Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 1,842 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 1841 1842
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Dave,

Give the boy a high 5 for me. That is a BEAUTY. I have been trying for 6 years to get me ANY buck with my bow. Hell of a deer...I see why you are proud. 220# in early Oct. he had a month of growing to do before the rut too. Glad he hauled him out. Man what a buck...again tell him congrats.

Tom

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I inherited a Winchester rifle built in 1904 from my great uncle a few years ago, 2004 to be exact. He was a great guy... fought across Europe in WWII, went to Alaska and fished for 10 years after that to get his head straight, came back down and made a lot of money and friends. Anyway, I took that rifle out and got a deer with it on it's 100th birthday and it was a special feeling.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Guys, gas on the fire!! Gas on the fire!!!

Your pouring gas on over stimulated daves fire!!!!

Ahhhhhh!!!

Rooster, I want to show that smile so bad, I think I better ask his mom. What do you think?

Something clever here.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good call, and use your judgement, but I've been using my real name on the internet since 1992... there's pictures of my kids on my real estate website... I dunno...

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jeff_Olsen
I inherited a Winchester rifle built in 1904 from my great uncle a few years ago, 2004 to be exact. He was a great guy... fought across Europe in WWII, went to Alaska and fished for 10 years after that to get his head straight, came back down and made a lot of money and friends. Anyway, I took that rifle out and got a deer with it on it's 100th birthday and it was a special feeling.

-jeff

Jeff-

That's a wonderful way to honor him.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Dave - You can ask her if it makes you feel better. I think the response will be "Go for it!" But its up to you bud. If the "legion of internet stalkers" descends upon him they might just meet the same fate as that old buck! crazy smile crazy

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Jeff_Olsen
Good call, and use your judgement, but I've been using my real name on the internet since 1992... there's pictures of my kids on my real estate website... I dunno...

-jeff

yeah Jeff. I've posted pics of my own kids & you see pics of me on this thread... it's just a um, caution/respect thing. It's my choice to post pics of my own boy & myself, But it's another thing to post pics of someone elses kid without parental consent.

I'll ask her, then she's gonna wanna read the post, then I'll get all red & embarassed, so on & so forth.

Uno-momento por favor....

Rooster, you're right about that, there are some very able bodied men that would lay there life on the line to protect that family. I know you're one of em.

I don't think we have to worry about that sort of thing though, this site is chocked plum full of pics of kids that have parents showing them off with there first deer, bear, turkey or what ever, it's really more of a respect thing.

Dave

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
mama said "by all means"

So, I'm very proud to show this beastly young hunter man with his recent kill:

[Linked Image]

and, for the not so weak at heart, some gore!! yeah!!! get in there & drag that stuff out boy!!! Wooooo!!

That's him in there up to his elbows, just like his old man. Git r done boy!!!

Gotta respect a kid capable of doing his own "dirty work".

[Linked Image]

Guys, I get to hunt with this kid soon for the first time.

And I can't frickin wait!!

Good job boy!!!!
Woooooooo!

Dave

Something clever here.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Dave - You can ask her if it makes you feel better. I think the response will be "Go for it!" But its up to you bud. If the "legion of internet stalkers" descends upon him they might just meet the same fate as that old buck! crazy smile crazy

That's what I've always figured. I have an AR15 loaded up with 60-gn Partitions for just such an occassion!

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Yeah I wouldn't worry about it too much Dave. All the crazy people are probably to lazy to sift through this entire thread!! laugh

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
So true.

hey Jim, looky me, I hit my thousandth post.

only took me a little over 3 years!!

and I hit number 1000 replying to you, how fitting.

smile

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Hey Dave,

Ahh.....you excited buddy?

The more I see that sucker the more I like it.

So is that going to "da camp" or "da wall"?

I'm not one to shy away from gore pic's, kinda like 'em sometimes.

.... hell of a buck.

Tom

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Damn, that's great.

WWP53D
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I'm pretty sure that one will have to go on the wall at home, probably in the boy's room... no, probably in the downstairs family room were more people can see it, too dang nice to hide away in a bedroom.

As far as horn gear for wall hangings at the camp, I guess the boy will just have to shoot more & we'll hang those up out at the shack.

I might have to shoot a few myself..

looka the fat neck on that cow headed buck!!!

smile

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He'd have shot him three weeks from now there'd be no neck. He'd be shoulders and head. Damn that's a nice buck.

WWP53D
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by northern_dave
So true.

hey Jim, looky me, I hit my thousandth post.

only took me a little over 3 years!!

and I hit number 1000 replying to you, how fitting.

smile

I'm honored man! 1000 Wow!

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Dave,

Why don't you come down for pheasant opener on the 13th(or some weekend your free)and we'll see about getting you a Rooster or two for those cabin walls. Pheasant mounts always dress a place up!

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Dave,

Thanks for the Warm welcome. You have reminded me of fond memories with all of your story here and that boy. Wow that boy who has become a Man, now with the Giant buck and a bow used now as a gift from his father who is still looking out for his son. Sheeze man I don't know weather to cry of be tremedously excited this story really pulls all the right strings!

You shake that young MANs hand for me will ya, give him a firm grip from a Missouri outdoorsman and tell him I'm Proud of him!!! Excited for him and can't wait to hear more about him and his hunting adventures with you, how he is doing during the coming season and dealing with life in general. Can't wait to hear more about how this camp and the members create long lasting memories around it. Thankyou for bringing old memories back and helping me look forward to deer and waterfowl season that much more.

Now a few questions if I may? I'm considering installing a woodstove very similiar to the one which now sits in your cabin to my homemade/ wood framed enclosed trailer. I've basically framed a house on top of a 16 foot tandem axle trailer with all the wood screwed and glued together with a tin roof over 1/2" plywood.

It is Very solid and will be used as my portable camp for the far hunting ground, so the question would be will a cast iron stove like that work inside screwed down to the trailer floor? or would it crack from the jars and vibrations from driving across Vripped fields and through the woods? I really like those stoves but would also consider a cold rolled steel small stove if I have to. The reason for the bigger stove would be to warm the trailer and a homemade canvas tent attached to the back of the barn door trailer, thus my anxiety on that issue.

Now another, if that siding on your camp were used on a house, and another deer camp how long will it last between waterproofing before needed to be treated again? I've been involved in construction my whole life, yet we've not used any of that siding during the 20 years since I began pounding nails at 14. Never cared for vinyl, concrete board siding, or brick, just logs or that sheeting you used looks nice to me, and my house will need siding within a few years for an update as well as my garage and future deer camp.. As far as wood stoves I been around them and owned a few in houses but never in a trailer type atmosphere. So any input you guys would have on both issues is much appreciated Thanks!!!

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
wabo, thanks for the nice words.

now, for your questions.

the cast iron boxwood unit I got is one hot stove... can't hardly slow it down.

The gap at the bottom of the door is a little too wide from the fact, I plan on closing that gap down a little by welding a bead to add material & grind it back down smooth. for now I've been using a heavy piece of copper wire as a shim to close down that gap a litle so the fire doesn't just run away wild.

the stove likes some clearance, under side gets hotter than you would think. I think it's a real strong stove, I just think you' want to address the excessive draft issue to control the heat better & also you'd want to have some good fire board or similar product to line under & behind, some air gap stripping to hold your fireboard away from your flooring & walls would be good too.

As for the siding, we call it "T-111" type, grooved rough sawn plywood with a vert lap joint. I've seen it hold up very well in some cases with little or no care (depends on how nice you want it to keep looking)

Mine is 5/8" thick & we plan on coating it with a transparent oil stain in a "cedar color" just haven't gotten around to it yet.

The stuff I got for stain says it's good for 4 years but I expect to have to do it every 2 if not every year for the first 5 years or so to get it real good & sealed up.

well, maybe not every year for 5 years, I hope not anyways.

Dave

Something clever here.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Dave,

Once again you prove to be a wealth of both kindness and information, Thankyou. I've seen the siding for years in H.D. and Lowes yet it just seems to have never caught on in north Mo. don't know why.

I've always liked the look of it and thought it looked like a good product. Wondered about the upkeep, so are you going to simply put something like Thompsons sealer on it each time or will you restain it eachtime as well? Yes I like the ceder stain look ALOT! Once again Thankyou for all the ideas and information on siding and stoves, Yes I'm learning even after building houses for years there is always something to learn about them.

Now about hunting season, when are you going to send me some nice cool temps like perhaps 45 degree day and nights for say a month or so and then a nice splurge of maybe 5 above and some snow about the middle of Nov.? Oh boy that would fire our deer rut into High gear! Can't wait myself bring on the snow, now get up to that cabin of yours and go hunting with your family and friends you deserve a Nice Retreat! Thanks Again... Warren

Page 10 of 1,842 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 11point, 12344mag, 45 invisible), 2,550 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,975
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.