Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
CBB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
From a 65 acre property I've had exclusive permission to for the last 10 years. The landowner nephew and buddies are now allowed to hunt it.. Nephew is 20 something maybe 30..
Anyway I don't want to invest my time and $ into a property where others are benefitting.

Landowner offered to have the new crew split work and cost of plots and such. Just opens up cans of worms I don't feel like dealing with. I prefer to hunt away from others. Unless family. I don't want to hunt where someone else just fogged it up not knowing how to hunt the wind or properly enter and exit..

My hunting buddy and son think we should hold on if we can keep archery secured.

I think we should bail.

We killed a pile of deer there and some damn good ones. Hate to end the memories but hate a hassle also.

Hunt...
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
It hurts.
Were you saving up for the last 10 years to buy something?
Always be looking. Always.

W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Might be worth it to try it one more year. You’ll still likely have the place to yourself much of the season. Lots of guys don’t really go out that much. You might even like the new guys. I’d still have a backup plan in case it becomes a hassle. If they’re not bow hunters you might already have a good buck by the time firearm season rolls around.

The bigger issue may be that there’ll be no room for your buddy and his son. Would you hunt the place alone? Might be awkward to disinvite your two buds. Maybe the three of you can work out another place while you still do some hunting on the old property.

Last edited by WMR; 04/03/22.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Meet with the nephew to "coordinate." You'll know what to do within ten minutes.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by okie john
Meet with the nephew to "coordinate." You'll know what to do within ten minutes.

Okie John

Good advice.

IC B2

C
CBB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Wife and I bought 57 acres in '18. This place im talking about is a patch of our old stomping grounds. The nostalgia of it is the hard part. We do have a deer camp down the road 2 miless so that also makes this property nice to hold on to. Everything else around camp is posted or you have to walk 3 miles to get to public.

Where the wife and I live now on our 57 is surrounded by public. Which is why I have more of a mind to walk away. I could hunt here at home the rest of my life and do just fine.

But I do like John's idea.

No idea if these new fellas archery hunt or not. If we retain the archery and get a day or 2 in rifle I guess thats good enough. Especially if the cost gets split. My buddy is also on good terms with the landowner so im certain we are good to go there.

Hunt...
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Good luck with the deal. Maybe something works out just fine.
Youth can help with the workload.
I find it harder to put up with things I can't control as I get older.
Peace and quiet on your own land is worth every penny paid to get it. Enjoy it often.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Probably worth the effort to at least talk with the guy, BUT “buddies” more than likely will futz it up for everyone. Buddies usually mean more and more buddies, and a small property just can’t absorb a lot of pressure. I doubt very much that the new guys will be willing to forgo Archery season.

I’d be looking into convenient Public Lands. I’ve found that they can be enjoyable and productive if you can avoid weekends and sometimes opening days.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like you already made up your mind.

Yup.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
All good things come to an end

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I would not walk away just yet. Feel them out and see what you will be dealing with. see who shows up and who deosent. If they have other hunting properties they may not be there ( your Place) all that much. people with more then one property tend to gravitate to the one that has the best hunting. Last if you can,switch things up on them and hunt the middle of the week then, you will not be dealing with them on the weekends.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'd walk away from it

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Hell that isn’t a big enough property for 3 people.

I’d try to lease it from the owner and have it all locked down. Whatever leases go for add a little $ and see if he will bite

if that doesn’t work feel it out I guess. But sounds like this is probably the end

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
What you don't know yet is how dedicated or involved these other two guys are as hunters. Do they hunt just on the weekend or once a year type social hunters? If so, you may not be out much other than an occasional weekend. I'd give it a season or two to see how it shakes out. Have them put their share of the work in and set expectation early.

On that note, I've lost lost property so many times over the years that I started saving. I bought 93 acres for the family and I to have our own place where we could control the situation. I've not regretted the decision.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
NW PA with tens of thousands acres of open land and you are worrying about 65 acres?

Suggestion, sign up for HuntX and you will also find additional large pieces that are not GL and open to hunting.

Last edited by battue; 04/09/22.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by CBB

Where the wife and I live now on our 57 is surrounded by public. Which is why I have more of a mind to walk away. I could hunt here at home the rest of my life and do just fine.

Last edited by battue; 04/09/22.

laissez les bons temps rouler
C
CBB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by battue
NW PA with tens of thousands acres of open land and you are worrying about 65 acres?

Suggestion, sign up for HuntX and you will also find additional large pieces that are not GL and open to hunting.

It's nice to have private parcels to have some control. Plant plots. Hunt and not be disturbed by others.

I've got onx and use it extensively. I play in the ANF and SGL alot CP also. Probably headed shed hunting on ANF after work.

Hunt...
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
i have had this happen to me on my uncles land i was the only person hunting there then more people showed up with permission too so what i did was buy some land and keep it too my family only son daughter ,son in law , grandson , one true friend who is like family maybe better and me for deer season. i make the rules boys and myself one 8 pt. or better , daughter and grandson what ever no more than two any deer.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Probably worth the effort to at least talk with the guy, BUT “buddies” more than likely will futz it up for everyone. Buddies usually mean more and more buddies, and a small property just can’t absorb a lot of pressure. I doubt very much that the new guys will be willing to forgo Archery season.

I’d be looking into convenient Public Lands. I’ve found that they can be enjoyable and productive if you can avoid weekends and sometimes opening days.

Or if you go further back than anyone else like i do, I have never seen another soul hunting the areas of National Forest I hike into....Id say Pappys advice is spot on....Good luck 👍....Hb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Unfortunately nothing lasts forever. Learned a long time ago hunting leased land. Equipment needed to be on wheels. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1OntarioJim, 1234, 12344mag, 70 invisible), 2,258 guests, and 1,130 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,734
Posts18,457,547
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.