Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
GSPfan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Do you prefer the semi auto or a revolver in a 22 handgun? I have both the semi's are S&W M41, Ruger MKI bull barrel, Colt Match Target and High Std HD-Military. Revolvers are all S&W K22, M18, and 617. At the end of the day I find myself shooting the revolvers more.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Since much of my 22 shooting these days is with grandkids the tiny revolvers get the nod. Autoloaders leave the gun in an unsafe mode in a possibly excited kid's hand.

But I have been finding decent deals on semi-autos of late..

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by GSPfan
Do you prefer the semi auto or a revolver in a 22 handgun? I have both the semi's are S&W M41, Ruger MKI bull barrel, Colt Match Target and High Std HD-Military. Revolvers are all S&W K22, M18, and 617. At the end of the day I find myself shooting the revolvers more.

Yeah, I prefer revolvers. I think that, dollar for dollar, the semi-autos are more accurate, I just prefer revolvers.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm a Colt Woodsman guy when it comes to semi's, but I reach for the K-22 more often than not.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
GSPfan: I like'em both!
And like them each to an equal extent.
I own and enjoy shooting semi-auto rimfires made by Browning, Ruger, Smith & Wesson, Colt, Glock, High Standard and Mitchell.
I also own and enjoy shooting revolver rimfires made by High Standard, Smith & Wesson, Colt and Ruger.
I took out my scoped Smith & Wesson Model 647 revolver in caliber 17 HMR this morning and shot some "Snowphers" with it.
Great fun that whacking the Ground Squirrels on top of the snow with a 17 HMR pistol!
I think it is the "bullet" going downrange to my intended target (aimpoint) that I enjoy so much - not the action or type of firearm I am using at the time.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like and own both types, semi auto and revolvers in double action and single action. If pressed, the semi auto would be my favorite.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I currently have 18 .22 LR handguns, 14 semi-auto and 4 revolvers.

If I'm going to carry a .22 handgun afield, I prefer to carry a S&W 2206 in a shoulder rig because it is flatter, less bulky, and the magazine holds more ammo, plus it is easier to insert a spare loaded magazine than to reload a revolver, even if you carry speed loaders.

OTOH, I carry a .22 Magnim revolver much more often when I go afield, 'cause I kill every poisonous snake that I come across and have found that the .22 Magnum CCI snake shot cartridges are more effective than their .22 LR snake shot cartridges.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I carry a Browning Buckmark often, especially running a trap line. But I must say I do love my K-22 when I'm just out plinking.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I hit better with the Smith 41 and Ruger Mk2 bull. But like the 63 and 617 better.

G
GSPfan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I went to the range Sunday as it was the first nice day we've had in a long time. I took the M41, Ruger MKI and the High Std along with a 6 inch M617. The High Std experienced multiple failure to fire episodes but hopefully a new main spring is the cure but it's to cold and windy to shoot today. The big surprise accuracy wise was the M617. It held it's own with the M41 and the Ruger. When I go to the woods for just a walk or while bird hunting a S&W 22/32 kit gun usually goes along.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Revolvers are cool Alan. I remember when I was a kid, I grew up with a Smith 29-2. I saved up my birthday money and such to have my mom buy it from a cop friend. He also hand loaded ammo for me as well. Basically learned to shoot pistols with that thing. My dad had a Buckmark that I could have used, but back then I had my own pistol. Never really did like the Browning, as it was always jamming and schidt because my dad did not take care of it and clean it like he should have. From about 13 until I turned 18 I worked on wearing that 29 out and did a good job of it, as when I traded it off, the cylinder did not turn like it was supposed to. After that I got into the Ruger semi autos and never looked back, having my fill of revolvers. So, my pick is the Ruger MKII with the 5" bull barrel. I also have the competition model, but the shorter barrel shoots just as well and is more nimble feeling.. Never a hiccup with these extremely reliable pistols either.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
In my small sampling of .22 pistols that I've owned the autoloaders have been more accurate and that remains the case in my safe today.
The revolvers come out for general carry around the farm and plinking or if I have company - nephews etc.
For hunting and more "serious" farm duty the Buckmark gets the call due to it's superior accuracy and quick follow-up shots.
In the end I guess I prefer the semi-auto.

Save our kids - shoot your local drug dealer.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Shot Ruger SA, Smith and Colt DA revolvers.
Also Colt, Ruger, Smith and High Standard autos.
Like High Standards the best buy they aint perfect.
With aging eyes, optics are needed
My Buckmark 5.5 w reflex is pretty darn decent.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
No preference here, I enjoy both.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I prefer revolvers.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Revolvers here

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I love both but I shoot a semiauto more because Its easier to clean than a revolver, as far as accuracy goes My 617 6" is the most accurate .22lr handgun I own, it is more accurate than my Model 41 or Browning Buck mark II.....My Ruger Single Six 6" comes in last in the accuracy dept.......Hb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

From CB Caps to CCI Shotshells to High Speed HPs, a .22LR revolver will function properly with all of them. And, a quality revolver will have all the accuracy necessary for out in the yard:
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Revolvers just take a lot more practice, as they tend not to be as easy to shoot well as semi-autos:

But, a .22LR revolver can be made to shoot very well indeed:

Every day’s an adventure.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like 'em BOTH!

Presently own a Ruger Birdshead Wrangler revolver.

Have a Glock 44 and Ruger MK 4 lite autos.

Have bought, traded and sold many revolvers and autos over the years.

Two of my biggest regrets, is selling a Colt Match Target Woodsman, and a Colt Diamondback 22LR.

Virgil B.

Last edited by vbshootinrange; 03/23/22.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Kinda like asking which kid would you sell.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

233 members (257_X_50, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 29 invisible), 2,222 guests, and 1,102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,479
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.