Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
TSS is fine if you are shooting subgage stuff. If you are shooting 12 gauge, 1 3/4 oz longbeards will stone them at 60 yards if you have the correct choke in and pattern your gun.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
TSS is fine if you are shooting subgage stuff. If you are shooting 12 gauge, 1 3/4 oz longbeards will stone them at 60 yards if you have the correct choke in and pattern your gun.

Yep, that's what I use. I shoot a Hastings .640 choke in my Mossberg 500. So far it works great.

Why do I have to press 1, for English?
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Testing TSS Turkey Loads at Long Range | Outdoor Life.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/hunting/tss-shot-long-range-turkeys/

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
why would you knowingly shoot at a turkey at 70 or 90 yards with a shotgun?
If I can't tell the difference between 40 and 70 let alone 90 yards, I need to invest in a range finder or something.

Last edited by pullit; 03/30/22.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Try shooting them with a bow, no dental work needed.

NRA Patron
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
There's always going to be people pushing the limits of the technology, that's how advancements are made. But just because something can go that far, or go that fast, doesn't mean it should be done in its practical application. But this, like all of this stuff, is my opinion and each user has to determine what's acceptable to them. Like everything in life, there's people that you're glad they do what they do and people that you wish they'd do something else.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
There's always going to be people pushing the limits of the technology, that's how advancements are made. But just because something can go that far, or go that fast, doesn't mean it should be done in its practical application. But this, like all of this stuff, is my opinion and each user has to determine what's acceptable to them. Like everything in life, there's people that you're glad they do what they do and people that you wish they'd do something else.

Kinda like these guys on TV that are shooting deer and elk at 700.......800.......900 yards with their highly accurized rifles with $3K scopes. Just because you CAN doesn't always mean you SHOULD.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
You see the 70.yard pattern shot with the fAiry dust ? (My bb gun will out shoot it).

TSS bouncing off sheet rock at 70 yards.....Say it ain't so.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Don't know as 1) never shot a 70 yard shot with any turkey gun for any reason in my life, 2) Never shot drywall with a shotgun of any type.
To quote you when I was talking about shooting roofing tin, (paraphrasing) " the turkeys I hunt don't wear tin (drywall) on their heads"

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Dry wall is softer than tin

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
5 for 5 as of this afternoon

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Learn to call 'em in close and a load of #8's will do the trick. Kills 'em just as dead as TSS!
If you can't get 'em close enough, let 'em walk.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I don’t have near the Turkey experience as you folks, after reading about the pixy dust I bought a couple box’s of 3” # 9 12 gauge. My shot was 20 yards or so, absolutely smashed him. Sure about anything would’ve worked at that range. 😅

After callin a big Tom in and watching him attack the dekes, I dunno why someone would wanna shoot one 60-90 yards, the fun of the hunt wouldn’t be there, that’s for sure.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
6 for 6. Might be done for the year - we will see. Have a NC tag left and have property to hunt in Georgia but time is short and I’m backed up at work after putting things off for 6 weeks

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby

What is your preferred shot size?

Thanks,
Chris

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I've found a few pellets in breasts, mostly on turkeys that were out there at longer distances. I use plain old lead #5 shot, as I'm not going pay $10 a shell just to kill a turkey, when a $2 one does just as good a job.

Been killing turkeys with 1250fps, 1 1/8oz of #8's for 20 years!
I agree....ain't spending $30 for 5 rounds when a 25 round box of ammo costs ten bucks or less! 😜
Dead is dead!

I had a shoulder replaced. I'm horribly right handed, so shooting left handed was a "no-go"!
A very good friend sent me a Mossberg bolt .410.

3" .410 #9's were/are impossible to locate

Out of desperation, I ordered two, 5 round boxes of 3", #9 TSS! SIXTY BUCKS! 🤯

In the meantime, I'm hunting with some 30+ year old, 16 gauge, Remington "Hi-Velocity" #7.5's I dug out of a trash can! 😉

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Judman
I don’t have near the Turkey experience as you folks, after reading about the pixy dust I bought a couple box’s of 3” # 9 12 gauge. My shot was 20 yards or so, absolutely smashed him. Sure about anything would’ve worked at that range. 😅

After callin a big Tom in and watching him attack the dekes, I dunno why someone would wanna shoot one 60-90 yards, the fun of the hunt wouldn’t be there, that’s for sure.

Those that choose to shoot beyond 35/40 yards, are more interested in killing a bird than in the experience of getting a strutting, gobbling tom into halitosis range and making a single, absolute shot.....or not!

I love the heft of a bird across my shoulder on the walk back to the truck......but a camera with several shots of a strutting bird is pretty awesome too!

I can't remember how many turkeys I've cleaned that had #5's or #4's stuck in the back of their legs!
Some idiot's desperation attempt to kill a bird that was way out of range!
It only takes one pellet to the brain or CNS to anchor a turkey. I shoot #8's for a thicker pattern. Turkey bones ain't steel.

https://www.charlieelk.com/2017/06/16/beyond-the-patterning-board-x-rays-of-shot-turkey-headnecks/

Last edited by martinstrummer; 05/03/22.
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by martinstrummer

Those that choose to shoot beyond 35/40 yards, are more interested in killing a bird than in the experience of getting a strutting, gobbling tom into halitosis range and making a single, absolute shot.....or not!

I love the heft of a bird across my shoulder on the walk back to the truck......but a camera with several shots of a strutting bird is pretty awesome too!

I can't remember how many turkeys I've cleaned that had #5's or #4's stuck in the back of their legs!
It only takes one pellet to the brain or CNS to anchor a turkey. I shoot #8's for a thicker pattern. Turkey bones ain't steel.

https://www.charlieelk.com/2017/06/16/beyond-the-patterning-board-x-rays-of-shot-turkey-headnecks/

Just because I shoot tss doesn’t mean I’m sniping them way out there. Of the birds this year our pixie dust has accounted for, 5 of the 6 were inside 35. Only one was over 40 and not by much. My last two were multi hour duels with a gobbling and strutting turkey in the timber. I didn’t put my eyes on either until right before the shot, but in both instances had them gobbling and strutting/drumming for about an hour in gun range before they presented a shot. Thats what it’s all about. No decoys, no blinds. Just good woodsmanship and gobblers that we’re willing to play the game that day. Would low brass 8s have worked? I have no idea. The cost of a couple boxes of tss shells per season pales in comparison to the cost of managing my land, leasing land and buying licenses in multiple states.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by roverboy
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I've found a few pellets in breasts, mostly on turkeys that were out there at longer distances. I use plain old lead #5 shot, as I'm not going pay $10 a shell just to kill a turkey, when a $2 one does just as good a job.

That's the way I look at it too. Nothing against guys that use TSS but, for me I've killed several birds at 40 yards and over and never used it.

I use 16 gauge, "Hi-Velocity" lead #8's. Briley X-Full tube in a 1932 Remington "The Sportsman".
All the birds I've picked up after a load of #8's have all been the maximum amount of dead! 😉!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by martinstrummer

Shot in the back of legs??

That was a flying bird for sure.

If he was hit with #4 anywhere else within 60 yards you wouldn't have been the one tagging him.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
728 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 87 invisible), 2,732 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,698
Posts18,399,950
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.