Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I found a Parker hale that’s in another state and a family member is available to check it for for me . I am curious which Mauser action this maybe and if it’s a safari deluxe?

It has no model number

Gold trigger

Monte Carlo cheek piece

Dark end cap on the stock

Redfield 12x scope

Serial is p 47

Parker hale ltd Birmingham

Last edited by Boxerdog; 04/03/22.

Memento mori ( remember you must die) enjoy every day for tomorrow you may not wake

You can always borrow and pay the money back but you can never get the time back

Everyone hunter should own a fine rifle, life is short.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Probably a Spanish Santa Barbara LR 98.action.

Hard to tell much with so little information to work from.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Every Safari Deluxe I've seen has been marked, "Safari Deluxe."

Does the receiver have a thumb cut or solid left wall?

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Parker

Here’s a picture

Last edited by Boxerdog; 04/03/22.

Memento mori ( remember you must die) enjoy every day for tomorrow you may not wake

You can always borrow and pay the money back but you can never get the time back

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
It looks like a PH 1200 Super Clip.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

Steve it’s got a floor plate

Here’s a better picture

Parker hale picture

Last edited by Boxerdog; 04/04/22.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It looks like my Foremost 6500, the standard P-H blueprint.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Unsolicited comment... Avoid Parker Hale "Santa Barbara" branded mauser rifles. Spotty quality reputation at best. Many other superior mausers out there such as Husqvarna in their own or Model 1640 or FN action based Husqvarna Model 640 rifles. Santa Barbara often more handsome stocks, but most typically also "styling dated".
Good luck & just my take.
Best!
John

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by iskra
Unsolicited comment... Avoid Parker Hale "Santa Barbara" branded mauser rifles. Spotty quality reputation at best. Many other superior mausers out there such as Husqvarna in their own or Model 1640 or FN action based Husqvarna Model 640 rifles. Santa Barbara often more handsome stocks, but most typically also "styling dated".
Good luck & just my take.
Best!
John

Do illuminate us with your observed spoty quality issues. Not hearsay and speculation.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Boxerdog
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

Steve it’s got a floor plate

Here’s a better picture

Parker hale picture

The PH 1200 (no suffix) didn’t have a detachable mag. Sorry I can’t be of more help.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Mr. Z... This subject returns to a conversation we had perhaps a year or so ago regarding an aspect of the same subject. Spanish Mauser manufacture "heat treatment" of actions. We differed then concerning allegations arising decades ago which I found credible concerning both Spanish military and later commercial actions as being excessively "soft". Resulting in instances of measured bolt lug setback in receivers. I personally don't trust the genre. Let's move on from heat treatment "personal opinions" as you note which both of us shared! as I don't believe we'll agree today.

Re the Spanish mauser genre quality: My own experience owning a Spanish Model 43, 98 Mauser. Bolt matching, action "rough as a cob! Quite a few commercial & military mauser pattern rifles in my stable and 'it' as definitely the worst. Such, notable expert opinions in support.... The late Frank de Haas comprehensive work "Bolt Action Rifles". (FrankDeHaasBoltActionRiflesDBIBooks1995) in that Edition, @ Pages 306-7, a discussion as pointed condemnation of the Santa Barbara model 98 action in terms of general components roughness and grossly over-heavy striker mainspring. I consider him the primo expert in such book entitled subject matter and here refer you to him as my "authority". What's your authority?

Next, to inquire, how would you rate the Santa Barbara mauser action in comparison with the FN 98 postwar branded commercial rifles and 'other brands' using such FN actions?

Last, the Santa Barbara commercial mauser sporter strong point as its tendency toward flashy stocks. The 'apparent bargain' comparing to other 'less conspicuous wood' commercial mauser brands lines. The actual Santa Barbara 'in hand as reputation evolved, versus nice photos 'in bush'; leading to the apparent bargain basement used prices of today as reputation now known.

My definite take!
Best!
John

Last edited by iskra; 04/04/22.
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What's your authority?

Best!
John

John, my authority is my own first hand experience. I don't have to rely on second hand hearsay. I've rebarreled hundreds of Mausers. I have a VERY good idea of which ones tend to run soft and which don't.

Spanish Mausers encompass a wide variety of models. The 93 pattern being very different from the 98 patterns models. Then too, the military models differing considerably from commercial models.

I won't go into an treatise here on the subject but suffice it to say that a good many valid concerns about Spanish 93's and their variants do not extend to the Commercial Santa Barbara actions.

So, condemnation by De Hass of a grossly over-heavy striker mainspring, a $5 part, easily replaced, translates to an excessively "soft" receiver? Wow, what a leap.

You should stick to collecting and stop giving gunsmithing advice.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Not trying to derail the thread PH makes a good rifle , Burmingham barrel ++. They used up the Mausers after WW II and rebarelled them with Birmingham barrels mostly 30-06 , 270 Win ., and 7mm Remington.

Z1r , What's your opinion on a Spanish 96? 2 lug bolt Ovideio Mauser with a mismatched straight handle bolt ? 7mm.Mauser.

Last edited by Malcolm; 04/04/22.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by z1r
What's your authority?

Best!
John

John, my authority is my own first hand experience. I don't have to rely on second hand hearsay. I've rebarreled hundreds of Mausers. I have a VERY good idea of which ones tend to run soft and which don't.

Spanish Mausers encompass a wide variety of models. The 93 pattern being very different from the 98 patterns models. Then too, the military models differing considerably from commercial models.

I won't go into an treatise here on the subject but suffice it to say that a good many valid concerns about Spanish 93's and their variants do not extend to the Commercial Santa Barbara actions.

So, condemnation by De Hass of a grossly over-heavy striker mainspring, a $5 part, easily replaced, translates to an excessively "soft" receiver? Wow, what a leap.

You should stick to collecting and stop giving gunsmithing advice.

He likes the sound of his own advise, and thinks others do as well.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
1200 Super

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I have the same gun in 30-06, Stacked up a lot of meat in the thirty five years I have had it and never a problem. Was told it is a model 1200.

G
GRG Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Looks like a 1200 Super to me as well. I have had a few and they were great rifles. Just picked up a 6mm last weekend on a trade.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Update …. Does anyone know of a website that has accurate information so I can date my Parker hale.

I finally have it in my possession

Last edited by Boxerdog; 05/08/22.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I would ask here:

https://www.gunboards.com/

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

132 members (1_deuce, 257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, 17 invisible), 1,758 guests, and 962 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.