Print Thread
Hop To
#17048913 03/11/22
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Want to expand into more ultra lite gear and lures under 3/16 oz. Favorites ? Let's hear about it. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
GB2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
following with interest myself!

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I keep it pretty simple. Beetle spins, crappie sliders or 1-1.5" grubtails on 1/32 or 1/16 heads, Charlie Bees, and 1/16oz Dardevles and Johnson Silver minnows are pretty much all I throw on ultralight gear anymore.

I do have a few 1/16oz-1/12oz crankbaits, but none of them have very good action, imo, and my catches on them have been pretty limited. Vertical jigging little 1/12oz ice fishing slivers can be effective in some situations, too.

I also keep a few flies to pitch with my old glass noodle to catch chubs in ditches for bait, but even running 1-2# line the casting distance is fairly limited without a casting float for weight

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Doesn't really say what species but small tube jigs , rooster tail or joe fly spinners ( 1/4 oz joe flies have been slaying trout the past few years) . Small curly tail jigs in white or chartreuse, small Rapala or a similar crankbaits. If i were stranded somewhere on the water small white curly tail grubs will catch anything in freshwater at one time or another.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yeah I didn't want to limit the discussion by being species specific....mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Add the Rapala countdown 03 and 05 to your list. While I haven't tried the super tiny 01, with a single treble, I see no reason why it wouldn't work. These tiny lures will throw far on light line and will catch all sorts of fish. It is one of my go to lures when things are slow.

Last edited by Azshooter; 03/23/22.
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
The daredavle skeeters, the smallest rapalas, almost any small spinners, Very light jigs too

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

In that case, size 2 Panther Martins. If you can't catch fish on them, you need to stay home.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Don't forget rebel wee r's especially in crawdad and hopper.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Tube jigs and hand tied marabou jigs, sizes 1/64 through 1/8 oz. I fish for a lot of panfish, smallmouth bass and the occasional trout.

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
How about suitable rods/reels for this kind of fishing. I am mostly interested in trout (streams and lakes) though a smallmouth would be welcomed (and a handful)!

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by patbrennan
How about suitable rods/reels for this kind of fishing. I am mostly interested in trout (streams and lakes) though a smallmouth would be welcomed (and a handful)!

I have a bunch of rods in ultra/medium lite from 4’6 to the 7’ range but recently ordered an 8’ two piece from St Croix. Avid series spinning rod. I bought it for trips I take to the Territories each summer and the grayling fishing. Should be a hoot. Smallmouth will be great on it but most of that fishing I do is in rivers bouncing jigs and the rod won’t react fast enough to avoid snagging.
Probably a lake use rod other than the graying.

I do have a Fenwick 10 or 10’6 two piece ultra light, forget which length I’ve used for smallies in lakes and it’s super fun but it’s maybe just a touch too much rod for that type of spin fishing. Sort of awkward casting but what a riot with a 2lb fish on. I caught a 21 inch smallie years ago on it and what an epic battle watching all that rod bow all the way down into the lake and relax back up over and over.
I think this new 8’ will be just right and being I haven’t the patience for a fly rod anymore this “crossover” should be the ticket.

All said above for working a River for smallies as I do so much I use a 6’6-7’6 medium, or med lite fast action rod. Casts the light lures long and has the spine stiffness to keep my jigs bottom bouncing quickly, reacts quickly. Also on calm mornings or evenings that size rod has enough length and spine to thro small spinner baits, reeling them in quickly to gurgle the calm surface. A killer method.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Ultra light fishing gear might be fun for the little fish, but you will have a lot of stories about the big one that got away. We saw that every year fishing in Canada. Big fish are older fish and their mouths are tougher and their skin is thicker than the little fish. You might hook into a softer spot now and again, but lots of the time you won’t set a hook deep enough into a big fish or have any control over it if you do hook into one. Maybe we were getting a little complacent about really rearing back to set a hook with a light rod, but year in and year out we got larger fish with rods with more back bone.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
If you are in less than 15 ft of water (like with any light weight rig) make sure you have some of these in your box.

They look harmless but the tail on these makes a circular wiggle pattern that drives any fish to hit the thing, I’ve sent them to my friends from Louisiana to Maine and they all wanted to know where I bought them so they could get more.

I sent some to my dad, he didn’t use them for a year and then he was fishing at a farm pond when nothing was hitting his worms so he pulled one out and tried it before he left. He called me up pissed off…. Turns out he caught almost 40 fish before they ripped the plastic off the lure…. And my brother had raided his tackle box and he only had the one of them.

they are called “mini-mites”…. I ran across them in Iowa, and I and my buddies have put over 300 crappie in the boat in an hour with them (3 guys). You want to talk about tired…

I take kids to the side of a pond with these… and just listen to the little guys screaming when they get a fish on almost every cast .

Buy the chartreuse (orange) with green head if you only buy one of them.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Spotshooter; 03/24/22.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

In that case, size 2 Panther Martins. If you can't catch fish on them, you need to stay home.

+1 on the panthers…. And if you can find them get really small red devil spoons.

I used to run up the creeks off the Erie Canal in New York State and clobber tons of fish…. It was a blast, and you’d often find half grown pike and decent bass up those feeding on young fish.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like rooster tails.

Come in 100 diff colors. And several sizes.

I use for bream/ panfish and bass on a small creek.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Buy the small rooster tails at Walmart…. And yep - those rock

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
667 members (10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 72 invisible), 3,180 guests, and 1,454 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,673
Posts18,399,532
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.