Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
40O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Has caught my attention, probably because I don’t have to shoot real ammo! Wax bullets, primers, and reamed out primer pockets seems like a nice trick to beat the ridicules price of ammo. Anyone here participate and willing to share tips and trick of getting into the hobby with the new guy?
Thanks,
Peter

"What I was saying is if my kin folk 400 years ago had guns, we wouldn�t be having this conversation. I�m in favor of guns and encourage everyone I know to have them because the last time we didn�t have them we were abused.�
Rep.Mitchell.
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've watched it online for years and love it, but it does not have Cowboy in the name. That's part of SASS, I think. The sport has a very small following nowadays . A couple states usually run the show always.

See if you can find some old Cal Elrich videos online. He's a big name in it.

Like you, I wish it was huge. I would jump right in it.

And it's pretty good for spectators too, unlike most shooting competition.

Look here: https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/174126-information-for-making-blanks/

Last edited by JD45; 04/05/22.
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Can you imagine the ridicule MATT DILLON would have suffered from the towns people and the frequenters of the Long Branch if he had placed his body in the same contortions as the shooters we see on TV and U-Tube. Half laid back almost falling on the ground. I have watched a few matches on TV as well as U-Tube, fast yes, but almost a joke.

Last edited by onehandgunner; 04/07/22.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Knew two guys that gave it a try with live ammo. Both managed pass-throughs of the thigh without hitting bone. One was a .22, the other a .41.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
One of the most amazing shooters to me was Bob Munden.

Even he used a protective holster, with a piece of angled flat steel on the backside of his holster, just in Case,
that would deflect an errant round, just to be safe!

SMART MAN!

Last edited by HunterShooter58; 04/09/22.

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's a sport. That's why they use blanks and wax bullets. They have many divisions. If you want to use more traditional guns and holsters, and thumb cock, there is one for that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Knew two guys that gave it a try with live ammo. Both managed pass-throughs of the thigh without hitting bone. One was a .22, the other a .41.

I knew one, .22 messed him up pretty badly.

He instantly became the most gun safety-conscious man alive.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by onehandgunner
Can you imagine the ridicule MATT DILLON would have suffered from the towns people and the frequenters of the Long Branch if he had placed his body in the same contortions as the shooters we see on TV and U-Tube. Half laid back almost falling on the ground. I have watched a few matches on TV as well as U-Tube, fast yes, but almost a joke.

Yeap, ridiculous!

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
the reason you see many different positions people shoot from is for speed and the least amount of hand movement possible to get the fastest draw. you guys should not knock it until you try it CowBoy Fast Draw has thousands of members in this country and a few other countries. I have been shooting this sport for 13 years now and it is the hardest shooting sport to master because it is so mental it changes from minute to minute and to be a champion you must be able to hit the target at about 70% of the time and shoot under .400 thousands of a second. that is from the time the light comes on till the wax bullet hits the target. we are having the US Championships in Deadwood,SD next month and have about 270 shooters from the US and I believe 3 Foreign countries coming. 400 since you show to be in Arizona you will find a lot of shooters there to check it out go to CowBoy Fast Draw on the web and you will find a list of all the clubs in the US with contact phone numbers so call the closest one up and they will let you give it a shot using their holsters,guns and ammo and it will not cost anything. great thing about this sport is you can shoot against a World, State or Territorial champion and beat them because it is your day and not theirs. you see above Cisko aka Master Gunfighter he has won many Championships but I have beaten him so it can be done and is a very inexpensive sport and a lot of fun, where else can you shoot 100 rounds of ammo for less than 10.00 sorry for this being so long

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wish you the best and hope to see it grow. Problem is many states don't have it at all.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
very easy to start a club in any state that does not have one

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Hydehunter
very easy to start a club in any state that does not have one

Can I get local info and or event info??
Shoot me a message or post here if a good way to stay in touch.
Thx

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by onehandgunner
But, old Matt Dillion would be alive to endure those ridicules wouldn't he?
funny contortions? maybe but one can't argue with the times and accuracy.
i remember when folks were ridiculed for topping their rifle with a scope.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Unbelievable!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cal has done so much for the sport.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Thank you guys for this info

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Don' forget a Montana man by the name of Ed McGivern.
Five shots in 3/5 ths of a second. Shooting lead disk out of the air. The lead disk shows when he made a site adjustment.
His book , Fast and Fancy is a great book.

Hal

Last edited by HalH; 05/14/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had Ed's book for years. And also' No second place winner' by Bill Jordan. Great information in both books. Those guys were one of a kind.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
312 members (257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 31 invisible), 1,992 guests, and 921 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,953
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.