Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman

There are no chucks in Florida. One more reason to dislike it here.

Can't argue with that sentiment, but....we voted for Trump and have no state income tax...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
BP-B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Last Sunday Monticello NY 40 degrees and rain was the first I've seen.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Prairie dogs are up in Northern AZ

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

There are no chucks in Florida. One more reason to dislike it here.

Back in the '60s and '70s they were plentiful on all the farms in the NY Catskills. Permission was readily granted and we had a blast. Then all the farms started a poisoning program and that was the end of that. The 220 Swift Varminter has sat in back of the safe for decades now.
I shot a shytload of them {100+ per summer} in Delaware County back in the '70's and 80's. Never heard of any "poisoning program" and my grandfather and uncle were both dairy farming at the time.. There are still huntable numbers of chucks in some areas of upstate NY. You just have to look for them. They aren't everywhere like they used to be. The two farms I hunt now in central NY are loaded with them. I'll usually kill 4-6 off each of them in a couple hours when I go.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
[quote][Never heard of any "poisoning program" /quote]

Never heard of any formal programs as kid, but do remember seeing some sort of sulphur smoke bomb in hardware stores. Light the fuse, throw it in, and cover the exits. Probably still out there somewhere.

1Minute
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have seen a few out on our warmer days but not alot. I will wait until the mid to late June so, the little ones are out on their own and then me and my death stick go to work.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 1minute
[quote][Never heard of any "poisoning program" /quote]

Never heard of any formal programs as kid, but do remember seeing some sort of sulphur smoke bomb in hardware stores. Light the fuse, throw it in, and cover the exits. Probably still out there somewhere.
Yes I remember those. Hardly a mass "poisoning program".

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

My choice of words may have been misleading. Maybe "program" gave the indication of a coordinated effort among a group. I'm sure it wasn't . Rereading my original post, I never did mention "formal programs".

Fact is, one by one, all the farms we used to shoot over, individually began eradicating woodchucks through the use of poison.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I DO NOT want to change this thread but I would sure like to find some where the wife and I could find to shoot some ground hogs. 2 senior (72 & 76) redneck rebels from NE Texas, have shot a few prairie dogs would like to try our luck on a few ground hogs. Any suggestions as to where, when and how would be appreciated. Thanks Daniel

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

My choice of words may have been misleading. Maybe "program" gave the indication of a coordinated effort among a group. I'm sure it wasn't . Rereading my original post, I never did mention "formal programs".

Fact is, one by one, all the farms we used to shoot over, individually began eradicating woodchucks through the use of poison.
Where was that ? I was hunting them in the Masonville - Sidney center- Trout Creek - Walton area of Delaware County in the 70's and 80's and there were still lots of chucks. I knew a lot of farmers in the area at the time and they would give permission to about anyone who asked to shoot chucks. There were quite a few people doing so at the time and it was not uncommon for us to run into other folks out chuck hunting.

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Farmers in Dutchess, Columbia and Greene gave them a good punch in the '80's.
Was told about it firsthand from one of the biggest dairy men east of the Hudson.

The problem there now is not groundhogs, it is the invasion from 100 miles south.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by WTM45
Farmers in Dutchess, Columbia and Greene gave them a good punch in the '80's.
Was told about it firsthand from one of the biggest dairy men east of the Hudson.

The problem there now is not groundhogs, it is the invasion from 100 miles south.
You'd think farmers all over the State and even other States would have heard of it wouldn't you ? I don't recall any farmers worried about groundhogs enough to put much thought, money or effort into eradicating them. What kind of poison were they using and was it approved by DEC ? Seems like they'd have been worried about their precious raptors/scavenger birds eating poisoned woodchucks.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
BH, I did not discuss any details about it. Was simply relating what one dairy farmer told me in one of my visits to landowners circa 2000-2006 when our gang was seeking different shooting opportunities. Never got turned down permission, but some places were much more productive than others.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I saw 3 today. Two of them were on the porches of abandoned houses, 2 different houses.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
My son saw a pile of whistle pigs along the highway in Northern CO the other day on his way to Aspen.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Lot's of ground hogs in Georgia but they all live near roadway's on the embankments . Hardly ever see one in an open field.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Big grey one out chomping a grassy lot in town on way to work.

Seen him a few times now.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by Jon_In_Va
I saw 3 today. Two of them were on the porches of abandoned houses, 2 different houses.

I had a farmer w an old abandoned house, chucks all under it. Said blast em.

Took a pup through quite a few weeds, off corner of porch.
75 gr Speer HP, .243 ruger #1B.

Bud and I rolled in w my 73 Cutlass Supreme and spotted him. I opened the door without shutting car off and stayed low. Hence the shoot through weeds.

When we went to check there were a ton of big blue and green flies already on the porch walls and ceiling.

The head and a paw were some distance in the yard.
The cup of the bullet w petals at base rolled back, was laying by the back wall of the porch.

It looked like a freakin horror movie.

Last edited by hookeye; 04/07/22.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Chuckies?
Bring it!

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
There are three fewer of them "out" on a certain upstate NY farm as of this afternoon. Saw 5 but couldn't shoot at 2 of them because of barn/house in the background. Killed the first at 124 yds. and the second at 104 yds. from a sitting position and the third at 35-40 offhand {didn't bother ranging that one}. The terrain on that farm is very rolling and broken up with several fields separated by hedgerows, wood lines and two wooded/brushy creek beds. Because of that, it's rare to get shot opportunities beyond 150-175 yards. Not very challenging with a scoped, centerfire varmint rifle so I just took my Henry .22 mag. with Swift 4x32 compact scope and Maxi-Mag HP's.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
701 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 3,036 guests, and 1,412 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,680
Posts18,399,622
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.