Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#17072778 03/17/22
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone here apply some sort of lube to their bag? Specifically, the front bag on whatever type of rest you use.

For example, a narrow Protektor or Caldwell with the leather material where the rifle stock rests.

My plastic stocked rifles don't slip freely on this material. I have used baby powder in the past, messy.

I'm considering using a silicone grease. Or KY would draw interesting comments from fellow shooters I suppose. Good for a grin though.

I do wipe my bag and fore stock with cloth before shooting, but there is still "stiction" where stock will not slide freely.

Thoughts?

GOA
GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
I guess I would try a piece of wax paper or parchment paper before I'd get into greases, lubes or powders. Probably work and no clean-up to speak of, other than wad it up and throw it in the trash at the range.

Mathew 22: 37-39

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Must...not...make...joke...

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Beat me to it.

The way life should be.
X
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
X
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Must...not...make...joke...

Glad it's not just me.

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Whew !! I thought this was gonna be XXX for sure . Try a piece of nylon material , it's slippery without being messy .

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not what I thought I was going to see.

There is a big difference between rubbing lotion on your bag and rubbing your bag with lotion.......

Couldn't resist.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs
Anyone here apply some sort of lube to their bag? Specifically, the front bag on whatever type of rest you use.

For example, a narrow Protektor or Caldwell with the leather material where the rifle stock rests.

My plastic stocked rifles don't slip freely on this material. I have used baby powder in the past, messy.

I'm considering using a silicone grease. Or KY would draw interesting comments from fellow shooters I suppose. Good for a grin though.

I do wipe my bag and fore stock with cloth before shooting, but there is still "stiction" where stock will not slide freely.

Thoughts?

Can’t deal with baby powder but gots the stickies?
They sell Teflon tape that goes on the forearm. How it comes off, don’t know as I have only seen it on BR rifles.
In your case I think this is the easiest solution.

https://protektormodel.com/products/1-small-owl-ear-front-bag?variant=16199985070170

They work.

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cra1948
I guess I would try a piece of wax paper or parchment paper before I'd get into greases, lubes or powders. Probably work and no clean-up to speak of, other than wad it up and throw it in the trash at the range.

Might be a solution cra1948. Or a thin cloth. I recall Jb saying he'll sometimes lay a towel over bag to make surface a bit softer as I recall.

Otherwise, there's lots of opportunity for this thread to be sort of entertaining?

Here's some comments from the br folks I found via google:

Secret women's spray deodorant with powder works well if you can still find it. Would jock itch powder work too?

Sinclair bag wax, works no matter what the humidity is

https://shop.kgcoatings.com/kg/product/kg-9-micro-ptfe-leatherkote/

Bacon grease

GOA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Apply Teflon tape to bag?

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks swifty, the slick silver might be worth a look.

Since I been seeing all the class action lawyer 3rd world tv ads about women using baby powder (talc) and getting vageeny cancer I don't want to risk me using baby powder on the front bag and getting cancer.

Ideal is a substance I can apply with a swab on the bag and have it stay moist during my shooting session. Then wipe off after done.

Last edited by Mr_TooDogs; 03/17/22.

GOA
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Back in the day the old benchresters used to use Motor Mica which was not messy...nowadays I think you can go to the hardware and next to the graphite lock lube, there is usually some 'white graphite'. I use spray silicone, not as good, but no mess at all. I see various outfits selling sandbags with grippy black rubber on them...wtf? isn't that the opposite of what is needed?

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GeoW
Apply Teflon tape to bag?

No, the stock.

Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs
Thanks swifty, the slick silver might be worth a look.

Since I been seeing all the class action lawyer 3rd world tv ads about women using baby powder (talc) and getting vageeny cancer I don't want to risk me using baby powder on the front bag and getting cancer.

Ideal is a substance I can apply with a swab on the bag and have it stay moist during my shooting session. Then wipe off after done.

Leather doesn’t really work that way, most of my front bags are so old they are naturally slick. Gave you the easiest solution since you don’t like baby powder which takes away moisture and makes the bag slicker, but you want to do the reverse by adding moisture that won’t soak into the leather.

Carry on. Rabbit hole not leading to wonderland forthcoming.

Swifty
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I place two playing cards under my rifle stock on the front bag. Seems to work for me.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I'd just use my "wild rag" - a cowboy's neckerchief, often made of silk or a silk blend.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dryer sheets rubbed on the bags is pretty common. You definitely don't want any sort of oily lube. I normally use baby powder on the rear bag but in high humidity it can get sticky....then I switch to something else even with stock tape on the BR guns. The best stock tape is PTFE which is normally tan in color. I have some clear PTFE tape from an industrial application but it's very hard to get.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I want to find some of the stuff that Clark Griswold used on the bottom of the disk Christmas Vacation.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
100% Neatsfoot oil the hell out of everything, good stuff.

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunner500
100% Neatsfoot oil the hell out of everything, good stuff.

Neets soaks in and can plug the pores of the leather causing the bag to dry up, causing cracking and turn the leather to dust. Also is known to attract and hold dust and grime. Also known to rot away some stitching as it’s acidic.

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pullit
I want to find some of the stuff that Clark Griswold used on the bottom of the disk Christmas Vacation.

You'd lean into your rifle and sling yourself right off the front of your bench. Yikes.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 61 invisible), 2,958 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,347
Posts18,468,810
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.