Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Started the rework of this ReMarlin 45-70 this morning.
Had to match contour from a blank (F'n PITA), and got to + .030 typ everywhere and decided to say good enough.
PacNor .458 X 8 twist, SS
Going to be a 458 Whisper'R or something along that vein, Only glanced at the reamer.
Still have to rethread the action for a larger barrel tenon and resurface the action's face perpendicular to the bore.

more pics forth coming... when ever

.... like tears in the rain
BP-B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Pac Nor will take care of you

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Surprise surprise, when i got this it was new in the box.

they seem to have acounted for it at the factory

close up of bulge in tube

cutting away factory threads and resurface receiver face
there are two tight fitting guides in place to keep all the cutting perpendicular to the bore the bolt slides back and forth in.

recutting larger diameter threads
guided by the same bore guides

New threads and face squared
You can still see remnants of the gouges that were in the face from the factory due to installing the barrel without lube.
The lower edge is cut just a smidge deeper than the top showing the out of square aspect of the receiver .

tenon difference

fitted to dummy barrel

Marlin Bulge

Im a little tired and Cranky, think I'll fit and chamber the barrel ?? tomorrow maybe ?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great project. It makes you wonder what you’ll find under the wood on these rifles sometimes.

Semper Fi
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
The bulge is intentional. Flat nosed 45/70s won’t make the corner into the magazine without it.
ETA. I see you figured that out.

What is the gain in going to the larger tenon? I can’t see the .007” per side making a huge difference strength wise. IME the chamber will bulge and the receiver will crack through the front two scope base screws and the thin web between the barrel threads and the magazine tube hole if you blow one up. They’re so thin through the front of the receiver that those holes all line up like the perforations in a check book and split them longways. I’ve seen, handled, and inspected more than a couple that had let go in this fashion and none ruptured the barrel.

Last edited by TheKid; 03/23/22.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TheKid
The bulge is intentional. Flat nosed 45/70s won’t make the corner into the magazine without it.
ETA. I see you figured that out.

What is the gain in going to the larger tenon? I can’t see the .007” per side making a huge difference strength wise. IME the chamber will bulge and the receiver will crack through the front two scope base screws and the thin web between the barrel threads and the magazine tube hole if you blow one up. They’re so thin through the front of the receiver that those holes all line up like the perforations in a check book and split them longways. I’ve seen, handled, and inspected more than a couple that had let go in this fashion and none ruptured the barrel.

I'm guessing the strength difference would be so minimal there might as well not be any?
Every one of these I've done has the "facing" part of the 1st reamer making "first" contact at a different position on the receiver face.
The cutting/rethreading effort step is done as an effort to align the bolt,barrel,bore axis , the way it does when you "true"(not a term I like) a bolt action receiver,at least in theory.
Also,installing a little bit better quality barrel cant hurt anything while on the way to changing calibers.
From your post I'm pretty sure you got that and the explanation was for those that didnt.

I'm in agreement with the holes for the scope being a strength issue and often wondered why there wasnt a dovetail of sorts running along the top of the receiver (like CZ) to attach the rings to and add a little rigidity.

The bulge in the barrel had me pretty steamed til I figured out what was going on, then I was so embarrassed/pissed at myself I had to stop for the day. Oh well ,yet another teachable moment applied and my "Super Smith" status is forever diminished. smile

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
This is how it ended up, I have all the process picture but I'm too lazy to post just now.

This was the prior rifle that ended up as a 416GNR or so close to it you cant tell the diff.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting project

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
724 members (257Bob, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 77 invisible), 2,971 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,767
Posts18,401,467
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.