Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Y
yosey Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Y
Was wondering if there is a standard percentage when tipping a guide? I understand the good ones put a lot of sweat and work into their work to get their clients a good elk. I want to be fair when the hunt is over elk or no elk.

GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
No help from me. Been hunting the west since 1983, always DYI. Could not imagine paying 5k or more for a hunt. And then feeling as if I had to pay more. Just me tho.

Don't gobble at me
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Some of the bigger outfits may expect more than say the smaller rancher types but I would say 10% or so.
Most guides really appreciate anything you give them, they do not expect every hunter to be able to afford a huge tip.
Get to know your guide, work with him or her and relay any issue you may have about your ability in the mountains and do what they tell you while hunting.
You'll be able to determine what they were worth. If they're lazing and do really nothing to get you on an elk, tip should reflect that.

Don't forget the cook, a tip would be most appreciated if food is good. Even $100 is appreciated.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fullfan
No help from me. Been hunting the west since 1983, always DYI. Could not imagine paying 5k or more for a hunt. And then feeling as if I had to pay more. Just me tho.

Well that certainly is helpful.

>>>——>

Depending on how much effort was put into the hunt I would assume 10%+/- will catch it.

Black Cows Matter!
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I’ve always tipped 10% when hunting ranches. I have not received a single frown, sideways glance, etc. I hunted Vermejo several times for elk, mule deer and pronghorn. While there, one of my buddies there guided perhaps the #1 figure on the outdoor tv scene for elk. The hunt was paid for by Scentlock so the tv hunter had zero bucks in the $$$$$$$$$ hunt.

He took a magnificent bull of course and tipped my buddy………

$150.

He’s not welcome back there.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I use a guide every year for elk. I give him 15 to 20 percent of the cost of the hunt. No problems.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I tip 10-15% on the guided elk hunts I’ve been on.

NRA Patron
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
No solid etiquette in that frequently discussed realm. It's whatever one can afford and what one feels they deserve. If someone busts their ass for me, I'll go deep. Similarly, there will be zero if service, attitude, or effort are lacking.

Not all of us are members of the Getty family though and might have to save for a decade or more just to cover expenses. Coming up with another 10% or a grand might put us off for another year or two.

For many of us such is a significant concern. If things are tight, as difficult as it might be, I suggest one be frank and discuss the issue with the provider. Is it a one-man outfit with the owner/operator being one and the same? Some PNW fishing guides fit this setting. They're scoring $500 a day from each of the two fishermen sitting in their boat. Should he score a tip or not? Are additional staff/help salaried, collect a percent, or live off tips or a tip pool? Then go accordingly.

First mates on some fishing boats live/die on tips. Frequently, one might see a note to that effect posted somewhere on the boat. Wife and I did a tuna outing a couple years back, and a young 110 lb lady from the local community college ran her butt off tending to client's and the boat's needs for an entire 12-hour trip. We cleaned out our wallets that day and still felt she deserved more.

I've heard of instances where tips can be disruptive as well. Mostly in third world settings with numerous low-salaried staff involved. I.e. all get wages fitting to the environment, and suddenly some sector scores a windfall from a high roller client. Such can affect the overall morale of the team involved, so again one might consult the provider.

To close this out I rarely use a guide but went that route for my most recent elk hunt. Booked a 6-day one on one hunt with an outfitter and given my hopes and expectations the guide/cook/do all packer thought we could be picky and maybe wrap up in about 3 to 4 days. We were 11 days in before spotting a bull that was less than 2 horizons over. He got a $1K tip even though he was a terrible cook.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/30/22.

1Minute
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
How does one divide it all up for the cook, guide, packer, camp jack? They all contribute.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
How does one divide it all up for the cook, guide, packer, camp jack?

Calculus.

Sorry. Couldn't restrain myself.

1Minute
IC B3

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Tip well, you don’t want people thinking you are a cheap MFer.
I went for years on a company lease Wifey’s Shell team was invited to. I’d tip the guide 300 bucks for having to fool with me. It was all free, meals, room, booze. One of her guys is Jesse Loving, has a band. He brought his guitar, free concert. We had a great time. This place was way south Texas. 6000 acres, high fence, big whopper bucks. I never got a big one but a couple of Wifey’s boys did. This was 3 day hunt.

If you dont intend to tip well if you have a good experience, you shouldn’t be going.

Last edited by hanco; 03/30/22.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
10% seems to be about the norm for a guide. I begrudgingly give the same even when the service isn't very good. I just feel obligated. The people who deserve the least tips are the same people who are always suggesting that others have given them big tips and gifts. The whole system sucks.

I hunted bears in New Brunswick and met a very wealthy hunter in the camp. He had photos of himself with grizzly bears, polar bears, etc so he wasn't a BS artist. When the topic of tipping came up he said you never tip the outfitter, only the guide. Since is was the outfitter that was taking him out every evening he was not getting a tip. He said it is the way the industry works. He said he always tips well but won't be leaving a tip on this trip. Very surprised to hear his analogy.

When I hunt whitetails out-of-state, the "guide" merely drives me to my stand and picks me up. He is essentially just a driver, providing no guiding service whatsoever. Should he expect 10% or more of your total outlay? They always do.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by saddlesore
How does one divide it all up for the cook, guide, packer, camp jack? They all contribute.

How much did they contribute?

Guide - 10% for the hunt, period. Whether it's one day and a kill, or full duration with no kill, and I'll do more if the extra effort is given.

Carrying my game to the processor - they'll get gas money as well.

Cook(s) - good meals, plenty of of food, and stayed up late for my sorry @ss to come dragging in with the guide well after dark - yeah - gotta take care of them.

Wrangler / Packer - gonna get a tip, he was feeding and managing horses before I was up, and usually after I went to bed, AND he gets to cover the camp / lodge chores while we're out all day hunting.

Camp Jack - the two above are usually the CJ as well, and they can make or break a hunt - if they're packing my game out - they get included.

Know the hunt, and the type of hunting before you go - do your research. If the experience changes - was it the outfitter, or more on you for not knowing / acknowledging the details of the hunt.

The "norms" are different with each year and each new crew, but most are young, living on minimum wages from the Outfitter, and the customer tips are the only "perk" they see.

I've only had one "bad" experience with a guide, but I was also very new to guided hunts, so my expectations may have been contributing to the friction.

Last edited by AH64guy; 03/30/22.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
10% is the norm. In the guiding field one needs to remember that if you’re guide is highly sought after and somehow you get that guide, a standard 10% may not get him to choose you following years. It’s a business for the guides and many make most of their money that time of year. Now if he’s subpar that’s another story.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Ask yourself if clients you work with tip you for the performance you provide on a weekly basis. Doesn't happen in the real world. Tipping on a hunt because it's expected is elitist and wrong IMO. There should be a set and agreed on price and if you want to tip then good on the client for doing so, but expecting folks to tip isn't realistic for most people who work.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I handed out $2200 in tips on a recent 7 day Wyoming elk hunt. I killed a great bull. I ate great food and had all help with horses and chores we needed. I gave my guide $1500, the cook $300 and the two wranglers each got $200. All well deserved. Trip of a lifetime for me!

Mackey

Mackey
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by hotsoup
I use a guide every year for elk. I give him 15 to 20 percent of the cost of the hunt. No problems.
Id say this is normal unless you have an absolutely amazing experience which may depend on how successful you are anyways

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
On our Colorado Elk and Mule Deer hunts we have always tipped at least 10%, and as was said, more if they went above and beyond for us. We also tipped the cook at least $100 from the group for the 5 days of meals. Heck, we’ve even tipped the one guide’s young daughter for bringing us water and desert one meal. I’ve been on a really crappy spike camp horseback elk hunt, where the outfitter and guides couldn’t have given two $hit$ whether we seen an animal or not. In turn, their actions(or lack thereof), got them a bare minimum tip and not even a consideration for a future hunt. They even sent us each a $200 off certificate to book again, which we turned down. The last 3 elk hunts I’ve been on were awesome, with our groups tagging out at about 80%, and success rate around 95%. This outfit honestly cares how you do, and it shows in everything they say and do. We tip them quite well, above the “going rate” because they earn it and they flat out just deserve it. Use your own feelings and judgement, but remember if you just really enjoyed a fun and successful hunt, and plan to use them again for another future hunt…it’s better to overtip a bit, and keep the good vibes going. Just my 2 cents.

Doc_Holidude

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
T
TCK Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Have a friend who cooks for an outfitter. Outfitter gives him the number of hunters & crew. They come up with the $$$ for food for the trip.
A lot of the clients were corporate types who won the trip as a bonus. Friend said it was unreal with those types cause they gave away the rifle, ammo,
knives, binos, and other assorted gear as they were not going to use those thing in the future. Said cash would have been much more appreciated.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I tip my hat as I walk on past.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

504 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 57 invisible), 2,480 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,166
Posts18,465,308
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.