Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
mjac Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by overmax
Could you mount a hitch on the back of the travel trailer?

Not on my tt. The bumper is paper thin not warrented for such. Private triple tow is also illegal in my state.

"My two most favorite people are Navy Corpsmen and Marine medivac helicopter pilots" - MEJ 1967.

GB2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Putting a hitch on a TT usually involves mounting it to the frame, not the bumper. Those bumpers aren't designed to carry any weight. It might not even be strong enough for a hitch carrier.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
mjac Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
This ^^^^^

"My two most favorite people are Navy Corpsmen and Marine medivac helicopter pilots" - MEJ 1967.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Understood, I have a couple of friends who have mounted a bumper/hitch to the frame of their tt. One pulls a sxs on a trailer behind his the other pulls a pontoon boat behind his.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Putting a hitch on a TT usually involves mounting it to the frame, not the bumper. Those bumpers aren't designed to carry any weight. It might not even be strong enough for a hitch carrier.

The bumpers are designed to carry a tube that carries crap.....literally.....

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I’m pretty sure a Honda Rancher or a Yamaha Kodak 450 would fit. Both great machines.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Understood, I have a couple of friends who have mounted a bumper/hitch to the frame of their tt. One pulls a sxs on a trailer behind his the other pulls a pontoon boat behind his.
Here's a good article on towing 2 trailers including a list of states where it's allowed. There's no date on it so laws might have changed. In general, the western states allow it but the eastern states don't. At least some states require an RV doubles endorsement on your drivers license. Also, as far as I know, no states allow 2 bumper pull trailers, only a 5th wheel pulling a bumper pull.
DOUBLE TOWING

― George Orwell

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Here's a good article on towing 2 trailers including a list of states where it's allowed. There's no date on it so laws might have changed. In general, the western states allow it but the eastern states don't. At least some states require an RV doubles endorsement on your drivers license. Also, as far as I know, no states allow 2 bumper pull trailers, only a 5th wheel pulling a bumper pull.
DOUBLE TOWING

Probably not allowed in your state of ID. Sure as hell not allowed in OR. Looks like something they would do in Arkansas or Missouri though, but those guys also do their cousins...so there's that..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have you looked at the new Honda Pioneer 520? Supposed to be designed to fit in the bed of a pickup.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
DOUBLE TOWING

Probably not allowed in your state of ID. Sure as hell not allowed in OR. Looks like something they would do in Arkansas or Missouri though, but those guys also do their cousins...so there's that..
Yes it's allowed in ID.
Snowbirds planning a trip south for the winter with 2 trailers have to plan their route carefully. In the west, OR, WA, and WY don't allow it. ID, MT, CA, NV, UT, and CO do. You might have to go way out of your way to keep it legal.

― George Orwell

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Another ridiculous projection from carpetbaggers... at least the people of AR and MO are capable of fueling their own vehicles.

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by tzone
I’m pretty sure a Honda Rancher or a Yamaha Kodak 450 would fit. Both great machines.

I have a 2018 GMC 2500 with the 6’ 5” bed and the tailgate will not close on my 2016 Honda Rancher. Also, I love my Honda Rancher

Last edited by Edwin264; 03/29/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a healthy aversion to steep quad/atv ramps to load up.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by VaHunter
Yamaha Kodiak 450 is smaller than the Polaris 570 in both length and width, plus most would say it is a far better machine than any Polaris.

I would be one of those folks. The Kodiak has been a superb machine with zero problems. It fits well in my pickup bed if I take out the tool box.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
[b][/b]
Originally Posted by Morewood
I have a healthy aversion to steep quad/atv ramps to load up.
You mean like this? Driving it up there will develop your pucker power.

[Linked Image from i.ytimg.com]

I have a Polaris RZR 800 that will fit flat in the bed of my long bed pickup. The tailgate won't quite close so I have to strap it shut . When the front tires just clear the tops of the ramps, I lose sight of them and often get too far to one side. That makes really tricky to unload. I've often had to jack up the back and push it one way or the other a few inches to get around the wheel wells.

Last edited by Rock Chuck; 05/31/22.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mjac
I have had a hunting ATV for years that I have moved around with a trailer. Now I also have a travel trailer and can not pull both at the same time.

To take both, I am trying to locate and buy another ATV that will fit into the bed of my 2016 F250 standard bed Super duty. I have a step (factory) in the tailgate and have 79" clear in the bed to work with.

Manufacture's wheel base data has not been useful as it does not translate to overall length considering front and rear overhangs, etc.

Does anyone have any real world info that would help me narrow my search for an ATV that would fit my needs?

Thank you.

A Suzuki King quad 400 cc is 45" wide at the wheels and the 500 is 47.8 at the wheels. I have the 400 and want the 500 but I haul it in my pickup. With my 7' bed I need to have my tailgate down to get it to fit in the box. With an 8' bed you should be able to get the tail gate closed with the 400. I haven't measured the length on a King quad 500 yet so I don't know how it will fit in the 8' box.
kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I rented a 2020 Yamaha Kodiak 700 last year for my elk hunt and it fit with the tailgate closed in a 6.5' bed of my 06 Chevy Silverado 2500HD. You couldn't fit much else in there, but the bike fit between the fender wells.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by taylorce1
I rented a 2020 Yamaha Kodiak 700 last year for my elk hunt and it fit with the tailgate closed in a 6.5' bed of my 06 Chevy Silverado 2500HD. You couldn't fit much else in there, but the bike fit between the fender wells.
Any atv and the 50” Utv’s will fit between the wheel wells of any full size pickup. The length is the issue.

― George Orwell

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Any atv and the 50” Utv’s will fit between the wheel wells of any full size pickup. The length is the issue.

That's why i mentioned I have a 6.5' bed length and could close the tailgate. A 700 Kodiak filled my bed, more than my old Polaris Sportsman 500 did. All the space I had left was the width of the fender well on both sides of the bed to the rails.

I have absolutely no experibce with any UTV of any size.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gunzo
Loading, on the trailer, or in the truck. Have any of you ever had a boo boo here. A high rate of ATV accidents happen this way.

I couldn't count how many times I've loaded. But after dark with a heavy dew & a slick ramp with wet tires was one for me to remember.

A couple of these pics of hauling solutions give me the willies.

I have a friend who used a rack like in the second post. It flipped on him while backing out, but on the bed height ramps, not on the higher ramp in the bed.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
734 members (02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 90 invisible), 2,727 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,928
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.