Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Friends,

What's the general consensus on how to coat our rifle's metal to prevent rusting?
Now that I've decided to seek out a Remington 7600, I want to have the best anti-
rust treatment applied to it once I have it. Thanks as always!

Jack
BP-B6

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Cerakote is supposed to be tops. It is working well for me.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Best would be a good hard chrome or nickel plating. Might look weird on a 7600…

Good would be parkerized or something like Birdsong Black-T.

Have not had the best longevity with Cerakote or similar.

Semper Fi

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ve had a couple cerakoted.

I’d try Nitride before I ever cerakote another.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Remington 700 xcr2 has a nitride coating. I guess its about 10-12 years old gets carried around on an atv and banging around in a stand. I hunt in a muddy wet climate about four months a year. It has held up well and looks pretty much like new. Mine came from the manufacture with the nitride. I read it is more of a process that just a coating.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
My Remington 700 xcr2 has a nitride coating. I guess its about 10-12 years old gets carried around on an atv and banging around in a stand. I hunt in a muddy wet climate about four months a year. It has held up well and looks pretty much like new. Mine came from the manufacture with the nitride. I read it is more of a process that just a coating.

Yes, it is a process of diffusing nitrogen into the steel, not a coating. It would be my choice for rust resistance, as well as wear resistance. Performance in those respects far superior to Cerakote or other coatings, or any of the grades of stainless used in rifles for that matter.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Nitride as long as it's the real process not just a halfassed coating. H&M metal processing was great to work with... just note that it hardens the existing surface, it doesn't involve smoothing and buffing like a re-blue.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ask my little buddy BigStick. He appears to regularly lay his rifles in the river while he fishes. Different strokes for different folks I guess. On another note, I've purchased rifles with both Nitride and Cerakote and never had a problem. Truth be told, I treat them the same as my non-protective coated rifles preventatively; so, I can't really tell if they work better or not for rust prevention.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I like old school parkerizing.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Powdercoating is tougher than hell. A side benefit to it is it's warmer to carry in cold weather.

LOL
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
How about wiping it down with oil after use

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Im appreciative of everybody's answers and the sharing of experiences.
As to the quote below:
Originally Posted by blairvt

I asked the question because I've read of guys returned from their day out hunting, and seeing that rusting had started already!
It's better to prevent a problem than to successfully correct one, especially if it could have been avoided in the first place.

Last edited by BigFiveJack; 03/21/22.

Jack
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On my blued steel rifles and shotguns I use Rig. Absolutely no smell and never a spec of rust. My serious deer and elk hunting rifles are always camo painted over stainless steel or hard chrome plated. Easy touch up and no smell or shine.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by BigFiveJack
Im appreciative of everybody's answers and the sharing of experiences.
As to the quote below:
Originally Posted by blairvt

I asked the question because I've read of guys returned from their day out hunting, and seeing that rusting had started already!
It's better to prevent a problem than to successfully correct one, especially if it could have been avoided in the first place.

My Dad hunted with a pre-64 Featherweight for 30 years. Rain or snow. Always wiped it down at the end of the day. I've been using that same gun now for 10 years. Clean it the same way. Has bluing wear from use, but never any rust.

Last edited by blairvt; 03/22/22.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My brother had his 760 Nitrided. That's what I'd do. It was around $100 and after 7 or 8 years, still look great.

Even though it's a pump, it can and will jam if the chamber isn't kept clean. He had his chamber polished before he sent it off to be done and it hasn't jammed since.

It might be lonely at the top, but it's a bitch at the bottom.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Nothing wrong with Cerakote on externals. Don’t want it on any internals. Nitride is very durable, (mostly as durable as your metal),but mainly only in black….and will show wear over time. Cerakote can be touched up. Birdsong is extremely slick and practically rust proof….but it will wear faster than nitride. Either would still last an average Hunter a lifetime, I’d imagine.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
This may be contrary... But since long term is ambiguous... I'd say blue is the only thing we can prove works long term.
Properly cared for blue rifles from the 1800s still exist and function perfectly.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
These answers are all beneficial to me. I read them all at least twice just to make sure that I missed nothing!

Jack
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ringworm
This may be contrary... But since long term is ambiguous... I'd say blue is the only thing we can prove works long term.
Properly cared for blue rifles from the 1800s still exist and function perfectly.

I had reserved comment until now.

You are correct, a slow-rust blue.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
Nothing wrong with Cerakote on externals. Don’t want it on any internals. Nitride is very durable, (mostly as durable as your metal),but mainly only in black….and will show wear over time. Cerakote can be touched up. Birdsong is extremely slick and practically rust proof….but it will wear faster than nitride. Either would still last an average Hunter a lifetime, I’d imagine.

Is Birdsong still is business? I emailed them quite some time ago and didn't receive a response.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
347 members (280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 43 invisible), 2,238 guests, and 1,079 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,724
Posts18,400,599
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.