Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
GSPfan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Do you prefer the semi auto or a revolver in a 22 handgun? I have both the semi's are S&W M41, Ruger MKI bull barrel, Colt Match Target and High Std HD-Military. Revolvers are all S&W K22, M18, and 617. At the end of the day I find myself shooting the revolvers more.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Since much of my 22 shooting these days is with grandkids the tiny revolvers get the nod. Autoloaders leave the gun in an unsafe mode in a possibly excited kid's hand.

But I have been finding decent deals on semi-autos of late..

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by GSPfan
Do you prefer the semi auto or a revolver in a 22 handgun? I have both the semi's are S&W M41, Ruger MKI bull barrel, Colt Match Target and High Std HD-Military. Revolvers are all S&W K22, M18, and 617. At the end of the day I find myself shooting the revolvers more.

Yeah, I prefer revolvers. I think that, dollar for dollar, the semi-autos are more accurate, I just prefer revolvers.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm a Colt Woodsman guy when it comes to semi's, but I reach for the K-22 more often than not.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
GSPfan: I like'em both!
And like them each to an equal extent.
I own and enjoy shooting semi-auto rimfires made by Browning, Ruger, Smith & Wesson, Colt, Glock, High Standard and Mitchell.
I also own and enjoy shooting revolver rimfires made by High Standard, Smith & Wesson, Colt and Ruger.
I took out my scoped Smith & Wesson Model 647 revolver in caliber 17 HMR this morning and shot some "Snowphers" with it.
Great fun that whacking the Ground Squirrels on top of the snow with a 17 HMR pistol!
I think it is the "bullet" going downrange to my intended target (aimpoint) that I enjoy so much - not the action or type of firearm I am using at the time.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like and own both types, semi auto and revolvers in double action and single action. If pressed, the semi auto would be my favorite.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I currently have 18 .22 LR handguns, 14 semi-auto and 4 revolvers.

If I'm going to carry a .22 handgun afield, I prefer to carry a S&W 2206 in a shoulder rig because it is flatter, less bulky, and the magazine holds more ammo, plus it is easier to insert a spare loaded magazine than to reload a revolver, even if you carry speed loaders.

OTOH, I carry a .22 Magnim revolver much more often when I go afield, 'cause I kill every poisonous snake that I come across and have found that the .22 Magnum CCI snake shot cartridges are more effective than their .22 LR snake shot cartridges.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I carry a Browning Buckmark often, especially running a trap line. But I must say I do love my K-22 when I'm just out plinking.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I hit better with the Smith 41 and Ruger Mk2 bull. But like the 63 and 617 better.

G
GSPfan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I went to the range Sunday as it was the first nice day we've had in a long time. I took the M41, Ruger MKI and the High Std along with a 6 inch M617. The High Std experienced multiple failure to fire episodes but hopefully a new main spring is the cure but it's to cold and windy to shoot today. The big surprise accuracy wise was the M617. It held it's own with the M41 and the Ruger. When I go to the woods for just a walk or while bird hunting a S&W 22/32 kit gun usually goes along.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Revolvers are cool Alan. I remember when I was a kid, I grew up with a Smith 29-2. I saved up my birthday money and such to have my mom buy it from a cop friend. He also hand loaded ammo for me as well. Basically learned to shoot pistols with that thing. My dad had a Buckmark that I could have used, but back then I had my own pistol. Never really did like the Browning, as it was always jamming and schidt because my dad did not take care of it and clean it like he should have. From about 13 until I turned 18 I worked on wearing that 29 out and did a good job of it, as when I traded it off, the cylinder did not turn like it was supposed to. After that I got into the Ruger semi autos and never looked back, having my fill of revolvers. So, my pick is the Ruger MKII with the 5" bull barrel. I also have the competition model, but the shorter barrel shoots just as well and is more nimble feeling.. Never a hiccup with these extremely reliable pistols either.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
In my small sampling of .22 pistols that I've owned the autoloaders have been more accurate and that remains the case in my safe today.
The revolvers come out for general carry around the farm and plinking or if I have company - nephews etc.
For hunting and more "serious" farm duty the Buckmark gets the call due to it's superior accuracy and quick follow-up shots.
In the end I guess I prefer the semi-auto.

Save our kids - shoot your local drug dealer.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Shot Ruger SA, Smith and Colt DA revolvers.
Also Colt, Ruger, Smith and High Standard autos.
Like High Standards the best buy they aint perfect.
With aging eyes, optics are needed
My Buckmark 5.5 w reflex is pretty darn decent.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
No preference here, I enjoy both.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I prefer revolvers.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Revolvers here

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I love both but I shoot a semiauto more because Its easier to clean than a revolver, as far as accuracy goes My 617 6" is the most accurate .22lr handgun I own, it is more accurate than my Model 41 or Browning Buck mark II.....My Ruger Single Six 6" comes in last in the accuracy dept.......Hb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

From CB Caps to CCI Shotshells to High Speed HPs, a .22LR revolver will function properly with all of them. And, a quality revolver will have all the accuracy necessary for out in the yard:
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Revolvers just take a lot more practice, as they tend not to be as easy to shoot well as semi-autos:

But, a .22LR revolver can be made to shoot very well indeed:

Every day’s an adventure.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like 'em BOTH!

Presently own a Ruger Birdshead Wrangler revolver.

Have a Glock 44 and Ruger MK 4 lite autos.

Have bought, traded and sold many revolvers and autos over the years.

Two of my biggest regrets, is selling a Colt Match Target Woodsman, and a Colt Diamondback 22LR.

Virgil B.

Last edited by vbshootinrange; 03/23/22.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Kinda like asking which kid would you sell.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I mainly shot auto’s. I have a 41 with 3 different barrels. Biggest decision is which barrel to install. I also enjoy my mark 2’s. I usually carry one of these when my wife is shooting. I have 10 magazines and a speed loader. I’m the speed loader operator. Hard to keep up when she’s shooting.
But when hunting I carry my K22 model 48. For those that say there is not much difference between a LR and magnum version need to shoot the 83/8 magnum version. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I enjoy them all. Rimfire is a sickness. For in the field for small game I usually carry my MK3 22/45 lite as it is slim and light. With the red dot, it is deadly. I also love my revolvers. Especially my NAA. There is something so satisfying about the tiny pocket revolvers.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Jerny: You said it VERY well indeed!
"Rimfire, is a sickness"!
The simple truth.
And welcome to the CampFire by the way - bring your sicknesses with you - there will be others here with the same ailment - including me.
Our poor family got their first 22 rimfire Rifle when I was 7 years old and my two brothers (one older and one younger) and I shared it.
It has been 68 years since then and I have been an enthusiastic rimfire "sicko" ever since.
Long live the 22 rimfire (revolvers, semi-auto pistols and all manner of Rifles).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

G
GSPfan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Sickness indeed and it's not curable at least I don't want to be cured. I just bought 800 rounds of CCI 22 mag ammo to feed the new CZ and a Smith M48. For some reason I'm thinking about a Browning Medalist.........why????? To top off the rimfire madness I just got a Cooper Western Classic and boy it's a shooter smile

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
For strictly target shooting a semi-auto. Real world my S&W m34-1 for a plinking and a hiking partner. What tips the scale toward a revolver is their ability to shoot everything from CB caps to Mini-Mags. Growing up we shotgunned a lot of barn pigeons with a m1100 and improved cylinder barrel. Lots of pigeons needed a finisher and while a long rifle cartridge was effective, it was way more than what was needed and a short or CB cap was all that was needed and safer and quieter around a barn yard. I started with a 6” barrel K22, but that morphed into that 4” barrel m34-1 because a .22 and J frame just seemed like a better match.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I was always a revolver guy. I carried for years, and still have, my old Ruger Single Six. It has accounted for piles of rabbit and grouse and dispatched a few truckloads of trapped coyotes. But then I got a Glock 44. Seems I grab it more than anything when I go afield with a 22 handgun. At just one pound fully loaded, it doesn’t feel like much on the hip. I even used it last year to dispatch my spine shot caribou. I won’t be parting with my Single Six. Too many fond memories but the Glock gets the nod more often than not nowadays.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I seem to shoot my SS Single Six better than my 4" 617 Smith, and I shoot it better than my varous .22 pistols, too. Overall, it's probably my favorite. I suspect the sight radius of the Single Six (6.5" barrel) makes the difference. My .22 pistols are a 4.5" SR-22 and a Smith M&P Compact, neither of which could be considered target pistols. Too light and too short. I've had various Ruger Mks and they all shot very well, but they were heavier and easier to hold steady.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Horses for courses. In the field I prefer a revolver. At the range it’s a semi-auto.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I love them both, and currently have a couple of each, but one thing I rarely see/hear mentioned is, that at least in my experience with every revolver I've ever owned, you have to brush out the cylinder chambers every couple boxes or so to be able to chamber a round because the ammo is so dirty. For whatever reason, not so with a semi auto.

G
GSPfan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I have not experienced that issue with any of my revolvers from 22 to 44

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bhemry
I love them both, and currently have a couple of each, but one thing I rarely see/hear mentioned is, that at least in my experience with every revolver I've ever owned, you have to brush out the cylinder chambers every couple boxes or so to be able to chamber a round because the ammo is so dirty. For whatever reason, not so with a semi auto.

What if a round could be thrust into a revolver chamber with the same speed and force as with a semi auto?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
What if a round could be thrust into a revolver chamber with the same speed and force as with a semi auto?

Maybe. But by about 100-150 rounds or so, I'm starting to have to mash pretty hard to get them fully seated. That was with my Rossi 511, S&W 63, and two S&W 617's. I'm thinking it has more to do with most of the powder residue getting blown out the back of the chamber with the empty case on the semi-autos.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have a couple revolvers and a semi-auto. The revolvers get shot a lot more since I quite indoor target shooting. Actually I probably have not shot that semi-auto in the last 20 years,

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My M17 has tight chambers. Depending upon the cleanliness of the ammo extraction becomes difficult after 100-150 rounds. My M63 is considerably more tolerant but will also get sticky at the end of a shooting session. The Single Six doesn't have those issues. The Single Six is also the least accurate of the three revolvers.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In the 22 rimfire pistol area Ive got.
Colt Woodsman
Colt Huntsman
Ruger Mark 1 bull barrel
Ruger Mark 2 standard tapered barrel (never been fired)
Ruger 22/45 (hate the grip)
Ruger Single Six old model
Ruger Bearcat old model.

I enjoy shooting them all so really cant choose. But my favorites are the Colt autos and the Ruger Single six.
So I'm no help at all.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
A Buckmark target with a Fastfire sight is my go to 22. Even with my cataracts I can hold a spotlight and shoot yard varmints at the same time.

Life is good live it while you can.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I am a semi auto fan. Both the buckmark and the ruger.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Now that you asked, I shoot revolvers more. That is until you get to .22s, then I shoot autos more. Buckmark, Victory & High Standard being the ones that make it to the range the most.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Single action revolver, Colt or Ruger

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have owned oodles of .22 handguns over the past 30 years. Had some really great ones. This is what I have settled on, and I don't see me adding to this group.

When my kids move out, the daughter gets the little Llama, and my son gets the S&W. At that point I may pick up a Beretta M70...or not.

FOR ME, pretty much all of my .22 handgunning is done with my Colt Officers Model Target these days.

[Linked Image]

J
jgt Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I have a model 18 with the sights set for shooting rattlers close by. I have a model 17 6"for skunks, fox, and such. I also have a Browning Challenger 4" I've had forever that has taken everything from rabbits to javelina. All of them are way more accurate than I am today with my tired ole eyes.

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Revolvers all the way!

“Alive in JESUS!”
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I'm setting up to punch holes and burn some rimfire ammo it's the Buckmark for the job. But it's the LCR in a pocket holster or fobus paddle rig that gets carried around the place looking for adventure.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Convenient, lightweight .22s for carrying out in the yard:

Ruger’s Elsie Pitu:

Smith & Wesson’s 43C:

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Smith 617, 4”, 10 shot. That’s my favorite.

NRA Patron
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I like revolvers but I tend to grab my Buckmark/TacSol or my MKIV Lite mainly because I can screw my Sparrow on and blast away without worrying the neighborhood. I have a 6.5" Single Six but I'd like to find a smallish revolver, i.e. a S&W 63 or Ruger Bearcat for easier carrying. Like everything else I want though, prices went crazy on those two.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like them both. Still wish I had the Dan Wesson I let go years ago. I love anything rimfire to be honest

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Revolvers for me.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
I think I have equal numbers of each. I tend to prefer revolvers for field guns and autos for range toys.

Mathew 22: 37-39

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The model 41 is a class all its own

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've multiple 41's and multiple extra barrels for same,none of which begin to set the bar for rugged reliability. 41 ergo's suit me well and the triggers don't suck,but my Marvel Unit Ones are more accurate/precise,but again no bar for rugged reliability. Hint.

Tough to beat Ruger MK II there and I of course suffer Buckmarks too. Hint.

No Revolvers can begin to hang. Hint..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
G
GSPfan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Yesterday I took the M41, Colt Match Target and a High STD HD to the range. All were fun to shoot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
About the only use I have for a .22 pistol is trapping and carrying on horseback trips, in case I have to put an animal down. The former can get stupid cold, the latter can be cold as well but also stupid dusty.

At -40F and to a lesser extent in that summer dust, several autos including Rugers and Brownings haven't functioned at all for me, despite being degreased and dry graphite lubed. Casings stuck in chambers were fairly common, if the gun fired at all. Sometimes the extractor just wouldn't grab the rim and eject the casing, other times the action simply failed to work. I went to a Ruger Single Six and haven't looked back. Mind you, the only thing I realistically need it for are shots of 10 feet or less, so reliability 100% trumps accuracy for my needs in this case. Fewer moving parts is almost always better, assuming equal quality of said parts. Some people have issues with dirt, ice and grime getting onto the pawl or whatever, causing problems with cylinder rotation, but I have not had that issue.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RickcNY
The model 41 is a class all its own

Amen Brother.

We deal in lead, friend.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't shoot 22's much, but have a few pistols that I really like. The Ruger Bearcat was my first real gun and I remember how much it reminded me of a Colt SAA, although it wasn't. I also have a Beretta 102, which few people realize even exists and will rival any target 22 including the S&W 41. The favorite and probably last to go is the Colt peacemaker 22/22WMR. Finding one that shoots well did take some time and this one is good enough to shoot gophers at any realistic distance. That is all the accuracy I need from a pistol...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My BIL has that Beretta and it just sits in his closet. I have tried to buy it but to no avail so far.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (11point, 2500HD, 257 roberts, 160user, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 69 invisible), 2,970 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,335
Posts18,468,659
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.