Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by 7mm_Loco
First thing is check the Carb # & date code to see if it's original to the truck (or engine) if it is the calibration will be correct unless someones messed with it.. Then check for excessively worn throttle shaft bores by adjusting the idle speed to factory spec (or your liking)... If you cant get it to idle slow enough with the idle speed screw backed all the way out (throttle blades completely closed) it means too much air is leaking past the shaft bores and they will have to be rebushed... Next check for leaking jet wells by running the engine, Then let it set (without messing with it) overnight... Then (without starting it) get your eyeballs overtop the carb and look down into the primary bores (carefully open the choke plate if necessary)... Now open the throttle several times... You should see fuel squirting out of the accelerator pump discharge holes... If no fuel squirts (or some fuel but mostly air) you have leaking jet wells... You can verify which ones are leaking with soapwater and compressed air after carb disassembly... The fix is to drill or mill the secondary jet well caps out and replace with screw in plugs(with epoxy on the threads)... The primary jet wells (if leaking) can often be carefully restaked... Just putting epoxy over the jet wells never works for long as the heat and fuel loosens it... Your best source for quality rebuild kits, parts & info is Cliffs Q-Jets (Cliff Ruggles) in Ohio... He wrote the best book available on Q- Jets (and iv'e read em all)... I do my own carbs (with Cliffs technical assistance)... But you should expect to pay someone competent about $300 for a basic stock rebuild or as much as $5-600 for a rebushed & jetwelled, recolored & replated, performance tuned works Job... And it's worth every penny... They work fantastic!... Ya'll can keep your Fool injection...

First thing is check the Carb # & date code to see if it's original to the truck (or engine) if it is the calibration will be correct unless someones messed with it.. Then check for excessively worn throttle shaft bores by adjusting the idle speed to factory spec (or your liking)... If you cant get it to idle slow enough with the idle speed screw backed all the way out (throttle blades completely closed) it means too much air is leaking past the shaft bores and they will have to be rebushed... Next check for leaking jet wells by running the engine, Then let it set (without messing with it) overnight... Then (without starting it) get your eyeballs overtop the carb and look down into the primary bores (carefully open the choke plate if necessary)... Now open the throttle several times... You should see fuel squirting out of the accelerator pump discharge holes... If no fuel squirts (or some fuel but mostly air) you have leaking jet wells... You can verify which ones are leaking with soapwater and compressed air after carb disassembly... The fix is to drill or mill the secondary jet well caps out and replace with screw in plugs(with epoxy on the threads)... The primary jet wells (if leaking) can often be carefully restaked... Just putting epoxy over the jet wells never works for long as the heat and fuel loosens it... Your best source for quality rebuild kits, parts & info is Cliffs Q-Jets (Cliff Ruggles) in Ohio... He wrote the best book available on Q- Jets (and iv'e read em all)... I do my own carbs (with Cliffs technical assistance)... But you should expect to pay someone competent about $300 for a basic stock rebuild or as much as $5-600 for a rebushed & jetwelled, recolored & replated, performance tuned works Job... And it's worth every penny... They work fantastic!... Ya'll can keep your Fool injection...

Heres your carb guy
Need your address I will send you a few

GB1

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
If you can’t figure out a Q jet you better go with something new. They are a very simple carb.if the throttle body isn’t wore out a simple kit will fix it. They make a tool kit to fix the throttle body also. Way better street carb than a Holley with way better mileage. Edk

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I wouldn’t dream of painting that truck. That would looks so good just clear coat the rust
That patina can’t be duplicated. Unless it parked on a pasture for 30 years

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ERK
If you can’t figure out a Q jet you better go with something new. They are a very simple carb.if the throttle body isn’t wore out a simple kit will fix it. They make a tool kit to fix the throttle body also. Way better street carb than a Holley with way better mileage. Edk

Post like this just make you scratch your head.... and think the internet is full of useless opinions

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Originally Posted by DillyBixon
Quadra Jets are about the simplest carbs out there.....

Said nobody ever, like fking.... ever.

Qjet is the equivalent of a mechanical computer for fuel. Rube Goldberg masterbates to qjet illustrations. It's the most polarizing carburetor in existence, haters and cult followers.

It's a lot of things, but "simplest" is the furthest word from the truth.

True...

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Damm ..I've did a dozen truck rebuilds...same pickle the op's in...

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I always loved the sound of Q jet on a big block Chevy!

W
win7stw Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by atvalaska

And what route did you go?

W
win7stw Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
I wouldn’t dream of painting that truck. That would looks so good just clear coat the rust
That patina can’t be duplicated. Unless it parked on a pasture for 30 years

It only took twenty years of being in the pasture to get that patina

Last edited by win7stw; 04/03/22.
IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
If ya gotta....send it to that guy in California. He wrote the book.

If he still does it anyway.

Adapting a Edelbrock to a pre 73 Chevy pickup isn't the easiest thing.

Throttle and kickdown cables are funky on them.

Yes, if the trans is Th400, that tv cable....

The TH 400 uses an electric kickdown switch, there is no tv (throttle vavle) cable... The TH 350 uses a kickdown cable (kicks trans into a lower gear for better acceleration) operated by the carb linkage... There is no tv cable on it either... TV (throttle vavle) cables were used on TH700 4r's and TH200 r4's in the 80's to control hydraulic pressure in the transmission...

I was fishing for a reaction from JC, he questioned of TH400 would be in there behind a sbc in a c10 so that sort of dead ended on me. No cable on th400.

You should come and fix one of my aluminum powerglides. It shifts super prematurely in drive and will not kick down. Does fine if shifted manually. I think it's a governor issue, thoughts?

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by win7stw
Originally Posted by atvalaska

And what route did you go?

At the time I was poor so to say ...always went with one of those elbonboc carbs , easy to tune ...the extra electric choke I was not impressed with , but they were easy to tune. Once I had more funding I found a q jet carb guy and he did them for me ...alot of linkage to get right on them things ...85 degs in summer an 40+ below in winter...and all I had to do was turn the idol up come winter, and back it off come summer.

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Opinions are often based on what you know. I rebuilt a lot of Qjets and other carbs when I was turning wrenches. The Qjet is my favorite.
Loco above has been into them as well by the explanation of the well jets. Spot on. Edk

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I've rebuilt many Q-Jets and none were junk because they were on vehicles I bought new and they weren't worn out. If you buy a rebuilt carb at your local parts store it will probably be junk. I recommend Mountain Man Fuel Systems. If you send them your carb and it will come back rebuilt and looking new. If you have a modified engine they can modify your Q-Jet so it will run right. They can covert your carb to electric choke and add a fast idle solenoid for your AC if you don't already have one.

I have a Jet Performance Q-Jet on the modified 355" in my '80 3/4 ton Chevy truck but I had a lot of problems with it.

https://www.mountainmanfuelsystemsl...ort_by=category_order&sort_order=asc

D
D
Oh... lookie....
Here's one now......
Hard to make fun of people who can make things work that you can't...... lol

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
If ya gotta....send it to that guy in California. He wrote the book.

If he still does it anyway.

Adapting a Edelbrock to a pre 73 Chevy pickup isn't the easiest thing.

Throttle and kickdown cables are funky on them.

Yes, if the trans is Th400, that tv cable....

The TH 400 uses an electric kickdown switch, there is no tv (throttle vavle) cable... The TH 350 uses a kickdown cable (kicks trans into a lower gear for better acceleration) operated by the carb linkage... There is no tv cable on it either... TV (throttle vavle) cables were used on TH700 4r's and TH200 r4's in the 80's to control hydraulic pressure in the transmission...

I was fishing for a reaction from JC, he questioned of TH400 would be in there behind a sbc in a c10 so that sort of dead ended on me. No cable on th400.

You should come and fix one of my aluminum powerglides. It shifts super prematurely in drive and will not kick down. Does fine if shifted manually. I think it's a governor issue, thoughts?

Only powerglide i've ever messed with is the cast iron version in my 55 Bel-Air... Had my trans guy rebuild it and he removed the TV linkage bracket from the side of the trans (which was unnecessary and lost the factory adjustment which is critical to proper function)... Wound up fabricating my own tv bracket adjustment tooling (from photos and specs in my 55 chev shop manual)... My brother gave me a 63 Chevy II when i was 13 that had an aluminum glide... I put an engine in it (6 popper) and drove it around in his salvage yard... Never messed with the trans... I would suggest getting an old shop manual (or chilton) read the trouble shooting section and go from there...

Last edited by 7mm_Loco; 04/03/22.
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by RickinTN
Holly used to, about 45 years ago, offer a spread bore model as a direct replacement for Quadrajets. I had one and it worked beutifully. It was a 650 cfm as I recall and fuel economy just about doubled on a '70 model 300 hp 350.
Good Luck with your truck!
Rick

I had the exact opposite results when I tried one of those carbs on my '68 El Camino with the L79 327" (350 hp). It greatly decreased the performance because the Q-Jet was 750 cfm and Holley was 650 cfm. Highway gas mileage with the Q-Jet was 20 mpg verses 14 mpg with the Holley.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I don't recall the L79 being equipped with a Quadrajet, rather it had a square bore, aluminum dual plane manifold with a small*** Holley on top.

*** 585 or 600

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I gave a friend a Holley spread bore last fall. Never got the performance or mileage with it that the quadrajet gave me. Tried one on a Chevy around 1976 or so and wasn’t impressed then either. Edk

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ERK
Opinions are often based on what you know. I rebuilt a lot of Qjets and other carbs when I was turning wrenches. The Qjet is my favorite.
Loco above has been into them as well by the explanation of the well jets. Spot on. Edk
After most of a driving lifetime of Chevs/GMCs of one sort or another, I feel the same. A Qjet can seem complicated when you first open one, plus the sandwich aspect, and there are a few tricky maneuvers here and there (getting that top back on with the tubes and accel pump plus the choke operating rod, for example) but a little experience with them gives rewards. Not messing up the various operating linkages for openers is a big plus, and following good procedural steps as well. I did prefer the hollow metal floats over the synthetic version. Bushing any leaking shafts is the biggest chore. But, good results last a long time.

I have dealt with Holleys on some - and my 67 Corvette 327/350 came with one from the factory with a correct/good manifold - and that match up is a key factor with the Holleys. You can get some strong performance when all is right - but - I lived mostly in a HOT climate and warping of those metering blocks was a BIG pain. And, the dual bowl floats can be finicky. In my case, not nearly as dependable as the Qjets.

Of course, YMMV.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 66 invisible), 2,891 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,706
Posts18,456,843
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.