These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Riverc Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Originally Posted by Riverc
Today was a beautiful day planted Green Pole Beans, Zucchini. Radish, Eggplant, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Tomato, Cucumber, Sweet Banana Peppers and watermelon.

While I'll agree, Sunday was a beautiful day, we did not do any gardening !

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

grin

wink

laugh laugh Would be better to go Ice Fishing.

Last edited by Riverc; 03/23/22.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Believe me, I wanted to go both days !!!

But the slush is terrible at the moment, after a week in + temps.

Almost got stuck 5 times, coming home loaded, the previous Sunday.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
My wife's green beans from last summer.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B2

Riverc Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wabigoon
My wife's green beans from last summer.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That's a good mess of beans, I planted some seeds Sunday but we had a heavy downpour Tuesday hope none got washed away.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Blowing snow today. Did pick up some certified bean and corn seeds in Daleville, Virginia earlier this week. I haven't seen any local yet and I may not. Seems like the Ferry Morse/Burpee seeds I’ve planted the last two years have to be replanted 2-3 times and I still end up with gaps in the rows.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
That was only one batch.

Riverc Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Wife wanted to stop at the nursery and see what they had, we bought 3 eggplants, 3 green bell peppers and 3 watermelon plants. Transplanted them in the garden today.

Riverc Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MarkWV
Blowing snow today. Did pick up some certified bean and corn seeds in Daleville, Virginia earlier this week. I haven't seen any local yet and I may not. Seems like the Ferry Morse/Burpee seeds I’ve planted the last two years have to be replanted 2-3 times and I still end up with gaps in the rows.

The seeds you mentioned are hit and miss, the ones i get at the local hardware store seem to be better.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have noticed a big difference in seeds the past few years, especially bean seed. I have bought seed from several different sources, and have had more problems getting a good results with green beans more than any other kind. Green beans are one vegetable that we probably eat more than any other, and I've always been able to grow good crops of them..........but the past 3 years or so have seen a decline in the quality and production.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Beans and corn have been my only issues the last few years. Everything else always comes in. Beans are the worst though.

The seeds shown below is what I normally buy, but for the last two years the stores around me hasn’t had them. Seen on a website that the ACE in Daleville carried them and I was going to Roanoke anyway for the wife’s Dr appt. so I stopped in to check them out.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Onion sets and potatoes have already been bought.

Last edited by MarkWV; 03/27/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I grow the White Half Runner green beans, which have to be staked, and Blue Lake, which are a bush bean. I've grown other varieties as well, but those two are my favorites. The Half Runners have strings, and have to be picked before they get too tough, but they are the best bean for canning that we have found.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Normally Blue Lake bush for us. Tried the Slenderettes a few years back and they were delicious, planting them this year again in lieu of the Blue Lakes. Dad always planted Half Runners, I cut a lot of bean poles back then. Might go the Half Runners when I retire in a few years, have more time then to string them and piddle in the garden.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Yep, started the first summer in the new house, nothing like your own fresh produce !!

Did layer hens, in September of that year too, oh my, the eggs are another bounty !

So satisfying !!

Great looking stuff guy's!

Originally Posted by hanco
I may have to build some raised beds like these for tomatoes. We have had so much spring rain here the last few years, plants die.

The Raised bed's work great as many good pics in the thread show, from several. Remember to provide good drainage at the bottom, so as not to trap water, also!

I have everything Mounded, and running Vertical with the Land, taking advantage of Natural Drainage as much as possible!

I'm big on natural soil from Compost, in the back woods on soil, from the trees Naturally, and adding fresh natural soil all year long.
The Asparagus will start to show up soon, as last night we did have, a fresh light snow!
We won't put our Garden in for at least another month, as the last frost is usually, around Memorial Day, as a Rule of Thumb!
Our Asparagus is covered with about 12 inches of Mulched Leaf Compost, as it helps insulate the plants over Winter, and it protects it up North Here!
As far as Fertilizer, We don't use any Commercially produced products as everything comes from China, including Bag's of Soil, and I'm just not a Fan!
We use Epsom Salts with Warm Water, as a Natural Fertilizer, and It really Works Well, using Home Made, Sprays to Deter bug's during the season, such as Garlic oil, with,
Vegetable oil, and Dawn dish detergent, and not only is it all natural but it's very economical! Placing a little Epsom Salts in the bottom of the hole of each plant, and a little bit of,
Fresh Composted soil over that, and it really works Well! On the Tomatoes I've experimented with some granular sugar in the bottom of the hole for sweeter tomatoes, and so far no negative,
tests with that as we separate to test, different results! I know it's crazy but Fun! 30 ft. X 40 ft. Garden, is plenty as we do about 50 tomato plants, and about 50 different pepper plants,
Garlic, Onions, and a lot of Shallots for cooking. a couple different kinds of Tomatoes, as the Hybrid seem to do better with less Disease than the Heirlooms!
Although I like to plant a few, Heirlooms, like Cherokee Purple, and Black Krim! Their extremely Tasty, just not very Redish in Color, and eye appealing to most, but great Taste!
We do a lot of Herbs for Cooking, as my Wife is a Fantastic Cook! Basil, Thyme,Cilantro, Parsley, Dill,etc....................
We don't do Corn, as when it's in season, the Farmers around sell it for $ 2-3 bucks a Dozen, so, it's really not worth it, and it not only requires more space and room, but it also shades,
the other plants. I miss doing the Beans, as in a few yrs. I'll probably go back to them. We use to do Broccoli, eggplant, cauliflower, and a few other things, but the time commitment is huge and I do like to
keep it neat and clean like many of the rest of your pictures show. That is a nice benefit to the Raised beds! I do use straw as a top compost, mulch, and it helps to keep the weeds down!
In the spring I'll turn the last years straw under, and it really helps to improve the soil, as I test it annually!
The Garden is Fenced in, because there's Deer, Squirrels, Turkey, etc....................
As we live in the Woods, close to Civilization! LOL!!!
Good Luck All!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Riverc Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Well I decided to plant a row of Okra today been a while since I ate okra gumbo and okra stew.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Riverc
Well I decided to plant a row of Okra today been a while since I ate okra gumbo and okra stew.

I like okra breaded and deepfried the best, and in vegetable soup. I also like okra and tomatoes, as long as the okra isn't too slimey.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Dad planted Okra, we loved it. I’m jealous of you guys planning now. I’ll be waiting till about mid May. If it warms up more I may get potatoes in the ground the first of May. We’ve had frost here Memorial Day weekend.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Still too wet to plow and it's suppose to rain again Wednesday.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Riverc Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Still too wet to plow and it's suppose to rain again Wednesday.

We dry down here worked in garden today sprayed the plants for bugs they already attacking. I also transplanted 2 Poblano Peppers I bought at Walmart.

Y'all getting what we had last spring early summer down here with the rain. Weather man says we may get a round of severe storms again like last week.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
713 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 76 invisible), 2,713 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,681
Posts18,399,678
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.