Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I just built an 18" arc and I'm trying to find a decent load for it. Most loads are clocking just under 2600 but accuracy with this aero upper hasn't been great yet. I have an 18" grendal with a BHW 3 groove that shoots incredibly well with 123g amaxes over 8208xbr at 2500 fps. My grendel seems to shoot most bullets well.

I've got a legend that works pretty well and spent a few years trying to get a 458 socom to function well. I think other than 5.56 the 6.5 grendel has been the easiest and best shooting. I've had good luck with 300 bo too. The blackouts are easy to do and usually shoot well. I've killed 3 hogs with 125g NBts at mv of 2250 from a blackout. The 125s performed very well at BO speeds. Most subsonic stuff doesn't kill well unless you have a bullet designed to expand at low speeds.

If I could only keep 1 ar other than my 5.56s it would be my 6.5 grendel. At least until I can get my 6 arc shooting better.

Bb

BB, I think I have the same upper as you. I have done well with LVR and 108's so far in my rifle. Plain jane Hornady brass as well. 10 shots have been a bit over MOA, but not much. I plan to put a bigger scope on the gun soon to see if I can shrink them a bit more.

Semper Fi
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
I just built an 18" arc and I'm trying to find a decent load for it. Most loads are clocking just under 2600 but accuracy with this aero upper hasn't been great yet. I have an 18" grendal with a BHW 3 groove that shoots incredibly well with 123g amaxes over 8208xbr at 2500 fps. My grendel seems to shoot most bullets well.

I've got a legend that works pretty well and spent a few years trying to get a 458 socom to function well. I think other than 5.56 the 6.5 grendel has been the easiest and best shooting. I've had good luck with 300 bo too. The blackouts are easy to do and usually shoot well. I've killed 3 hogs with 125g NBts at mv of 2250 from a blackout. The 125s performed very well at BO speeds. Most subsonic stuff doesn't kill well unless you have a bullet designed to expand at low speeds.

If I could only keep 1 ar other than my 5.56s it would be my 6.5 grendel. At least until I can get my 6 arc shooting better.

Bb

BB, I think I have the same upper as you. I have done well with LVR and 108's so far in my rifle. Plain jane Hornady brass as well. 10 shots have been a bit over MOA, but not much. I plan to put a bigger scope on the gun soon to see if I can shrink them a bit more.

You don't talk much about your valkyrie.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Bb

You don't talk much about your valkyrie.

I will break that sucker out again soon. Once I got a load for it, and shot it a bunch I have kinda laid off on it since I got the 6 ARC mostly.

Semper Fi
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
deer hogs and coyotes. 223 does that way out there just fine.

That said pick what YOU want to play with. Its your gun

Since the 223 will do what you need, then pick a toy and run with it. Have fun. Its a blast.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Who makes 6x45 barrels these days?

http://www.x-caliber.net/custom-ar-barrel

LOTS of calibers

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by CashisKing

LOTS of calibers

I like Arne's 7 Raptor from the reading... https://www.raptorshootingsystems.com/the-7mm-raptor/

Dang smart guy...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you could find the brass, I think 243 wssm would be interesting.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by CashisKing

LOTS of calibers

Thanh you

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Bb

I've tried lever and 105 Hornady bthps and they didn't do great. I've already loaded some 108s over lever for my next range trip. I loaded 29g and 29.5 so we'll see how they do. I shot 1 really good group last time out with factory 108s. I have a bushnell elite dmrII 3.5-21x50 on my 6 arc so i think it's enough scope.

Bb

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The 108’s have shot pretty good for me. Hope you have some luck with them.

That 108 is a nice do it all for me since they are mostly available and shoot well enough that a 1/4” one way or the other wouldn’t make too much difference to me.

Semper Fi
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Used to be 7.62x39 but changed them all out for grendel.

A person who's happy will make others happy. Anne Frank
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I love the 223 and suppressed 300BLK and have been content with those for a long time but David Walter managed to screw that up and gave me the itch for a 6mm ARC. If this ARC works out like I'm hoping, It will be replacing a couple 6.5 Creeds.....

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Nebraska
I love the 223 and suppressed 300BLK and have been content with those for a long time but David Walter managed to screw that up and gave me the itch for a 6mm ARC. If this ARC works out like I'm hoping, It will be replacing a couple 6.5 Creeds.....

Putting holes in paper or shooting deer, Nebraska ?

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’m a bad influence, or so convents full of nuns have told me.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by Nebraska

Putting holes in paper or shooting deer, Nebraska ?

kwg

We pretty much stick with the 270s for deer so this will be for ringing steel or prairie dogs and coyotes. I've never been antelope hunting but have considered giving that a try with my son and I'd think the 6mm ARC would shine there as well......

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by David_Walter
I’m a bad influence, or so convents full of nuns have told me.

With friends like you...... 😉

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did I mention Howa is making rifles in 6mm ARC now? On their mini bolt action.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Did I mention Howa is making rifles in 6mm ARC now? On their mini bolt action.

Any sightings of said rifle yet?

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I've been having fun with my 6x45 for the last year. Very easy to convert 223 rem brass to 6x45. Just run it through the die and you are done. Simple to load for, but you are limited to the type of bullets it likes. That's the main downside to the cartridge. But, with that being said, mine likes 100gr hornady btsp's for heavies, down to 58gr pills. It really likes the 85gr Sierra gameking for a do it all bullet.

I agree about the 85 gr Sierrasin my 6x45 I bought a bunch of 85 gr partitions thinking they would be the cats ass but can't get them to shoot worth a [bleep].

Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Howa Mini's in 224 ARC/PPC AFI are fhuqking EXCEPTIONAL. 88 ELDM or 90gr Beer Can magfed Smooches,ain't nuttin' to sneeze at. Hint.(grin)

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

In fairness however,the Sugar .243" 85 grainer,is a steaming piece of fhuqking schit,in any/all .243" bore chamberings. Hint.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 257Bob, 58 invisible), 2,382 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,638
Posts18,455,306
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.