Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
7mm-08

The voice of reason.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
But is it stamped 7x57 "MAUSER"?

I mean, let's get ultra-correct about all of this....

Why are today's rifles chambered for the .22 Varminter (a term copyrighted by Jerry Gebby) stamped .22-250 "Remington"?

For that matter, why are today's rifles chambered for the .30 U.S. Army now stamped .30-40 Krag?

Why are most rifles (or ammunition) for the 6.5mm rifle cartridge, co-developed by what was then the Combined Kingdom of Norway and Sweden in the early 1890s for their armies, now called the 6.5x55 "Swedish Mauser"? The armies of both nations used rifles chambered for the same round, in Norway a Krag-Jorgensen, while most "Swedish" rifles were made by Mauser.

Why is the .38-55 (a cartridge introduced by the Ballard in the 1870s) now usually called the .38-55 W.C.F.?

I guess folks better stop calling the 6.5 Creedmoor, the "Creed" too. After all it comes in 6mm and 22 flavors as well.

Last edited by TexasPhotog; 04/05/22.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by EdM
Mine is stamped 7x57.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Did you threaten to shoot the cat for clawing the couch?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Thought I might also post photos of this genuine Rigby rifle in .416, the favorite back-up rifle of Luke Samaras, the well-known African PH, when in 2011 I hunted with his company in what was then the Selous Game Reserve in Tanzania.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Too cool.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
An entertaining thread. Yowza!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

But call a magazine a clip, all hell's gonna break loose.

Well, even the manufacturers have struggled with that, so that one doesn't bother me so much:
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Referencing a .45 “Long” Colt will cause some folks to break out in hives.

If the folks that developed it sometimes embraced the "Long" moniker, I'm ok with that one too...

What I AM sick of is "run". Where the [bleep] did that come from and hasn't it "run" its course yet? Instead of a swear jar, I'm thinking about putting up a "Run Jar" at work. "I run Weatherbys", "I run Leupolds", I run Federal" "I run Hoppes". Jesus! Make it stop already!

Another one that has finally subsided somewhat is "Weapon System". I almost had a stroke when some Tacti-Cool numb-nut called a SAA a "weapon system" on the old Top Shot TV show a few years back...

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

What I AM sick of is "run". Where the [bleep] did that come from and hasn't it "run" its course yet? Instead of a swear jar, I'm thinking about putting up a "Run Jar" at work. "I run Weatherbys", "I run Leupolds", I run Federal" "I run Hoppes". Jesus! Make it stop already!

...[/quote]

It comes from guys who like to run their mouth.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Me

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
DRT ?

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
THANK YOU for saying that. And to this I'll add "running" as an obnoxious substitute for "using"...

Thanks jorgeI - where the hell did "running" come from?

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Thinking about this whole thread, this issue of bastardization of terms/nomenclature: I think maybe it's a result of countless hours spent over the last couple decades of staring at a screen and reading (seemingly) tons of crap about shooting (and if you're reading this I bet you're guilty too), and witnessing the phenomenon of suddenly everyman having a platform on which to speak. BI (Before Internet) the only writings one read was done by pros who if they didn't have a decent command of the King's English at least had an editor who did. The language was kept tight, or relatively so. Now on the other hand, we're bombarded with words written by Jake the Hermit, Egbert the Basement Dweller who never finished high school, and Antonio the Newbie who never took an English class in his life - all pontificating semi-erroneously, in their local dialects, and ballooning the common vernacular with ill-thought out witticisms and malaprops.

I fear we must get used to it because everyone with a thought in his head is free to express it to a million people. Definitely a good thing, overall, but it leads to degradation of the language in general, and to our sport in particular, if standards/definitions/spellings aren't at least attempted to be recognized.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
The Swede 7x57.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thought I might also post photos of this genuine Rigby rifle in .416, the favorite back-up rifle of Luke Samaras, the well-known African PH, when in 2011 I hunted with his company in what was then the Selous Game Reserve in Tanzania.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Mule Deer, is there a word or term for that bolt design, other than straight? thx

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
We Americans sure do a wonderful job of bodgering the English language. Hell, every language come to think of it.

What makes my eyeballs roll back into my head is "Remmy", Winny", "Bob", "Creed", etc. Are people's fingers broken, such that they can't type a couple extra letters? I say this in jest (sort of), and suppose that it's part of the natural progression into "text speak" that is taking over our vernacular. That or a need to sound witty/hip.

THANK YOU for saying that. And to this I'll add "running" as an obnoxious substitute for "using"...

Come on now, there is a reason those wannabe soldiers use the term "running" instead of "using". It makes them feel like the man that they are not, and know that they will never be.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Hold on tight! I believe butchering of the English language is just getting started good. Certain ethnic groups of people purposely mispronounce and spell those words, (if they are capable of spelling) of the English language, apparently just to piz off other people that pronounce and spell those same words correctly. Here is an example. The word "thing" has now evolved into "thang". Marketing has picked up on this and you will see names of certain products spelled the "hip" way. Don't be surprised if your children are being taught at school (and TV) that these slang words are the correct pronunciation and spelling of the language. RJ

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Schools no longer mark off for spelling or penmanship, don't teach cursive, B/C is acceptable for "because"
Text spelling/grammar is making it's way into everything.

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Has anyone hit on the caliber vs. cartridge thing yet?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
No. We were waiting on you!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
No. We were waiting on you!

Sorry, I am one of those heathens that is not bothered by the misuse of those terms ..at least not very often.... laugh

I have also frequently referred to my .275 Rigby as simple a .275.....

Last edited by ingwe; 04/06/22.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

"meat missile"

Originally Posted by Teal

GOA
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

318 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 264mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 2five7, 39 invisible), 2,702 guests, and 1,077 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,609
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.