Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by Higginez
It’s ok if CCCC doesn’t get it. Too many years in college trying to make music into a math equation when you play the Flugelhorn will do that to ya! Hold into the treble clef!

You can do the evasive "ha", nope" and "lmfao" all you wish (kinda like Kamala cackling), and like most who get caught without evidence, you resort to snide ad hominem attacks - but your hole gets deeper.

Why not provide us with some musical theory analytical evidence of the evolution of Coltrane's improvisational journey and growth - why not provide some of your analysis of his uses of germ motive and thematic invention over a given harmonic structure, or cite the practice materials he used to develop his fingering technique and articulation?

Then, do the same using your knowledge of Hendrix. Do you have such skill and knowledge - because folks who study such performers do.

My original comment on your post is based on such comparisons. What you posted above causes you to come across as a phony dilettante who has definite preferences and opinions (which is just fine) but no substance to support them. Does the above sound like a flugelhorn?

The beauty of music is that you don't have to know anything about it to make it, which has a tendency to piss off a classically trained theory snob such as yourself.

My understanding of music theory has nothing to do with my statement and you know it, yet here you are using big university words and comparing me to Kamala Harris. WTF?

Since when is creativity defined to bars on a sheet of paper? Is that like crayon books and paint by number?
Wonder how Leonardo, Vermeer, Rembrandt, Matisse, Renoir, Boticelli would ponder of that.

Read it again - my post said nothing about a sheet of paper - musical creativity begins in the mind and is made manifest to others ears in performance and also in written form, for those who know how to read. The more highly developed the musical skills, knowledge and understanding, and refinement of one's ear, the more one is able to discern and discriminate among types of music artists.

You are correct - many others, including me, have been able to make music without knowing much of anything about it. But even with such naive enjoyment, some choose to study, and practice and dig deeper into the art. I know someone who got started as a stupid kid picking at a keyboard and pursued such development for more than 70 years. Your post seems to paint such striving and development as some sort of detriment.

You know absolutely nothing about my musical training, performance and preferences - which have extended to all forms of the art - but you are so ignorant and defensive as to call one a "classically trained theory snob " and pretend that I am pissed. Rarely if ever do I become pissed - but at times I am tempted to expose a defensive pretender..

You are compared with Kamala because your little snide reactions and inanities here smack of the same stuff as her ridiculous cackle when confronted with something beyond her ken. Do you still feel like pretending to understand something you do not?

Didn't attack you, dude. But, since you decided to be a total ignorant dick..

You sure used a lot of words to prove your ignorant, pompous fugkery.

It's his calling card.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Hendrix was a genius ala John Coltrane.

This is the most gross misstatement seen so far on the Campfire. Utter nonsense.

Not trying to jump on a scrum, pick a bone, or question your musical background/theory knowledge, nor your personal tastes - sincerely.

But, maybe you haven’t listened to much Hendrix, besides the obligatory stuff? Or maybe you have…

Hard for me see your take on this congruously.

But, that’s cool.

I’d also edit to ask - what was your primary instrument? Assuming you are or were a musician/performer, as well as a student of theory.

Last edited by Mr_Harry; 03/15/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mr_Harry

This is the most gross misstatement seen so far on the Campfire. Utter nonsense.

Not trying to jump on a scrum, pick a bone, or question your musical background/theory knowledge, nor your personal tastes - sincerely.
But, maybe you haven’t listened to much Hendrix, besides the obligatory stuff? Or maybe you have…
But, that’s cool.
I’d also edit to ask - what was your primary instrument? Assuming you are or were a musician/performer, as well as a student of theory.

No problems - and I do understand why it can be hard to "see my take" . But - it is informed and studied - and that post about Hendrix/Coltrane came across to me as I characterized it.

Having taught hundreds of HS and college kids in the 1960s and 1970s, Hendrix was constantly brought up to me and I honored the student interest and enthusiasm by listening to what they brought - hours of it - just about all of every album. I have said NOTHING negative about Hendrix music here. I did take the time to explain the main thrust of his innovation, aside from some unique renditions of some "songs", which was his ventures into use of electronic-aided gadgetry - guitar/amp/effects, etc..

Coltrane's artistry was deep with melodic/harmonic/rhythmic improvisation and innovation based on extensive musical technique and development - and involved with other GREAT musicians. Thus - my statement about the poster's comparison - not at all about Hendrix playing.

To answer your question, in short, I have studied and played the following - bass, piano/keyboards/synthesizer, all reed woodwinds and flute - and have been a student and teacher of music theory, composer/arranger for all sorts of music, and conductor/performer - in normal symphonic and small orchestral and band formats, jazz groups small and large, pop and rock in my younger years, and what has become my favorite - worship music. It is a bunch - I am old. Such lengthy and deep endeavors tend to bring discernment.

Last edited by CCCC; 03/16/22.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by add
It’s ok if CCCC doesn’t get it. Too many years in college trying to make music into a math equation when you play the Flugelhorn will do that to ya! Hold into the treble clef!

You can do the evasive "ha", nope" and "lmfao" all you wish (kinda like Kamala cackling), and like most who get caught without evidence, you resort to snide ad hominem attacks - but your hole gets deeper.

Why not provide us with some musical theory analytical evidence of the evolution of Coltrane's improvisational journey and growth - why not provide some of your analysis of his uses of germ motive and thematic invention over a given harmonic structure, or cite the practice materials he used to develop his fingering technique and articulation?

Then, do the same using your knowledge of Hendrix. Do you have such skill and knowledge - because folks who study such performers do.

My original comment on your post is based on such comparisons. What you posted above causes you to come across as a phony dilettante who has definite preferences and opinions (which is just fine) but no substance to support them. Does the above sound like a flugelhorn?

The beauty of music is that you don't have to know anything about it to make it, which has a tendency to piss off a classically trained theory snob such as yourself.

My understanding of music theory has nothing to do with my statement and you know it, yet here you are using big university words and comparing me to Kamala Harris. WTF?

Since when is creativity defined to bars on a sheet of paper? Is that like crayon books and paint by number?
Wonder how Leonardo, Vermeer, Rembrandt, Matisse, Renoir, Boticelli would ponder of that.

Read it again - my post said nothing about a sheet of paper - musical creativity begins in the mind and is made manifest to others ears in performance and also in written form, for those who know how to read. The more highly developed the musical skills, knowledge and understanding, and refinement of one's ear, the more one is able to discern and discriminate among types of music artists.

You are correct - many others, including me, have been able to make music without knowing much of anything about it. But even with such naive enjoyment, some choose to study, and practice and dig deeper into the art. I know someone who got started as a stupid kid picking at a keyboard and pursued such development for more than 70 years. Your post seems to paint such striving and development as some sort of detriment.

You know absolutely nothing about my musical training, performance and preferences - which have extended to all forms of the art - but you are so ignorant and defensive as to call one a "classically trained theory snob " and pretend that I am pissed. Rarely if ever do I become pissed - but at times I am tempted to expose a defensive pretender..

You are compared with Kamala because your little snide reactions and inanities here smack of the same stuff as her ridiculous cackle when confronted with something beyond her ken. Do you still feel like pretending to understand something you do not?

It's his calling card.

Try this - you know nothing.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by add

It's his calling card.

Try this - you know nothing.

You come on a friendly thread and totally fugk it up and then can't STFU. Why do you continue to insist on pissing all over yourself?

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Of those still living, Bonamassa hands down! SRV for those dearly departed.

Last edited by jaytee; 03/16/22.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Any love for Eddie Shaver? Another one gone too soon

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rhythm, Malcom Young. For lead (& rhythm), John Frusciante.

Given “best” could be many things, there are many “great” guitarists, but these two for their shear volume of work, both over decades, both listenable and interesting and of course, successful.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by sandcritter
Rhythm, Malcom Young. For lead (& rhythm).

Yep. Ole Malcom was a hell of a great rythm guitar player!
Definitely one of the greats in a hard rock band !

Too bad that he finally succumbed to the years of booze a hard living.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You come on a friendly thread and totally fugk it up and then can't STFU. Why do you continue to insist on pissing all over yourself?
What a poor sensitive soul you must be - you discount a guy's other posts on the theme of guitar players, but simply can't stand it - ruins your thread - when he disagrees with a useless comparison and gives rationale. Dear, dear fragile soul - please don't be ruined. Do you have pablum for breakfast?

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Why do I have to press 1, for English?
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by sandcritter
Rhythm, Malcom Young. For lead (& rhythm).

Yep. Ole Malcom was a hell of a great rythm guitar player!
Definitely one of the greats in a hard rock band !

Too bad that he finally succumbed to the years of booze a hard living.

One of the sad things is he had quit drinking but, the booze had done it's bad work already.

Why do I have to press 1, for English?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Jimmy Page just hanging out with his guitar

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
What a poor sensitive soul you must be - you discount a guy's other posts on the theme of guitar players, but simply can't stand it - ruins your thread - when he disagrees with a useless comparison and gives rationale. Dear, dear fragile soul - please don't be ruined. Do you have pablum for breakfast?

It's not my thread, you ignorant old fugk. Do the world a solid. Go crawl in a ditch and shoot yourself in the head.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
NOT saying he's in the stratosphere of the all time best, but check out Lukas Nelson. He's Willie's son. He is a rare talent for his age group on the guitar.

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

BB King plays Yngwie Malmsteen (Black Star):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgmN14-qnuk

Yngwie Malmsteen (Black Star):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmFzT_BtVLk

Jimmy Page - perfected Rock

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
So if Hendrix was white would he still be #1?

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Mr_Harry

But, that’s cool.

Hendrix's Blues album is one of the greatest blues album ever. Most folks havent heard it.

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by roverboy

Problem with him is he is a one trick pony. Saw him live back in 2006, he does put on a good show. I wish I had his energy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Yeah, he can play guitar, bass and drums and ***ANY*** style and genre of music.

Clues:

Blues, classical, metal, neo-classical, rock, country, ad infinitum.

STUDY UP.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

717 members (1936M71, 160user, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 19rabbit52, 72 invisible), 3,102 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,582
Posts18,454,167
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.