Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

For wildlife, landscape, street, ….

Which Canon or Sony… (I’m guessing Canon) would you buy if you wanted high megapixels, and almost top of the line…

What kills me is that I have been a Nikon guy for 25 years, but they only have 1/8th of the market so I need to jump to Canon if I want to make sure they are going to be around…

Canon owns 47-49% of the market, Sony is almost 25%…. Nikon is a distant #3…

ARGH….

Either way I want to start taking really good pictures again …

thoughts?

GB2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Canon R3. I just got to play a bit with one. It's a Sports shooting beast. I know Sports wasn't one of your named purposes...but it's going to obsolesce the 1DX-mk3 (moot anyway because I'm told Canon has dc'd production of all DSLRs). Availability is spotty right now...so if you want to go one notch down (now that I think about it, I think you wanted a notch down), check out the R6. Same FF sensor as the 1Dx-3, but with much better focus, tracking and RF lenses.

The R3 is absolute cheating for shooting sports. The EVF tracks your eye and moves the focus there no matter where in the frame that is. In DSLR world, that was easy shooting static subject, but we sport shooters had to settle for a fixed focus point and preset composition (or crop in post).

I'm going to shoot a sunrise event with the R6 and an RF 70-200 next week (since I couldn't get the R3), so I'll be able to tell you more about a few things like low light focus, dynamic range etc shortly. Cool things coming out of Canon land. oh yeah...check out the price on an RF 100-400...

Last edited by ChrisF; 03/22/22.
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
...Nikon...they only have 1/8th of the market...
thoughts?

So what? The quality of your photos has virtually nothing to do with the brand of camera you use. That's more up to your skill and determination. But if you just really feel that one manufacturer makes a specific model which appeals to you, then go for it.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by pal
...Nikon...they only have 1/8th of the market...
thoughts?

So what? The quality of your photos has virtually nothing to do with the brand of camera you use. That's more up to your skill and determination. But if you just really feel that one manufacturer makes a specific model which appeals to you, then go for it.

That is not exactly true… and you probably know that but you left out what IS important…

A) The quality of the lense(s) you can get for the camera

B) The quality of the Sensor

3). The “capability” and “ability” of the focus electronics

After those - it doesn’t matter… but these do vary between brands….

I’m thinking about getting a D850 mostly because the sensor in it has the lowest ISO rating and can recover good art from shadows… where other sensors can’t do that.

I’m looking at the equivalent spend (2,500) in a Cannon.. but of course the mirrorless tech being so new means that all the good features are only in the top end gear and it hasn’t trickled down to the mode level gear yet.

This is no “low end” camera gear anymore with the advent of the smartphones.

Last edited by Spotshooter; 03/23/22.
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
...A) The quality of the lense(s) you can get for the camera

B) The quality of the Sensor

Staying with Nikon, you get to use the quality Nikon lenses you already own. Plus you get a quality sensor. So why change brands?

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Love my Canons. Switched from Nikon 20+ years ago. Just purchased a 5DS R a few months ago and am figuring out just how good a camera it is. It was like driving a Vette and trading up to a Lamborghini….takes awhile to figure things out.

I’d urge you to check out Ken Rockwell’s site and see his write ups on various cameras and lenses. Good stuff. www.kenrockwell.com

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just spend time on an R6 for a morning event. Started shooting before dawn. Wanted to test autofocus and dynamic range. Camera is pretty amazing. In the dim lighting where many autofocus struggle, I got quick and accurate focus and viewing images in post, I found I wasn't discarding for missed focus. I also shot a 1.2 lens where many cameras miss a bunch on the run. The R6 delivered and nailed focus on pretty much every shot. ...and it was an EF lens on an adapter!

Minuses; I couldn't get used to the celebrated "eye tracking" of the R6. I need to explore that more. I switched to manual point. Even that took some learning as the point would inexplicably jump to the bottom left. Learned that it was my nose on the touch screen that was moving it!

Also struggled with making quick adjustments by feel because now many functions are menu driven. I could have assigned buttons and dials in the menu, but without "get acquainted time"...I was slowed down dropping the camera to access, view and adjust on menu.

I was impressed with the EVF, and didn't feel I gave up much or anything versus a prism. No blanking out, battery was pretty good. Mirrorless technology has truly advanced.

I ran two bodies. The R with a fast EF 50 (on a adapter), then switched to a RF 70-200 (everything I could have hoped). I also ran a wide lens on a 1D. Comparing images, I feel the R6 delivered better...but I was faster and more fluid with the 1D (probably because of familiarity).

If I were going to start fresh, I'd definitely be going R. As it is, my next body will be an R, and I'll gradually switch out lenses. My friends that were dumping their EF gear a couple of years ago are having the last laugh!

Last edited by ChrisF; 04/03/22.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
So here are some facts
Sony, since 2018 has #1 market share in the USA for full frame mirrorless cameras, followed closely by Canon. #1 overall including crop sensor is Canon, followed closely by Sony and then Olympus. They are all excellent cameras. No system focuses as fast as Olympus and they are the ONLY weatherproof crop sensor system on the market. Both Canon and Sony don';t have any crop sensor lenses that are weatherproof. They have full frame lenses that can be used on crop sensor but the 1.5x factor make the wide angle end less wide.
Any of these cameras are going to give you amazing images. Figure out what features you feel you need then make the choice based on what camera fits the need. If you are a good photographer you can take great pictures with an OLD Pentax K1000 with film. Today's cameras certainly make it easier and have a lot of "forgiveness" in them to make up for errors.
Feel free to call me at 516-217-1000 with any questions or PM me

Joel Paymer
Camera Land
720 Old Bethpage Road
Old Bethpage, NY 11804
www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000
[email protected]
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
What is your budget? Hard to make too many suggestions without knowing that. What subjects are you planning to photograph?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
For wildlife, landscape, street, ….

Which Canon or Sony… (I’m guessing Canon) would you buy if you wanted high megapixels, and almost top of the line…

What kills me is that I have been a Nikon guy for 25 years, but they only have 1/8th of the market so I need to jump to Canon if I want to make sure they are going to be around…

Canon owns 47-49% of the market, Sony is almost 25%…. Nikon is a distant #3…

ARGH….

Either way I want to start taking really good pictures again …

I8
thoughts?
'
I strongly suggest you pay for an online subscription of Consumer Reports. They test all the cameras very extensively and I rarely disagree with them. Also try see and see if Amex is still doing the double your warranty rewards.
I have a gold card that either doubles the warranty on anything electronic or adds a third year. I could care less about miles or such but they have bought me two laptops no questions asked and one of them went south the last week!

Last edited by dimecovers5; 06/01/22.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am currently shooting with the 36MP Nikon D810 for landscapes. If I were to jump ship to print big for landscapes, I would move to the Fuji GFX 100S (100MP medium format digital sensor). Staying with Nikon, the D9 or Z7II would be desired. (I am not worried about Nikon disappearing) No slouches on the Nikon Z glass, but you could still use your F-mount glass with the adapter. In the Canon venue, I'd consider the R5. The eye detection in the Canon R and Nikon Z would be nice for wildlife and people. Per DXO, not much real-life difference between the sensors of the Canon R, Nikon, Z and Fuji A7R. I would choose the best that fits your budget and purpose.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
658 members (1lessdog, 2500HD, 257 mag, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 2,750 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,108
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.