Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
When I go to Rome I do like the Romans but, honestly, I don't feel comfortable with this 10-15% tipping.

In my mind a tip is an extra, a completely discretional decision, and not something compulsory, obligated, and part of the salary which the guide needs to make his job worthwhile, and a cost which the employer transfers directly to the client.

I guess it is a matter of culture which In Europe is different to yours in the US. Here, waiters don't put a pistol in your chest to get a 15% service fee which, if needed as part of the salary, I just cant't understand why it is not included in the base prices shown in the carte.

GB1

RL Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BeanMan
I tip my hat as I walk on past.

We had one guide that worked for us that complained he didn't get a tip. After explaining in no uncertain terms "tips were discretionary and should not be expected" we no longer employ that guide.

Now what is expected is a good attitude and a certain amount of effort by the hunter, regardless of what they are paying. We will work hard during the hunt, but that is really just minimum compared to work and costs the rest of the year getting to the hunt.

So, if you tip your hat on the way out as appreciation for a job well done, we are good with that. If you tip your hat sarcastically, kinda how I took your comment, then you better hurry when leaving the gate cause it is about to hit you in your backside. Hope I misread your comment.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by chamois
When I go to Rome I do like the Romans but, honestly, I don't feel comfortable with this 10-15% tipping.

In my mind a tip is an extra, a completely discretional decision, and not something compulsory, obligated, and part of the salary which the guide needs to make his job worthwhile, and a cost which the employer transfers directly to the client.

I guess it is a matter of culture which In Europe is different to yours in the US. Here, waiters don't put a pistol in your chest to get a 15% service fee which, if needed as part of the salary, I just cant't understand why it is not included in the base prices shown in the carte.

Having the outfitter charge you up front to compensate for no tipping would end up costing you more than if you just tip the guide directly. Outfitter would have to pay all the employment taxes on top of that money.

Do you tell your waitress this when you go out to eat? Tipping has been the defacto standard for all service industry jobs since before we were born.

If you can tip your waitress, or your guide, don't go out to eat, and don't go on any guided hunts.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wytex
Some of the bigger outfits may expect more than say the smaller rancher types but I would say 10% or so.
Most guides really appreciate anything you give them, they do not expect every hunter to be able to afford a huge tip.
Get to know your guide, work with him or her and relay any issue you may have about your ability in the mountains and do what they tell you while hunting.
You'll be able to determine what they were worth. If they're lazing and do really nothing to get you on an elk, tip should reflect that.

Don't forget the cook, a tip would be most appreciated if food is good. Even $100 is appreciated.

When I buy what I want to eat I just go to a grocery store. I don't see any point to these Bwana faux hunts.

IF you just want some guy to point to it, hold the gun for you to pull the trigger I'd just take a side of beef and hang it on the fence. Get a lot more and better meat for your money.

Last edited by JackRyan; 04/03/22.

""Mute the Greeniacs. Open the pipeline. Bury the Russians." - JPR - 2022
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I gave my guide $500 last year. So $100 a day. I didnt tip the outfitter. Not sure if that was right or not.

My guide brought his own side by side and treated me like a friend and went out of his way to get me on game every day.
I had the most opportunities out of the whole camp.
But I’m also a DIY guy and we hunted hunted, like regular dudes. When we came up to a gate, I got out and opened/closed gates like I would if I was the passenger in my camp. Helped strap down the side by in the trailer, etc…
Just because I was a paying client doesn’t mean I can’t help.
And it went a long way.

Last edited by Dre; 04/03/22.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by JackRyan
Some of the bigger outfits may expect more than say the smaller rancher types but I would say 10% or so.
Most guides really appreciate anything you give them, they do not expect every hunter to be able to afford a huge tip.
Get to know your guide, work with him or her and relay any issue you may have about your ability in the mountains and do what they tell you while hunting.
You'll be able to determine what they were worth. If they're lazing and do really nothing to get you on an elk, tip should reflect that.

Don't forget the cook, a tip would be most appreciated if food is good. Even $100 is appreciated.

When I buy what I want to eat I just go to a grocery store. I don't see any point to these Bwana faux hunts.

IF you just want some guy to point to it, hold the gun for you to pull the trigger I'd just take a side of beef and hang it on the fence. Get a lot more and better meat for your money.

Hilarious...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M

You are really special.

Have been "guiding" myself for decades in Montana, along with sometimes guiding for an outfitter. If you've never done it, from either side, then you have no clue.

Plus, there are plenty of places on this planet where, if you want to hunt there, you must go with an outfitter/guide, by law. If you have no curiosity about that, well then good.

But if somebody else does, that doesn't mean they're "bad." In fact, have been guided by more than one outfitter here in Montana who asked me to guide for his outfit, one after our first day.

But just your comment, "IF you just want some guy to point to it, hold the gun for you to pull the trigger" is enough to tell you have no clue about what you're talking about.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I tip commensurate to the service and bring mega millions and power ball tickets to camp. I enjoy the reaction to the tickets and I'll be darn if some have sent me a personal note saying they won something.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
(Ha!) On the other hand, have often offered guides the option of cash, or my binocular (often much better than theirs) or something similar, such as my spotting-scope tripod. So far all have taken the non-cash option.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I know one guy who was strictly head hunting only who signed over a huge elk carcass to the young guide with a young family.

The guide was very happy.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by RL
Originally Posted by BeanMan
I tip my hat as I walk on past.

We had one guide that worked for us that complained he didn't get a tip. After explaining in no uncertain terms "tips were discretionary and should not be expected" we no longer employ that guide.

Now what is expected is a good attitude and a certain amount of effort by the hunter, regardless of what they are paying. We will work hard during the hunt, but that is really just minimum compared to work and costs the rest of the year getting to the hunt.

So, if you tip your hat on the way out as appreciation for a job well done, we are good with that. If you tip your hat sarcastically, kinda how I took your comment, then you better hurry when leaving the gate cause it is about to hit you in your backside. Hope I misread your comment.

I have not ever used a guide but have met a few surly ones on public land, some even told me I could not go where I wanted to go. Those are the guides I tip my hat sarcastically to as I walk on by. If I were to go hunt Alaska I would use a guide and tip him what he earned.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

You obviously know nothing about guided or outfitted hunts.
The meat is way better than any hormone fed beef you bought in the store but if that's what you like , enjoy.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Haven’t done much guided big game hunting as I am lucky to have had a father that taught me to hunt and to live in a place where game is plentiful. Same with fishing, but I’ve paid for a fishing guide and will do so again, and this is no different than big game hunting. I can generally catch fish wherever I go, but when I went to New Zealand I was very happy to have a guide and I tipped him well. A similar situation came up last summer on the Harriman (Railroad Ranch) section of the Henry’s Fork of the Snake River. The previous summer I fished there and did okay, but this is some of the best and most difficult fly fishing in the world. Last summer my wife and I booked a guided day and it was one of our best fishing days ever. We didn’t realize when we booked that we would be with John McDaniel, who literally wrote the book on fishing this stretch. What we learned in our 8 hours with him was incredible…doubt we could have ever learned it on our own no matter how much we fished there. Point being that we can always learn more, and we will never have the local knowledge that only a long time local can have. I am very happy that there are long time locals out there who are able and willing to share their knowledge of their particular trout or elk or kudu or whatever with us. Many of us here are accomplished hunters and fisherman, and there is no threat to our manliness in hiring a guide. Quite the opposite for those of us who are willing to set our egos aside so we can learn. So anyhoo, 20% or better seems right, all else being equal.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've seen this come up a few times and thought 15% of the hunt cost was the norm. Most of it goes to the guide but anyone that provides a significant service like a cook or wrangler should get a share as well.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Every one has a different experience and approach. I have used the same guide for 8 hunts over 20 years. We had a good hunt the first time out and got along well. I gave him a 15% tip. We went to his wedding several years (and one hunt) later. Over subsequent hunts I got to know his young kids. I'd come into town a day or two early to get used to the elevation and help get everything ready for the hunt. I'd have dinner with the family. After our 4th hunt, we no longer hunted out of the big camp with other guides and hunters, we did our own thing. I now give him a larger tip.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Bare minimum 10%. If Your guide takes care of you and you take a good animal Bump that up to 15%-20%

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
My best tip was to a guide who did a fantastic job and whose gear was showing lotsa wear.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve guided for a few years in Wyoming. I’ve never met another guide who wasn’t at least hoping if not expecting a tip. Now whether or not they deserved one could be debated. Like someone above posted it is the de facto norm, like it or not. If you don’t tip or tip poorly you will be remembered. If you tip well it’ll be appreciated. I’ve guided guys from fairly normal incomes to extremely wealthy. One guy who was extremely wealthy, and a lazy hunter, straight up told me his tip amount would depend on how big his bull was. Which isn’t something totally in my control. That was maybe the only conversation I’ve had with a client I was guiding about tipping. Other than when the tip was actually given.

I’ve had some bad tips that I thought were too low. I can tell you I won’t guide them again. I’ve seen fellow guides get shorted by clients and I wouldn’t guide them either.

If you can’t afford a generous tip, when deserved, you can’t afford the hunt.

I think it’s funny that African outfitters charge for a rifle rental. Maybe my next client I guide I’ll charge a saddle rental.😜. But as yet another poster said when in Rome.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Ralphie
I’ve guided for a few years in Wyoming. I’ve never met another guide who wasn’t at least hoping if not expecting a tip. Now whether or not they deserved one could be debated. Like someone above posted it is the de facto norm, like it or not. If you don’t tip or tip poorly you will be remembered. If you tip well it’ll be appreciated. I’ve guided guys from fairly normal incomes to extremely wealthy. One guy who was extremely wealthy, and a lazy hunter, straight up told me his tip amount would depend on how big his bull was. Which isn’t something totally in my control. That was maybe the only conversation I’ve had with a client I was guiding about tipping. Other than when the tip was actually given.

I’ve had some bad tips that I thought were too low. I can tell you I won’t guide them again. I’ve seen fellow guides get shorted by clients and I wouldn’t guide them either.

If you can’t afford a generous tip, when deserved, you can’t afford the hunt.

I think it’s funny that African outfitters charge for a rifle rental. Maybe my next client I guide I’ll charge a saddle rental.😜. But as yet another poster said when in Rome.

if the guide is a decent guy doing his job...tip him....lazy jackass...fug him......same for the cook......that doesn't mean they have to kiss your ass...just be good people.....

if you don't tip because the guide doesn't deserve it.....don't worry about them guiding you again....if the outfitter doesn't employ good hard working guides ...don't spend your money with them.....bob

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fullfan
No help from me. Been hunting the west since 1983, always DYI. Could not imagine paying 5k or more for a hunt. And then feeling as if I had to pay more. Just me tho.

I agree with this.

You folk that are paying guides and for hunts really ain’t hunting. This is just another discussion for the elites and supremacist. A paid excursion doesn’t make it hunting no matter the animal or environment.

Same goes for hunts anywhere in the world.

So if you have that trophy on the wall from a paid “hunt”, let it be a reminder of how helpless and pathetic you really are.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 04/26/22.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

397 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 160user, 1_deuce, 1lesfox, 22250rem, 36 invisible), 2,195 guests, and 1,033 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,493
Posts18,452,361
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.