Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Beautiful, have you and I talked about this truck before?

Frigging vulture!

I am MAGA.
GB1

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
If ya gotta....send it to that guy in California. He wrote the book.

If he still does it anyway.

Adapting a Edelbrock to a pre 73 Chevy pickup isn't the easiest thing.

Throttle and kickdown cables are funky on them.

Yes, if the trans is Th400, that tv cable....

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
must be nice to live somewhere that vehicles don't rot to the ground in a few years. i love that era of shivvy. i'd leave it as-is cosmetically and just update the mechanicals as needed.

My diploma is a DD214
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by rem141r
must be nice to live somewhere that vehicles don't rot to the ground in a few years. i love that era of shivvy. i'd leave it as-is cosmetically and just update the mechanicals as needed.

I agree. We did a mid 60s f100 a while back, 100% mechanically, electrical, tires, exhaust etc. And the truck left our shop with moss on the hood from the pasture it previously sat in.

Something clever here.

W
win7stw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Jim1611
Man I see a complete frame off rebuild right there! What a great project. That's my favorite Chevy body style. You've got a great project. How far are you from Aberdeen, S.D. ? I have some family there that might have some connections for rebuilding the carb.

I am about 2 hours from Aberdeen.

IC B2

W
win7stw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by rem141r

That’s what I plan on doing to it

W
win7stw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W

Thanks for the heads up guys

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I attended one of the first QJ rebuilding training sessions GM sponsored in 1966, at the GM traing center in Memphis. The first car to run a QJ was the 65 Chevy 396 big block, and that carb had some growing pains that couldn't be fixed. GM did a recall on all of them. I've probably built up several hundred of them since then. It's one of the best engineered carburetors on the market, with the Carter AFB running a close second. Edelbrock is a third rate clone of a Carter, with a bunch of manufacturing shortcuts used to reduce the cost of manufacture,. If you have a flow bench and several thousdand dollars' worth of tuning parts, go for an Edelbrock.

The trick is getting a QJ that's calibrated for a specific engine, since they were used on everything from a 230 cubic inch Pontiac overhead cam inline six to a 500 cubic inch Cadillac V8. One size definitely does not fit all! There are also 22 consecutive adjustments to make during a rebuild. Don't skip any of them, as many of them have an effect on the next one. The best way to clean any carburetor during a rebuild is to boil the parts in a big stainless steel stock pot, with water and Dawn dishwashing liquid. Then give all the parts a HOT water rinse, and blow massive quantities of compressed air from a needle-point blow gun through all the passages. The boil and rinse softens the deposits- - - -the air blows them clean. Spray can degreaser doesn't do much other than give the mechanic a good buzz. Have fun!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J

Would it be a 400 on a c10?

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kwg020
I had a QJ on a 69 Buick Grand Sport that never failed me. When you hit the gas it would open up and things started moving. I did rebuild mine and I used over the counter carburetor cleaner to get the grime off. The biggest problem is getting the floats set right. I guess I got lucky with that since it was my first time. Now would be the time to drill out the jets if you want a little more power.

kwg

Once I figured out the metering well plugs were leaking on my mothers 1966 Riviera and caused hard starting in the mornings, couldn't have asked for a better carb on that 425 nailhead. That particular carb was almost an 800 cfm model, IIRC. I'd suggest finding some smaller diameter metering rods instead of drilling the body, or find someone who had one of those tiny Unimat lathes and turn an existing metering rod down. The sheriff of our county who was a good friend, asked me one time if there was any way I could get that car away from her as she taught school about 15 miles south of town and knew only two speeds, stopped and wide open. She passed by his office everyday going to work and he said if she was running a little late he'd radio his deputies to look the other way if she passed them. I asked him why he didn't give her a ticket like he did me and he said " Ain't gonna happen".

Last edited by Chisos; 04/02/22.
IC B3

W
win7stw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
I attended one of the first QJ rebuilding training sessions GM sponsored in 1966, at the GM traing center in Memphis. The first car to run a QJ was the 65 Chevy 396 big block, and that carb had some growing pains that couldn't be fixed. GM did a recall on all of them. I've probably built up several hundred of them since then. It's one of the best engineered carburetors on the market, with the Carter AFB running a close second. Edelbrock is a third rate clone of a Carter, with a bunch of manufacturing shortcuts used to reduce the cost of manufacture,. If you have a flow bench and several thousdand dollars' worth of tuning parts, go for an Edelbrock.

The trick is getting a QJ that's calibrated for a specific engine, since they were used on everything from a 230 cubic inch Pontiac overhead cam inline six to a 500 cubic inch Cadillac V8. One size definitely does not fit all! There are also 22 consecutive adjustments to make during a rebuild. Don't skip any of them, as many of them have an effect on the next one. The best way to clean any carburetor during a rebuild is to boil the parts in a big stainless steel stock pot, with water and Dawn dishwashing liquid. Then give all the parts a HOT water rinse, and blow massive quantities of compressed air from a needle-point blow gun through all the passages. The boil and rinse softens the deposits- - - -the air blows them clean. Spray can degreaser doesh't do much other thsan give the mechanic a good buzz. Have fun!

Want to rebuild it for me?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Keep it original. A good working qjet will feed even a warmed up sbc quite well.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I built a MOPAR 440 truck pulling engine and used a single QJ for a 455 Buick on it. I put slightly richer secondary metering rods in it- - -otherwise it was totally stock. A dyno run got 714 HP at 6500 RPM, corrected for temperature and humidity. We won several pulls in the Super Stock division, which required us to run one carb and gasoline.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Hotrod Lincoln is right, a qj is a very tunable carb, if you know how to do it. And again he is correct they adapted them to many engines. I've had my hands on many and pay attention to many things that are different. But, for down and dirty tuning, the rear metering rods are about as fast to change as taking the air cleaner off, and you don't have a puddle of gas all over your engine like a holley. The primary rods can be changed as well as the jets, but you have to take the top off for those. I always checked the linkage, some wouldn't open the secondaries all the way. Keep it original.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
On the smaller displacement engines, the angle of the secondary air valve controls the maximum CFM available. The Pontiac 230 carbs only allowed the air valve to open less than halfway. The throttle plates go wide open at full throttle, but the spring loaded air valve limits the air flow to what the engine needs and no more. That spring is also adjustable to alter the secondary tip-in point.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Remember the Q Jet (excellent carbs btw) is jetted for non-ethanol. Pick up an Edelbrock. 500-600 cfm carb with electric choke. Bolt it on and forget it.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If that’s the original carb to that engine, it should be calibrated pretty well for it. There’s a nine(?) digit code on it that will tell you if you are unsure. Be sure and get yours rebuilt by someone who knows qjets. DON’T take it in to some parts place for a rebuilt exchange. Those rebuilders just assemble them from whatever bits and pieces that come out of the soak tank. Then everyone wonders why they don’t run right and cusses them. A properly tunes qjet with its triple venturi setup will actually meter fuel more accurately than fuel injection!

One issue you need to know about with this crap ethanol gas is the accelerator pump. The alcohol ruins the usual rubber cup those are made out of. When the pump doesn’t work right you get a lean mixture when you jump on the gas quickly. One of these, or similar, will save you some headaches:

https://quadrajetpower.com/accelerator-pump-assembly-new-ethanol-compatible-2-57/

Yours in Liberty,

BL
W
win7stw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by grouseman
Remember the Q Jet (excellent carbs btw) is jetted for non-ethanol. Pick up an Edelbrock. 500-600 cfm carb with electric choke. Bolt it on and forget it.

I won’t be driving this very much so I plan to run non-ethanol gas in it. My brothers runs an ethanol plant and I like to joke with him about ethanol being terrible fuel

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DillyBixon
Quadra Jets are about the simplest carbs out there.....

Said nobody ever, like fking.... ever.

Qjet is the equivalent of a mechanical computer for fuel. Rube Goldberg masterbates to qjet illustrations. It's the most polarizing carburetor in existence, haters and cult followers.

It's a lot of things, but "simplest" is the furthest word from the truth.

I would agree with this......
Back in the day we had a guy, 1 guy , in town that could make them work. When you got a quadrajet from him it was an amazing carburetor.
We used them on our Jeeps, one of the few that wouldn't flood out 4 wheeling.
Holleys were junk off road, but made more power.... Carters were junk and didn't make power

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can always take a shot at overhauling it, if as you say you'll use non-ethanol fuel. Q-Jets are mechanically simple, I don't get how people think they're complicated. All carburetors are mechanical computers for fuel. Yes, the adjustments have to be made carefully and in order, but it isn't rocket science. The overhaul kit comes with clear instructions and even the tools for measuring. Unless the throttle shafts are worn and leaking air, you should be able to bring it back to life. Because it's the original carb, most of the settings should be good or at least close.

Overhaul kit, new float, new base gasket, new choke. If the the fuel well plugs are leaking then reseal them with JB weld. If in doubt, I'm sure there are youtube videos for every step of the process.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (44automag, 35sambar, 10gaugemag, 6mmCreedmoor, 6MMWASP, 358WCF, 13 invisible), 1,525 guests, and 854 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,658
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.