Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jwp475

I would also wager that Nonte was a spook (CIA)

I agree. Too many things point to various Jack Ruby gun running events with the Cuban exiles. I want to know how Nonte got the medium tank off Fort Hood. That was a hat trick.

Guns & Ammo ran several articles in the 1950's on gun running to Cuba.

Slim
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Westman

I would also wager that Nonte was a spook (CIA)

Thats interesting.
I know nothing other than reading some of his articles, why do you say this?
Curious...

Many books on the JFK assasination have details on Nonte. The book Oswald talks has a good preview section on google books and cimes to the conclusion we will never know the full story on Ruby or Nonte.

Slim
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
only article I really remember of his was on the 264 WIn. and he was shooting hawks with it..i liked him from that moment on

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I remember an article wherein the author went out of his way to point out that he was hunting (I think in Old Mexico) on the day that Kennedy was shot.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
When I was shooting in the matches at Camp Perry every year, Nonte was the only prominent gun writer who showed up and competed there. I thought he was the real deal. He died too young.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I remember an article wherein the author went out of his way to point out that he was hunting (I think in Old Mexico) on the day that Kennedy was shot.

FBI Informants spoke of Nonte having a large gun cache in Mexico....

Slim
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Knew him in the late sixties. He gave me pointers on writing and photography. He could do wonders with the light on his desk and a 35mm camera.
I bought a muzzle loader once from a local dealer. He called me later to see if I still had it. Evidently George had sold it to him and Navy Arms wanted their "test" gun back.
Little brother and I were in a shop on day and George came in waving a Smith model 60 around wanting to know if anyone wanted to buy it. I told little brother who he was. He said, "Who the hell is George Nonte?"
He would spend an inordinate amount of time and money doing some weird conversions such as a Model 39 from 9mm to 38 super and still have to machine brass.
He was honest. I remember one article where he was hunting pigs with a Dragoon of some sort and had to shoot it empty, reload and shoot some more. Some writers would have written a "one shot" kill. Not George. I think, like Elmer, he was pretty dang honest.
Interesting guy. Had a thing for Chevy Corvairs.
Was a wizard at coming up with ways to make cartridges for strange guns. Book on cartridge conversions.
He had a bunch of nom de plumes, including C George Charles and others.

Last edited by Papag; 03/22/22. Reason: more info
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

United States.[1] He was the son of George C. Nonte Sr. (b. Dec. 17, 1898 d. Oct. 6, 1959). George Jr. entered the U.S. Army late in World War II and retired 20 years later, in 1964, as an Ordnance Corps Major. He was stationed in Europe, t⁰)he Middle East, and in the United States. Following his retirement from the Army, he sporadically did private contract consulting work for a US Government agency, throughout the 1960s and 1970s, much of it overseas. Nonte authored more than a thousand magazine articles that were published in more than a dozen outdoor and gun magazines, including The American Rifleman, Guns & Ammo, The Handloader, American Handgunner, The Rifle, Guns, and Shooting Times.[2][3][4][5]

He was a recognized expert in the firearms field. In the 1950s he began a long career as a writer on handloading and guns, and was listed in the mastheads of more than ten firearms publications.

Nonte frequently gave court testimony as an expert witness on firearms.

Nonte was peripherally involved in the investigation of the assassination of John F. Kennedy. At the time or Kennedy's death, Nonte was an Ordnance Corps Captain, stationed at Fort Sill, Oklahoma. An investigative report by Ray and Mary La Fontaine, published by the Washington Post in August, 1994 mentioned Nonte, and alluded to him running guns with Jack Ruby, but provided no conclusive evidence. Reports identified Nonte as "cooperative" with the FBI in the Kennedy assassination investigation, and that he assisted the FBI with information about a renegade operation by Cuban exiles that planned to again invade Cuba, following the failed Bay of Pigs invasion. The same information was repeated in Ray and Mary La Fontaine's book Oswald Talked, published in 1996.

Nonte was a flamboyant character who in later life wore a handlebar mustache.[6] One of his cars was a Chevrolet Corvair that was retrofitted with a powerful engine taken from a Chevrolet Corvette.

Nonte died in his office at work on June 30, 1978.

The Major George C. Nonte Award for Excellence in Firearms Journalism is awarded annually, in Nonte's memory, by American Handgunner magazine. The first recipient of the award was Massad Ayoob.[7]

His wife was Theresa England Nonte.[8]

One of his twin daughters, Yvette, became a US Army Intelligence officer, and retired as a full colonel.[8][dead link]

His eldest son, David Nonte, with the assistance of Edward C. Ezell and Lee Jurras completed the draft manuscript for his final book, Combat Handguns, which was published posthumously

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Nonte

Thanks JWP, very much.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

200 members (257robertsimp, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 280shooter, 204guy, 30 invisible), 1,913 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,162
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.