not counting packaging or insurance.

Insurance is smart if you are just shipping a few guns now and then. However, if you ever actually have to file a claim you will learn that the insurance people (for any of the carriers) full time job is to make sure you DON"T get paid. I ship enough guns that it has made more sense to simply open a savings/investment account and put a few bucks into the account for every gun I ship and just self-insure. Actual damage is very rare if guns are packaged properly. The only claims I have had after many 100s of guns shipped were a couple of cracked stocks that I was confident weren't that way when they shipped out. Since I am the insurance company it is way easier to handle claims with offers to return, repair or settle for cash. I have been able to keep buyers happy and not drag things out for weeks waiting on insurance settlements.

One horror story...a good friend is a custom rifle builder. He built a high end rifle off of a new Rem 700. Insured it for the full sales price of the custom ($4-5K if I remember correctly). UPS or Fedex truck rolls and bends the rifle...no question they caused the damage. They only pay him $700 to cover the retail cost of replacing a Rem 700 at the time. So he is out the difference despite paying extra for full insurance on this and many other rifles.

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
I sold something on gunbroker just last week. It was going to be $19.50 to ship it ground, however I opted to get $4000 insurance increasing the price to $69.03. Seemed somewhat reasonable to me given the value of the item and fuel prices.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
729 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 87 invisible), 2,724 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,698
Posts18,399,950
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.