Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Must be the week for classic stainless Model 70's, been looking at one in 338 for the last couple. Comes with box and low serial number range.

Tupperware stock? The ones I've been around have all shot well. Low number 338wm would be damn nice. Great elk rifle right there..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
BP-B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Must be the week for classic stainless Model 70's, been looking at one in 338 for the last couple. Comes with box and low serial number range.

Tupperware stock? The ones I've been around have all shot well. Low number 338wm would be damn nice. Great elk rifle right there..

Yes with 2 piece floor plate.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Yes with 2 piece floor plate.

Those are great rifles. A very popular choice with the elk hunting crowd I hung out with in Oregon. Seemed like in the 90's, everyone there used one. Our choice of bullets were different, some guys liked running 210's at screaming velocities and others like me just ran slow 250's, but the cartridge was the same. I believe that one has a 26" barrel. Some guys chopped theirs down to 23-24" and others ran them long. To me, the 26" barrel is too much of a good thing. I had a 7mm rem mag with a 26" tube and had my smith chop it down to 23. After that, it was damn near perfect.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Heck, this 7 wsm is almost going to hit a grand.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/927660440

By the time shipping, tax, buyer’s fee and FFL transfer fee are added this will go well over 1k. I figure an extra $120 over the bid price for me to bring one home. That’s almost enough to make me stop bidding. Almost. 😁

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I still have one in walnut... Hardly been used.. No box though, IIRC... The .338WM is a helluva round..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a 7 digit stainless in a 300 wsm. I bedded it and all the other stuff. One day it shoot fine go shoot it again shoot like chit. So I tore it apart I removed the chamber support of the bedding job. Still shot wonky as hell. I’m thinking WTF is wrong with this rifle different scope. Still shooting wonky, finally looked at the mag box it’s binding on the floor plate. I took the mag box to a belt grinder got to grinding. No more binding, went and shot it using 178gr eld-x and H4831 and shooting pretty consistent now. It’s around moa, not going to set any National records with it. But for moose and caribou out 300yds do just fine.

Last edited by 79S; 03/26/22.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a lefty model 70 in a 338 win mag. I used the go to powder with 225 AB and Hornady 225’s. Talk about frustration mess with seating depths etc still frustrating. So I pick up some 250 AB and holy Shinto talk about a different rifle. This thing loves the 250 AB so I bought more from SPS. I need to find some 250 Hornady’s SP.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Picked it up today . Not a mark nor scratch on it , like it was frozen in time. An enabler whose user profile starts with NYriflem*** made me buy it. grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
I have a 7 digit stainless in a 300 wsm. I bedded it and all the other stuff. One day it shoot fine go shoot it again shoot like chit. So I tore it apart I removed the chamber support of the bedding job. Still shot wonky as hell. I’m thinking WTF is wrong with this rifle different scope. Still shooting wonky, finally looked at the mag box it’s binding on the floor plate. I took the mag box to a belt grinder got to grinding. No more binding, went and shot it using 178gr eld-x and H4831 and shooting pretty consistent now. It’s around moa, not going to set any National records with it. But for moose and caribou out 300yds do just fine.

Good info J. That goes with what I was saying about the actions being very sensitive to stress. One of the rifles I sold you, the 6 digit classic sporter 30-06 was like that. I originally had bedding under the chamber area for about 2". You know everyone suggests bedding under the chamber. Sometimes it works, sometimes it definitely doesn't. Took it to the range and it just wasn't shooting as well as it should have. I went prepared with some sand paper and a deep well socket though, so I could remove that portion of bedding if need be. I worked that area over until there was clearance and right away groups shrank to 1/2-3/4". Pulled it out of the stock again and hit it one last time at the range so there was ample clearance, reinstalled and shot a 5 shot cluster that would make you blush. You know how that rifle shoots. The mag box clearance or binding can sure be an issue with these. Good point to bring it up for sure.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
I have a lefty model 70 in a 338 win mag. I used the go to powder with 225 AB and Hornady 225’s. Talk about frustration mess with seating depths etc still frustrating. So I pick up some 250 AB and holy Shinto talk about a different rifle. This thing loves the 250 AB so I bought more from SPS. I need to find some 250 Hornady’s SP.

J, have you tried 210 partitions? Some of the guys I used to hang out with, ran those in their classics and they loved them. One claimed 3,050 fps too. That's a pretty hot load though. They punch through elk like no bodies business though..

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Picked it up today . Not a mark nor scratch on it , like it was frozen in time. An enabler whose user profile starts with NYriflem*** made me buy it. grin

Dang, that is a thing of beauty really. NIB even. Don't know what you paid, but thinking you scored buddy...

BSA MAGA
N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N

whistle

5 Digit Stainless Classic.

Doesn't get much better.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You are a bad influence sir..

BSA MAGA
N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
You are a bad influence sir..

Pot. Meet kettle. Grins.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 79S

J, have you tried 210 partitions? Some of the guys I used to hang out with, ran those in their classics and they loved them. One claimed 3,050 fps too. That's a pretty hot load though. They punch through elk like no bodies business though..

I was one of them. They’re awesome bullets for pounding elk. 2950-3050 pretty easy too.

Semper Fi
N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by 79S

I was one of them. They’re awesome bullets for pounding elk. 2950-3050 pretty easy too.

I get 2900 with the 225 TSX out of a 23" barrel. Load recommend by Brian Pearce in either Rifle or Handloader, cant remember which.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Nice score OE!
That’s a damn early classic stainless.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I greyed out the last digit on this because the pic is posted on the Interweb, Unfortunately it is a 6 digit but I am not complaining. If a guy had put a complete rifle and box and vacuum packed it for all these years it would not be in better condition. I bought one of these in 1995 for 625 in 7 rem mag. I could kick myself for selling it. This one cost more 1k but I have known the owner of the gunshop for 25 years , not going to get in a tizzy over 100 bucks or so.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I greyed out the last digit on this because the pic is posted on the Interweb, Unfortunately it is a 6 digit but I am not complaining. If a guy had put a complete rifle and box and vacuum packed it for all these years it would not be in better condition. I bought one of these in 1995 for 625 in 7 rem mag. I could kick myself for selling it. This one cost more 1k but I have known the owner of the gunshop for 25 years , not going to get in a tizzy over 100 bucks or so.

You did great. I had the same rifle with a BOSS on it. Chopped the BOSS eventually then after awhile I made it into a Newton. It was an amazing rifle as a 338 and I’d get another in a heartbeat If I didn’t find an Alaskan some years back. That Classic shot everything well.

Semper Fi
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Nice score OE!
That’s a damn early classic stainless.

I believe his is a circa 2000-ish rifle. I don’t think Classic Stainless M70’s were made in the G30K range (IIRC they started in the 40K’s), but I’m often wrong smile

I had two different Classic stainless M70 338 WM’s. Neither shot all that well, but were good enough for elk. I cut both to 22,” and while I tested different weight bullets up to 250 gr’s, I used 210 NP’s on elk. My best shooting 338 was an early Stainless M700 ADL cut to 22”… that rifle shot like a varmint rifle with everything I fed it.

Here’s a bull I took in Nov, 2000. It was -14*F when I started climbing in the dark. At sunrise I spotted this bull with two smaller bulls headed up a ridge to bed at a mile distant. It took me nearly three hours in deep snow to get to the ridge they were on. I guesstimated where they’d bed, and tried to get above them, planning to still hunt down to them in their beds. It worked exactly as planned, and I shot this bull in his bed at 40 yards (210 NP).

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
767 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 92 invisible), 3,029 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,706
Posts18,400,100
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.