Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#17099823 03/25/22
L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
How big of a shop would you guys recommend for a hobby gunsmith? I’m looking for one big enough for a small lathe, mill, drill press and a workbench?

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
BP-B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
No matter what you do it will never be big enough. How big is your mill? It will never be big enough. Start with a floor model drill press.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Not sure about the shop size but where you located at? I’m asking because I’m located in Axtell and was curious about your location because there seems to be a shortage of smiths near me

L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by swarf
No matter what you do it will never be big enough. How big is your mill? It will never be big enough. Start with a floor model drill press.

I don’t have a mill yet but I learned on a Bridgeport so probably something along those lines.
Originally Posted by Edwin264
Not sure about the shop size but where you located at? I’m asking because I’m located in Axtell and was curious about your location because there seems to be a shortage of smiths near me

Near Gatesville.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by LBP
How big of a shop would you guys recommend for a hobby gunsmith? I’m looking for one big enough for a small lathe, mill, drill press and a workbench?
Mine's 8X25, and it works OK.. I do have another area I call the 'wood shop' where I do recoil pads and a few other things.. But the main shop is where 95% of my work was done.. JET knee mill and 13X40 lathe are in there along with three benches...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

Exactly.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I advise a separate room for blast cabinet and surface grinder, to keep grit contained. Smaller us easier to heat and cool. My area has a 14x40, heavy 10, 9x42, surface grinder, the biggest new hermes, Oliver adrian bit sharpener and a few baldors. They occupy with little wasted space about 12x14' with bench and tool box.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
At least 24 x 40 and that will fill up fast

Last edited by saddlesore; 03/26/22.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Godogs57

Exactly.
When I started I thought I needed that too... Soon realized that was a mistake - maybe used it twice a year and mostly for non-firearms work.. Gave it to my son..

If you really need to start small, get a GOOD mill/drill unit that has the X/Y axis table... It will be ok for small jobs until you can obtain a good mill...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I also got a mill drill the first time; didn't take long to realize that was a mistake and went out and found a Bridgeport, no comparison to a non-knee mill

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a old but very low hour jet mill, my boss bought a mill/drill for quick jobs in a remote shop.....that thing is neither a drill press nor a mill.

Whatever you build, remember that you have to control the temperature

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
One way you could go is to buy or build something along the lines of a storage building. Let's say 16'x24' and see how that works out. It's not so big to cost you allot for heating and cooling but gives you some room for the machines you want and then some. If you outgrow it you can use it for something else and build a bigger shop.
One thing I suggest is that if you buy a good knee type mill you'll have little need of a drill press.

L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
So mainly a lathe and mill not so mush a drill press.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a Brideport, 2 lathes, metal cutting lay down saw, a cold saw, bench with barrel vise and regular vise, drill press and sanders, as well as tool boxes, and phase converter. 20 x 20 and I feel it could be just a hair bigger and it would not hurt anything.
TIG welder is out in the garage

Last edited by pullit; 03/28/22.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by LBP
So mainly a lathe and mill not so mush a drill press.
Not 'mainly', but 'mandatory'.... smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a drill press too, i use it a lot. My lathe takes up so much space that i wish my shop was a lot bigger. I put the drill press, grinders, bandsaw outside under an awning. My next ship will be at least 1000 sq. Feet

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hey Dennis! Still rocking the Nardini? The Webb continues to be awesome, and I owe you for that. 👍

My shop is about 1k ft/2. I built the dang thing, almost 30 years ago, and if I could go back in time and dope-slap my 20-something self it’d be like, DUDE, if you are already doing this... just make it 8’ longer and 4’ wider! The added cost is pretty minimal at that point. But, I did what I did.

You can do a LOT in a 1K ft/2 shop, though. Just be sure to pour a really nice thick slab. Always, always overbuild concrete. Always. You’ll never regret it, and it’s cheap.

Last edited by Jeff_O; 03/30/22.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My floor is 13" thick with #9 rebar 16" O/C.

NRA Benefactor Member

L
LBP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
My floor is 13" thick with #9 rebar 16" O/C.

Wow! Do I need a floor that thick?

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Nardin recommends 2 feet under machine

NRA Benefactor Member

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
699 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 3,031 guests, and 1,421 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,680
Posts18,399,622
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.