Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I don't recall the homeless problem being "solved" by any amount of $$ thrown at a particular location.

https://texasscorecard.com/austin/a...0-million-more-to-solve-homeless-crisis/

While speaking on a panel at the South by Southwest festival this weekend, Austin Mayor (((Steve Adler))) said the city still needs $100 million before it can begin work on a new homeless housing project to alleviate Austin’s ongoing homelessness crisis.

The new project, often referred to as the Homeless Summit, proposes spending $515 million on 3,000 homeless housing units—a total of $176,00 per person. Under this plan, funding will come from the City of Austin, Travis County, and any business or philanthropy that wishes to donate. So far, $400 million has been raised, with more than half coming from federal COVID-19 relief money.

Although the city already has more than three-quarters of the funds necessary, Adler has so far refused to begin work on the plan until all of the $515 million has been secured.

This new summit project comes on the heels of a multi-year homelessness crisis in the city of Austin. In 2019, the city council voted to defund Austin’s police department by up to $150 million and to repeal a law that prevented the homeless from camping in public spaces.

As a result, the city’s homeless population skyrocketed and massive tent encampments sprung up along streets and neighborhoods throughout Austin. The camps grew so large that Gov. Greg Abbott threatened to involve the federal government if Austin’s city officials did not clean up their streets.

As the homeless population increased, so did the rate of violent crime. Austin homicides increased year over year in 2020 by 64 percent, and other violent crimes rose by the double digits. The combined factors of massive homeless encampments and increasingly dangerous city streets quickly led to public backlash against the policies.

In January 2021, citizen group Save Austin Now submitted a petition to the city with more than 27,000 signatures calling for a public vote on the reinstatement of the camping law. The petition was successful, and in a subsequent May election, more than 58 percent of Austin residents voted to restore the law and prevent the homeless community from camping on city streets.

However, Austin’s citizens are worried that in addition to failing to enforce the camping law, city officials are now spending exorbitant amounts of money on homeless housing projects without making progress on the underlying homelessness crisis.

While on the South by Southwest panel, Adler stated that although he hoped to have the rest of the funding by the end of the year, he was unsure of where the money would come from.

“I would love it just to come from one place, but I don’t think it’s going to happen that way,” said Adler. “I think there will be multiple participants, and we’re talking to many right now. … My hope is that before the year is over, we’re going to have raised the additional money.”

While the city waits for additional funding, Austin’s homelessness crisis continues to grow with no solution in sight.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
SO, refuse to start building with the $$$ in hand

then, as costs rise so much the project becomes unfeasible,

shuttle the money to some other "purpose"???

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
If you build it....they will come.

Won't solve a thing.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yep, building housing for the homeless is like giving jobs to illegal aliens - it just means more will follow

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
3,000 housing units for homeless.

As I said in another thread a few days ago, apologies to Kevin Costner and Field of Dreams, "Build it, and they will come."

These homeless guys all have cell phones. Build 3,000 units, and your homeless bums in Austin will call their buddies across the country, and they will come to Austin.
And in a few years, Austin will need 4,000 more homeless apartments.

IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
515 million dollars to spend on bums. Sounds great!

MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Load them up on a bus and send them to the southern bank of the Rio Grande. That is an Austin problem and if they need $100M then only the residents of Austin should be forced to pony up the cash

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Enabling never works.........

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
They do have cell pphones, Iphones. My girlfriennd and I did the "Ghost Tour" of Asheville, a year ago on a chilly winter night, and we walked 2 miles around Asheville, 9 and 10 o'clock at night.

We saw about a dozen homeless guys holed up for the night, each guy by himself in the dooway of one of the downtown shops or stores. Two or three of the guys were asleep, or passed out, whatever. The other guys, at least 9 of them, were all texting away on their Iphones. EVERY ONE of the guys who were still up was using his cell phone.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Create a problem, then cash in on it. The Democrats have it down to an art.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I'm embarrassed by how stupid our government is and by the people who vote them in...

Every stupid spending bill gets passed in the elections...and yes I vote against them.

That said, Austin is very prosperous and I make a lot more than I would living in the places I really want to live but I'm ready to move on.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
Create a problem, then cash in on it. The Democrats have it down to an art.

Yep

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't recall the case but the Supreme Court recently said that if the cities and municipalities are going to create the scenario where there are homeless, the city or municipality MUST provide safe places for them.

The democrats made the problem and they got a case through the courts that says they must pay for the problem they created. So, their solution is to build home less shelters at the tax payers expense to support and house those who are not paying taxes. America is screwed. Throw in 40 million illegals and look what you have.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Ever notice how Democrats are always saying that if they just had more money they could fix any problem.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buy them a one way bus ticket to Cancun.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Stephen Ira Adler (born March 23, 1956) is an American lawyer and politician who is the 58th and current mayor of Austin, Texas. Adler has been a practicing ...
Political party: Democratic
Education: Princeton University (‎BA‎); ‎University ...‎
Born: Stephen Ira Adler; March 23, 1956[size:17pt][/size][color:#FFFF33][/color]

Figures...

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
These so called homeless plans are nothing more than a money laundering scheme. Public- private partnerships like the Clinton foundation spend 90% of it on salaries and kickbacks. Very little actually makes it to actually help the drug addicts. Ca spends $65k per addict in the state. Drug addicts are big business. Seems they can never account for the money either.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Reintroduction of large predators....to urban environments.
Cougars and bears.

Win win

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
For about a hundredth of that, he could load 'em all in busses and drop 'em off at Pelosi's gated house...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
"with more than half coming from federal COVID-19 relief money." Must be lots of COVID among the homeless!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 54 invisible), 2,993 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,352
Posts18,468,867
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.