Campfire Ranger
M
Just having some fun here, so I fired up the video camera,

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Good morning Shane, Nice springtime Ice Breaker!

Close range and modest power doesn't mean they're toys, a 25 does have some momentum!

We're probably past having temps for ice this year but you've given me the itch to test on a block from the grocery. Ballistic research is always fun!

Thanks for sharing the video!

Geno

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by colodog
Good morning Shane, Nice springtime Ice Breaker!

Close range and modest power doesn't mean they're toys, a 25 does have some momentum!

We're probably past having temps for ice this year but you've given me the itch to test on a block from the grocery. Ballistic research is always fun!

Thanks for sharing the video!

Geno

Glad you enjoyed the vid!

It was up to 50F yesterday, and that ice was a bit rotten. It's frozen water from a dog bowl. I just dumped it out and propped it up.

I've done similar when the temp was below freezing and the ice was plenty hard, but shooting it with the same gun in 22 caliber with 18.3gr JSB at 830 fps. The velocity really helped, along with the harder ice, and the ice broke into chunks on the first hit. Then I had fun breaking down the chunks with subsequent shots.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
That was pretty interesting.
Gives a very relatable example of how effective the powerful break barrels actually are.

Thanks for posting Shane!

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by kragman1
That was pretty interesting.
Gives a very relatable example of how effective the powerful break barrels actually are.

Thanks for posting Shane!

The Hatsan 125 is fairly powerful in the realm of break-barrels. They do trade power for accuracy though, to some degree, as compared to the R9 etc.

I'm not the best shooter of break-barrels either, but here are targets with the above rifle, at different distances (in yards). I'm sure an accomplished airgunner could do much better than myself.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B2

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Is that Sniper model hold sensitive? I've got one of the Hatsan Strikers in 22, and it is by far the most hold sensitive air rifle I've ever shot.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by zcm82
Is that Sniper model hold sensitive? I've got one of the Hatsan Strikers in 22, and it is by far the most hold sensitive air rifle I've ever shot.

Yes it is hold sensitive. This 25 caliber seems to do best with a gentle hold below the balance point.

I have another 125 Sniper in 22 caliber, it prefers a more firm hold up near the crossbolt where the barrel hinges.

They all seem to be different and variables in pellets, and the shooter can make big differences in accuracy results.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Mine does best with RWS Superdomes and my other hand or a rest right in front of the trigger guard... makes it real unwieldy for field use.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I haven't had the determination to try a bunch of pellets. I went with the JSB Exact 25.4gr just because that one seems to get good reviews quite often.

I might do better with a different pellet, but these are accurate enough to take rabbits and similar out to 40 yards or so. So I just called it good enough.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
It is a long and front-heavy gun.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have a Hatsam 135 .30 caliber. I think they bill it as "the world's most powerful break barrel"? Cam't shoot much ice wth it down here in Texas, but it will soot through a piece of 3/4" plywood @ 25 - 35 yards & kick large pieces out of the exit side. I meed to do more "work" on my hold, but accuracy is mot bad, & with 50 gr & up pellets it has great knock-down power!

Mike Holmes

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

Mine is really muzzle heavy, too. Combined with the hold point it likes, it's pretty hard to shoot well offhand.

I just picked up a Crosman 362, and if I can get it to shoot as well as I want I'll probably be selling off the Striker.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Mikewriter
I have a Hatsam 135 .30 caliber. I think they bill it as "the world's most powerful break barrel"? Cam't shoot much ice wth it down here in Texas, but it will soot through a piece of 3/4" plywood @ 25 - 35 yards & kick large pieces out of the exit side. I meed to do more "work" on my hold, but accuracy is mot bad, & with 50 gr & up pellets it has great knock-down power!

Mike Holmes

I saw a YT vid where a guy and his daughter were shooting clay birds at 100 yards with that rifle. Looks like a fun and powerful airgun.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

Mine is really muzzle heavy, too. Combined with the hold point it likes, it's pretty hard to shoot well offhand.

I just picked up a Crosman 362, and if I can get it to shoot as well as I want I'll probably be selling off the Striker.

The 362 looks like a nice pumper.

I had a Sheridan 20-cal pumper years ago. It was nice to have the ability to control the power, and it was accurate, lightweight, and not hold sensitive. They are also easy on scopes, but I think a scope might interfere with the pumping somewhat as it goes right where you would grip the rifle while pumping it.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I have/had an old Sheridan 20/5mm I got when I was like 10-ish, but the seals went bad in it years ago. Gave it to my old man to tear down and put seals in, and haven't seen it since. He has moved since then, so who knows where it is now?

I don't really like scopes much anymore, that's partly why I decided to try the 362... has a peep on it from the factory. I plan on posting a little review with some pictures once I've shot it for some groups and ran some pellets over the chronograph.

My first impressions on it are a mixed bag, though. It handles nice and shoulders very well, but it has a few glaring issues out of the box. It's also an ugly, ugly rifle in person, frankly.

*also, sorry for sorta derailing the thread*

Last edited by zcm82; 03/18/22.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have both the 22 and 25 and with scopes on them. The 22 is exceptionally accurate as I take head shots at ground squirrels under my garden shed at 30 yards. I have not dialed in the 25 yet as a bad shoulder is holding that up as cocking it is a little rough on it. Hoy to get it done pretty soon as my Granddaughters want me to send it down to them for Turkey season. Pellet guns are legal in CA. for Turkeys

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I had my Walther Parrus .177 out bench shooting it this morning. I can't believe the accuracy I'm getting. Shooting the 10.65 grain H&N Barracuda pellets at almost 1000 fps and punching out dime sized groups at 35 yards repeatedly.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I have/had an old Sheridan 20/5mm I got when I was like 10-ish, but the seals went bad in it years ago. Gave it to my old man to tear down and put seals in, and haven't seen it since. He has moved since then, so who knows where it is now?

I don't really like scopes much anymore, that's partly why I decided to try the 362... has a peep on it from the factory. I plan on posting a little review with some pictures once I've shot it for some groups and ran some pellets over the chronograph.

My first impressions on it are a mixed bag, though. It handles nice and shoulders very well, but it has a few glaring issues out of the box. It's also an ugly, ugly rifle in person, frankly.

*also, sorry for sorta derailing the thread*

No problem, airgun talk is all good,

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by coyote268
I have both the 22 and 25 and with scopes on them. The 22 is exceptionally accurate as I take head shots at ground squirrels under my garden shed at 30 yards. I have not dialed in the 25 yet as a bad shoulder is holding that up as cocking it is a little rough on it. Hoy to get it done pretty soon as my Granddaughters want me to send it down to them for Turkey season. Pellet guns are legal in CA. for Turkeys

I have both also, and my 22 cal is also much more accurate.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I had my Walther Parrus .177 out bench shooting it this morning. I can't believe the accuracy I'm getting. Shooting the 10.65 grain H&N Barracuda pellets at almost 1000 fps and punching out dime sized groups at 35 yards repeatedly.

Nice, can't argue with that.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 01Foreman400, 12 invisible), 1,349 guests, and 814 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,059
Posts18,463,249
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.