Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Use yer supply of 00 buck for short range shooting & practice through a IC or cyl tube, Full choke usually sucks with 00 buck by scattering patterns.
Then go buy Federal 00 Buck Flite-Control shells, 3''-00 buck the lower velocity ones shoot the tightest patterns usually.
The tightest patterns come from Federal Flite-Control 2 3/4 00 buck LE with 8 pellets @ 1100 fps, made for law enforcement through cly/open- no choke.

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
ARIC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by doubleDs55
Use yer supply of 00 buck for short range shooting & practice through a IC or cyl tube, Full choke usually sucks with 00 buck by scattering patterns.
Then go buy Federal 00 Buck Flite-Control shells, 3''-00 buck the lower velocity ones shoot the tightest patterns usually.
The tightest patterns come from Federal Flite-Control 2 3/4 00 buck LE with 8 pellets @ 1100 fps, made for law enforcement through cly/open- no choke.

My Benelli M1 Tactical Model shoots that load best through a modified choke. There aren't any concrete rules here, individual barrels are gonna do their own thing and only some range time and some large pattern paper will tell the tale for your gun.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Thats why I said Usually.

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MOGC
The Kick's Buckkicker is usually about Improved Modified for your particular guns barrel constriction. That should be about .025" constriction from your nominal bore size. The longer ported choke theoretically should improve patterns by stabilizing the shot for a longer period of time and adding more gradual constriction and by retarding or stripping the wad away from the shot pellets as they exit the bore. Works great as long as you aren't using a shell with the Flight Control wad system. A load like the Federal Tactical with Flight Control wad will usually do best with a choke with a little less constriction and one that doesn't strip the wad.

00 Buck has a problem in that the pellet count is too low to keep the pattern concentrated at long ranges. The gaps between pellets gets too wide and fewer pellet strikes means less damage and effectiveness. Number 1 Buck is a big step toward a better load in normal lead shot pellets. A 2.75" No. 1 Buck shell has 16 .30 caliber pellets to compare to the 00 Buck 9 pellet load of .32 caliber pellets. More pellets of nearly the same size tilt the odds for multiple pellet strikes heavily in the No. 1 Buck's favor. Number 4 Buck works great on coyotes and such. No. 4 Buck is a .24 caliber pellet and the 2.75" load has 27 pellets. The 3" 12 gauge No. Four Buck load of 41 pellets has been a coyote hunters favorite for a long long time. The FBI used to issue the 27 pellet No. Four Buck load but quit after several shootings in which they cited limited penetration of the smaller .24 caliber pellets caused poor immediate incapacitation of violent suspects. Take that for what it is worth to you for your situation.

Thanks for the on point post.

Guess I'll just drop the coin and try one and see if it works or not. Figured that'd be really the only way to know anyway, just curious if anyone had actual experience with the buck specific chokes. If it doesn't I'll chuck it at a touron here in a month or two.

MAGA
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
My Mossberg shoots 00 buck tightest with .660 Turkey choke. Crappy with a modified choke. My 870 shoots best with a IC choke tube. Can't figure it out.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BillyGoatG, I don't know about now but Kick's used to let you try a choke and if you didn't like its performance they would swap it out with another constriction as long as you paid shipping for both back and forth. I have worked with them a lot on predator hunting, turkey hunting and large buckshot for defensive uses and tried different constrictions while working out the best combinations for my gun. Of course that takes ammo and time and ammo at least is hard to come by nowadays.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I was really amazed at how tight and dense my pattern with 00 buck was at 45 yards using my Carlsons xtra full. I’ve gotten to the point where I use that choke for everything and just change shot size.

Last edited by AcesNeights; 03/25/22.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I pattern, hunt with and load a lot of buckshot. Full choke almost always throws the tightest patterns. The factory full usually does pretty good. I have 2 guns that I put Buck kicker full chokes in and have patterned 3 more for other folks. They all shoot pretty dang good.

The load I hunt with is a 16 pellet 00 load (true 00, not the .32 cal pellets most manufacturers call 00) out of a Benelli SBE 2. It will hold 20" 60 yard patterns and will kill deer that far and a little farther.

I'm also working on a 14 pellet 000 load that I think will out shoot the 00 load.

It might be lonely at the top, but it's a bitch at the bottom.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I like a cylinder bore for 00 buck and have found that an IC patterns #4 buck well. The federal 3inch 41 pellet #4 buck is a great varmint load and patterns well to a decent distance.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If you can find it 12 gauge Federal flite control 2 3/4 inch shells with #1 buck gave the best groups for me. Remington 870 with an IC choke.

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by colorado bob
What choke do the police use in their riot shotguns?

That's why there is so much confusion around buckshot and chokes. The versatility of a shotgun and buckshot makes it the ideal tool for so many things. The home defender/cops would want a good, even man sized pattern at 15-20 yards. A cylinder/improved cylinder choke provides that. I want a basket ball sized pattern at 40-50 yards. If that's what anyone wants, a full choke is usually what they end up using. Don't take my word for it. Burn up $ and time figuring it out for your self. I already have.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Buckshot77

That's why there is so much confusion around buckshot and chokes. The versatility of a shotgun and buckshot makes it the ideal tool for so many things. The home defender/cops would want a good, even man sized pattern at 15-20 yards. A cylinder/improved cylinder choke provides that. I want a basket ball sized pattern at 40-50 yards. If that's what anyone wants, a full choke is usually what they end up using. Don't take my word for it. Burn up $ and time figuring it out for your self. I already have.

I've seen 870 Police Magnums come with Cylinder, IC, and Modified chokes.

No cop wants a man sized pattern at 15-20 yards. Any agency fielding that shouldn't exist.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

No cop wants a man sized pattern at 15-20 yards. Any agency fielding that shouldn't exist.

By man sized, I mean torso sized.

I'll be honest, I don't know what the police want with theirs. That's what I would want if that's what I used for HD. Defending yourself from a person across the room would require a different pattern than hunting deer out to 60 yards or so.

I'd be very surprised if many, or any of those 870 police magnums would hold a pattern tighter than my Benelli.

Last edited by Buckshot77; 04/05/22.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by doubleDs55

I believe the Federal Flite-Control wad is pretty much identical to the Hornady Versatite wad.

I have patterned the Hornady Critical Defense (12ga, 2 3/4", Versatite wad, 00 Buck, 8 pellets, 1600 fps) through my Remington 870 with 18.5" cylinder bore. At 20 yards the pattern was only about 4 inches. I didn't try it out to 50 yards, but it might be worth a look.

The Federal Flite-Control, and Hornady Versatite wad is designed to make a cylinder bore pattern like a full choke. Basically, the wad does not open up at the front. instead, a high-drag rear end essentially slows the wad rapidly, and releases the payload while keeping it in a tight cluster.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

By man sized, I mean torso sized.

I'll be honest, I don't know what the police want with theirs. That's what I would want if that's what I used for HD. Defending yourself from a person across the room would require a different pattern than hunting deer out to 60 yards or so.

I'd be very surprised if many, or any of those 870 police magnums would hold a pattern tighter than my Benelli.

Cylinder for us. Our barrels don’t have screw in chokes. Pretty much all of our shotguns are used for less-lethal. The AR has become the go-to long gun. Less recoil, easier for most people to manipulate, and likelihood of a one-shot stop is comparable to a shotgun.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Wasn’t sure which sub forum best for the question. I’ll start here.

I have a stash of 00 buck, and an auto loader I’d like to be able to hold a pattern tight enough to 50 yards that would take out K9 sized critters or torsos of 2-leggeds if called upon for it. Chokes I have that came with the gun are good to 20 yards but past that not so hot. I realize the ammo selection could play a big part in pattern performance.

Not looking to debate caliber or shot size or any of that, what I have is what I have. Just wondering if one of the buckshot specific chokes was worth it and which one? Poking around I’ve found the Carlson’s and the kicks buck kicker.

Thanks

I went through a bunch of testing when I moved to Virginia since the club I hunted with was a dog hunting club during the regular season. I got an SX3 Winchester and on advice of some others I got a Kicks Buckkicker Full choke. I tested a bunch of ammo, all at 50 yards with an 18" circle.

My favorite combo was Winchester 3 1/2 00 Copper Plated that was rated at 1450 FPS I believe. That stuff had 15 pellets in it and would easily keep 14 pellets within the 18" circle. That same combo with the Kicks and Winchester 00 worked in a few other shotguns as well.

3" Hevi Shot 00 was also very good as well.

I shot ALOT of deer with the combo and at 50 yards in front of dogs it would slow a buck down and kill real well, usually pellets braking legs and passing through the chest.

At around 35 yards or so I swear it would knock them out of the air. I was never a believer in buckshot until I spent some time working with it and seeing how my gun liked certain combo's.

Winchester also ran a run of 000's as well in 3" that were demonly as well outta the gun.

Hope this helps out some.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Last edited by beretzs; 04/07/22.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks for all the help guys.

Think I’ll try one of those buck kickers and see what happens

MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Give them a call BGG. They’re nice folks.

Oh, and if you’re patterning for the best performance try cleaning your barrel with some acetone or similar. Get all of the crap and oil out of it if you wanna see what’s best. I learned that trick while patterning Turkey loads.

For hunting it doesn’t need to be that clean but if you’re spending the money on a choke tube and the good buckshot it might help to differentiate what you’re seeing on the pattern board.

Last edited by beretzs; 04/07/22.

Semper Fi
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
90% our agency shotguns are straight cyclinder bore. We do have a few Older ones that are choked improved cyclinder. Our issued buckshot load is federal 8 pellet with the flite control wads.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
cs2blue

That flight control buckshot is the tightest shooting buckshot I have ever seen and it doesn’t need much choke for your line of work.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
701 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 74 invisible), 3,070 guests, and 1,416 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,604
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.