Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Short vids, but funny as all get out... This guy shows people with car complaints and what is REALLY wrong... LMAO

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Looks like my SIL's car..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Reminds me of a guy I knew, changed the oil but never the filter

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Watched several of them. Thanks for sharing.

This one is really good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZNJLG2MdZI
The guardrail and the excessive wheel weights were great!

Sure wished on line videos were around when I taught High School Auto in the 80s and 90s. Would have used each episode as a class warmup while I took attendance and when over a brief talk about cause and effect.

Even though a high school didn't see many cars, we had our share coming in with strange stuff. An older full size Thunderbird drove in with its crankshaft broken in the middle. It still ran but made some noises. Seen sludge under valve covers so thick that it surrounded rocker arms with almost no way to drain back to pan. One driver complained their vehicle made a strange noise. Found all the lug nuts installed backwards on one wheel.

My two favorites:

One student's father had a very worn out Dodge Omni front wheel drive 4 banger with a rod knock. Told his father the engine was history. Dad was adamant we fix it. We found which connecting rod had the issue and ordered an oversize bearing insert. Put engine back together and it still had the knock. Vince called his father and I could hear him yelling. Student said he couldn't go home till vehicle was fixed. I took a piece of leather and skived it what I felt was the right thickness, soaked it in oil and installed it between rod cap and bearing insert. No rod knock. I told the student that it wouldn't last long but at least he could go home. The vehicle didn't break for the remainder of that year. Vince graduated. Two years later I saw Vince and he said the engine finally put the rod through the block. It lasted THREE YEARS!
Second fav: a teacher came in and said their engine had a strange green/brown fluid pooling on top of the engine and it tasted bad what was it?

Last edited by Azshooter; 03/24/22.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That pink thing on the turn signal lever takes me way back. My dad was a mechanic in the 50's and 60's. He was working for a Dodge dealer when a woman brought in a car and said it didn't run right. Dad adjusted the carb and all the usual tune-up stuff and it was running smooth. A few days later she came back in with the same complaint. Dad readjusted everything and it was running smooth again. A few days later, she was back yet again. Dad said they were going for a test drive and she was driving so he could see what she was complaining about. They got in, she started it, pulled out the choke knob, and hung her purse on it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
That pink thing on the turn signal lever takes me way back. My dad was a mechanic in the 50's and 60's. He was working for a Dodge dealer when a woman brought in a car and said it didn't run right. Dad adjusted the carb and all the usual tune-up stuff and it was running smooth. A few days later she came back in with the same complaint. Dad readjusted everything and it was running smooth again. A few days later, she was back yet again. Dad said they were going for a test drive and she was driving so he could see what she was complaining about. They got in, she started it, pulled out the choke knob, and hung her purse on it.

grin laugh

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I once put my disk pads on backwards. Took it for a test run and wtf is that? laugh
It was about 3 years ago, felt pretty dumb about it, the grinding went away when I discovered the problem.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Customer complaint "When I turn it sounds like golf balls rolling around"

Correction "Service technician removed golf balls from the trunk"

Me

R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Those are great posts.... The other day, one customer 'rolled in' and said his A/C wouldn't blow cold... Tech's camera showed him opening the door, noted the temp knob was all the way into the red... He moved it back into the 'blue' region - problem solved.... laugh laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Happening more often since they took shop classes out of high schools...........

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 673
I once put my disk pads on backwards. Took it for a test run and wtf is that? laugh
It was about 3 years ago, felt pretty dumb about it, the grinding went away when I discovered the problem.

I did the same. Made it one trip around the block before I noticed it.

Now with even more aplomb
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JPro
Originally Posted by 673

I did the same. Made it one trip around the block before I noticed it.

You two have to be the worst excuse for mechanics smile . I put my calipers on upside down, couldn't bleed the brake system, so I got to do the entire job TWICE. frown smile

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Im too old to work on crap now.
Rebuilt a CJ from a frontal rollover
Rebuilt engines, changed T cases and rear ends, plus smaller crap
Had a decent garage space and hand tools.
No air tools or the new cool battery pack stuff.

My ol ladys dad, and my step dad never wrenched. So the concept foreign to most in the families.

Ive saved a ton of money fixing my stuff.
The others have paid a lot of money for shops to fix stuff.....or not used shops and blown up fairly new cars.

Commuters. Tried to tell them watch oil and temp like a hawk. Clueless.

They buy new, and buy new again, when they fugg em up. Again and again. Wonder why they have no money.

Idiots.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I change my oil give or take about every 3-4K miles but I change my oil filter every other time. I figured I'm OK since I'm changing my oil more frequently than the auto manufacturer requires.

I guess I need to educate myself more about oil filters if the mechanic in that video was implying the clogged oil filter was the reason for a drop in pressure and performance. I assume it just meant the rest of the engine was crudded up as well.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

The engine on daughter's Honda minivan would suddenly just stop running but after stopping and putting in park would start right up and run okay again. Had it in the shop several times but could find nothing wrong. Finally figured out the cause --- her key ring was so full of cute little doodads making it heavy enough to cause key switch to break connection when swinging/jiggled enough.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by KFWA
I change my oil give or take about every 3-4K miles but I change my oil filter every other time. I figured I'm OK since I'm changing my oil more frequently than the auto manufacturer requires.

I guess I need to educate myself more about oil filters if the mechanic in that video was implying the clogged oil filter was the reason for a drop in pressure and performance. I assume it just meant the rest of the engine was crudded up as well.

I would reverse that.

Change filter more often than the oil on those OCI's.

Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those are incredible videos. How can people be so utterly clueless? You'd think that those expensive lessons would teach people something.

Well, no, I do know. They're too busy wondering what Kim Kardashian is doing.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good stuff right there.
Had me laughing!

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had a suv come into the shop that had been at another shop with no solution. Boss sent it to me as I was "the brake Guy" had a squeak when you applied the brakes, but only randomly. Drove for a while and removed the empty hanger in the rear, problem solved.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep, as an independent shop owner, I've seen plenty of issues & heard most of the excuses !!

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
384 members (1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 40 invisible), 2,048 guests, and 898 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,004
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.