24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

My Dad had a copy of this which I read as kid growing up in eastern Washington and thought it was really interesting. One of my Dad's friend's remembered hunting before chukars were introduced which to me at the time seemed like ancient times shocked

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/r...introduction-life-history-and-management

One thing that's interesting is you always hear that pen raised birds won't make it but the book states they were instrumental. I'm guessing predator control was a lot more active back then.

[Linked Image from lh3.googleusercontent.com]

[Linked Image from lh3.googleusercontent.com]

Quando omni flunkus moritati
BP-B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
There was aggressive predator control in the 1950's in NV, and the chukar populations were enormous in 1957 and 1958. I remember driving up Leadville Canyon and seeing so many birds the hillsides looked like they were lice infested. The limit was 7/day then, and several times I stood in one spot with my SXS 20ga and shot a limit, as our dogs worked the birds and retrieved.

The 40 year drought cycle we're in, West Nile, Mining, and ATV/UTV proliferation have knocked all that back about 80-90%.

TV has become nothing more than the Petri dish where this country grows its idiots.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting reading. I give 'em a pass, just not many of 'em here on the east side of the state. A few around Eureka in the Diamonds, nothing like 20 yrs ago.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Growing up in Humboldt County NV back in the 60-70 s I remember bunches as large as 80-100 birds!! Especially late season when snow moved them down.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Why do you guys think the chukar numbers have declined so much over the years?

Quando omni flunkus moritati
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Numbers are still pretty good in E Oregon, SW Idaho and central Washington. Never chukar hunted NV though.

There are a lot more hawks now it seems. Would have loved to have hunted them 50 years ago

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Whiptail

Why do you guys think the chukar numbers have declined so much over the years?

"The 40 year drought cycle we're in, West Nile, Mining, and ATV/UTV proliferation have knocked all that back about 80-90%."

TV has become nothing more than the Petri dish where this country grows its idiots.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Basco
Growing up in Humboldt County NV back in the 60-70 s I remember bunches as large as 80-100 birds!! Especially late season when snow moved them down.

We used to drive up Grand Trunk back then and shoot plenty of birds just outside of Winnemucca, then came mining, new people, 4 wheel drive vehicle proliferation, mining, and lots of new people, and did I say mining?

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
And Game Depts continuing to lengthen seasons. You can have quality or quantity when it comes to number of hunting days ( Depts prefer to call it ‘hunting opportunity’)

Personally I d rather have few days and better bird numbers than thin numbers but lots of days!! Birds and BG get too much pressure for too long each season IMO. ( we all know long seasons sell more licenses and tags; say Money)

B
B
Basco is right . Oregon season always ended in last of December but the director wanted the upland season for chukars to carry in to Jan of the next year . To get the next year licenses bought early . My friend one of the bios was at that meeting and said he did not think it was a good idea to have hunters chasing the birds in winter conditions and was told it did not mater because that was what the director wanted . In Oregon we always had up and down on numbers with winter die off or to wet springs etc , The big die off with the bird flue about 10 years ago was what really put the hurt on our birds . Some areas that I hunt are just now starting to get a few birds back that used to have plenty before .

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by weaselsRus
Interesting reading. I give 'em a pass, just not many of 'em here on the east side of the state. A few around Eureka in the Diamonds, nothing like 20 yrs ago.

We still have a bunch here where I grew up. Hear and see plenty. Plan on hunting the hell out of them again too...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'm 85 now but through the years I chased them in California and Nevada and Idaho until my legs gave out. When I first started after them I was six feet two inches tall. They wore me down to five foot ten inches but it was fun while it lasted

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
The western winter of '95 didn't make a lot of headlines because it only killed 28 people, but it broke a lot of snow records and then froze hard for weeks. Places in Northern Nev and E. Oregon had to feed cattle with dozers in big circles, and mule deer would come in the circles with the cattle to feed. Their trails were easy to see, because they were bloody from ice crust cuts on their legs...sickening. I don't think many birds survived that. And that was about the time that license and tag funds were shifted away from game management to studying lizards, bugs, and rare mice, so chukar planting numbers crashed.
Windridge mentioned Leadville canyon, I used to drive that a lot, working on a rock crusher outfit, back when ATV's got popular and cheap. The 'sportsmen' used to patrol the county road in herds, along the creek like it was the Berlin Wall, keeping the birds from water. Never saw a game warden.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I’m a pretty avid upland hunter and I’ve often thought I was born 50 years late. I don’t believe I’ll ever see the upland numbers some of you gentlemen have.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I was at the range the other day and 2 chukar walked across the range at about 50 yards away. Before I saw them, I heard them so I knew they were really close. First I saw one pop up over the dirt berm on the right hand side, then it started walking down and onto the range, then the other one came along. I stopped shooting and they walked right by, not even paying attention to me sitting at the bench:

It was cool seeing them that close.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

We still have a bunch here where I grew up. Hear and see plenty. Plan on hunting the hell out of them again too...

Looks familiar, where did you grow up? We're in Ely.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Looks familiar, where did you grow up? We're in Ely.

Winnemucca.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some years back they were running field trials right down the hill from me. On consecutive days I had a chukar and a pheasant walk right past the house... Too bad they did not make it long term!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Alive and well. Today's trip to the range. Dumb birds!!

This ugly thing, not so much:

As I was leaving the range:
I like to see them around here. I used to hunt the heck out of them when I was younger.

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
264 members (1lessdog, 257 mag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 22 invisible), 1,775 guests, and 929 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,943
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.