Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
158XTP Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I dont use shotguns much, dont actually own a 12ga currently. Have a chance to pick up a neat little 410 double with a bunch of shells( 11/16oz in birdshot sizes which must be a heavy load for 410 and some 5x 000 buck as well). Trying to think just what I need one for is all smile
Feel free to list any game these are good for. I'm not intending to shoot large gamebirds etc. I figured at least not a bad gun for a lady to have around for various pests.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Squirrels.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rabbits!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Woodpecker who decided to excavate on the soffit of the cabin.

Works ok on snakes too.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I hunt doves with a 410, a lot.

NRA Patron
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
they are neat little shotguns but the ammo is outrageous, even before all ammo was outrageous. nice to take for a walk for squirrel or bunnies. good to get a kid to shoot for his first shotgun but that can also be frustrating because you have to aim them pretty good and watch the range. with the right load/choke they can be turkey guns too but i've never done that. my single shot sits in the safe. i always had a hankering for a win 42 but never enough to spend the money.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
that fool that's trying to sneak in and rob ,rape and pillage

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
snakes

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
As mentioned above, squirrels and rabbits. You also be surprised if you patterned that 000. Dad has one that will put all 5 pellets into 4-5" @ 40. They aren't slow either. I've seen 12 gauges that wouldn't do that.

It might be lonely at the top, but it's a bitch at the bottom.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by dale06
I hunt doves with a 410, a lot.

Yep. I’ve killed several limits with a Winester Model 42 Pump in .410

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
Shoot TSS out of it and it becomes a 30-40 yard turkey gun. Easy to carry. No recoil to speak of. Great youth turkey gun.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
snakes worst nightmare, bought a Rossi tuffy just for that use, can kill a snake 20 yards away, i used a 410 for everything up to deer

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
If you have a good pointing dog, and birds that hold tight (don't run) you can drop just about any upland bird out to 30yds that you can hunt in the U.S with a .410.

Quail (bobs, mearns, scaled, California, mountain)
Huns
Chukar
Grouse (sharps, ruff, blues, sage)
Pheasant

Etc..

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 03/21/22.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by 158XTP
I dont use shotguns much, dont actually own a 12ga currently. Have a chance to pick up a neat little 410 double with a bunch of shells( 11/16oz in birdshot sizes which must be a heavy load for 410 and some 5x 000 buck as well). Trying to think just what I need one for is all smile
Feel free to list any game these are good for. I'm not intending to shoot large gamebirds etc. I figured at least not a bad gun for a lady to have around for various pests.

They are just fun.

A friend occasional shoot skeet with his... and it is a real hoot to watch. He reloads .410 so there is that.

Personally, I use 3" 12 gauge for anything and everything. 2 3/4" for most things under 5 pounds.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have a Savage four-tenner that I put in one barrel of a double when squirrel hunting. Gives me close and far in the same gun.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My grandson shot his first three wild turkey with the family .410. Shoot them in the head and they are dead.
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
In spite of the 410 being handed to generations of kids as a starter gun, it is actually a poor choice. The 410 is nicknamed "idiot stick" as only an idiot would handicap themselves so much. It is a very fun gun to shoot but it is geared more to someone who knows its limitations well and can work inside them. It is my favorite bore to use but also frustrating.

My 410s are mainly used on clay pigeons these days. It is lacking in pellet density for most hunting making it a special purpose/situation tool. The single shot does get a fair bit of use for pest control around the house, I shot a red squirrel out of the yard yesterday. My wife will occassionally use it to rid her gardens of a rabbit but she generally orders me to do so.

Back when the woodcock season opened on Sept 1 the 410 was my main gun due to the short range and small bird size the small shot charge did not tear birds up much. When grouse opened up a couple weeks later I would switch to a larger gun.

I also used the 410 for dog training as I didn't want too messed up bird for the dog to retrieve. The occasional cripple, especially when using pigeons, was also a great training opportunity for a young dog.

A 410 would be a fine squirrel or rabbit gun though I would prefer a 22 LR or even air gun over a shotgun. With an effective range of about 25 yards, the 410 doesn't give one much advantage over a rifle. A 410 makes a good close range dove gun if one has the opportunity. I've used mine over watering holes a few times and that can be a great time.

What I have learned is #7.5 shot is the most useful in the field. #8 shot is nice but it is difficult to find. #8.5 is my favorite target size as well as for training birds. I reload most of my own shells with the last two sizes. #9 is a bit small for most use though it is excellent when jump shooting English sparrows from nesting boxes. #6 is the largest size I would use as patterns are pretty patchy with it. I have a box of #5 shot I am using up on red squirrels, I've had to use more than one shell to bag one of the buggers as at even 20 yards there are gaps large enough to miss the squirrel. Or, put a pellet someplace non-vital.

I prefer 3" shells for field work as more pellets is more pellets. The pattern percentage may be lower with the heavier shot charge but there tends to be more pellets in the usable pattern. 2.5" shells are mostly target and dog training with some use for pests.

The 410 is a fun shell to use but it can be frustrating. If one shoots it much, reloading is the best course to take as you will recoup your investment money quickly. Keep your empties as they tend to be I demand. Even if you don't reload, you may be able to trade/sell them to someone who does.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
410 double, IMO, would be a great sxs to have simply to pass along as I don’t see many that are in good shape or available. Some shotguns you just want.

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Light, handy and almost no recoil. 410's are fun. Plus not loud so un an urban setting - no one complains.

Not a 410 here but it is excellent at this kind of work.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Me

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
There was a guy in a trap league we competed against. Hell of a shot. He tried a 410 one week just because he could. Did very well at the 16 yard line. When he moved back, he came back to the land of the mortals like the rest of us.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
307 members (257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 30 invisible), 1,996 guests, and 917 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,953
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.