Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I will start by stating that I am a novice when it comes to handguns so feel free to 'dumb' things down for me.

Sure I own a few handguns but I rarely carry them and am in the learning stages of CC.

My biggest fear when carrying would be shooting my dick off, so with that said help me out....lol

I recently purchased a HK VP9 and so far really like it. But it is rather large and I would like to get a smaller version. They make a compact model, the VP9SK but in my research I see they also make a hammer style version of similar size in the P30SK. This is where it got confusing for me. HK has several versions/variants of the P30.

Am right in assuming that the P30SK V3 with manual safety and de-cocker would be the best variant to avoid shooting my junk?

Do I want or need the safety?

https://hk-usa.com/hk-models/p30sk/

I'm joking around but serious question!

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dude, seriously, Glock perfection! Nobody ever shoots themselves with those!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sammo,

By my own logic, if you want to carry appendix get the hammer for the added security. Arteries and junk need not be shot. You're really the problem not so much the gun. If you're on the hip or towards the rear I'm not sure it matters.

Fcck any safeties. They'll get you killed!

As far as the HK goes the the VP pistols are striker fired and have nice triggers for one.
The P30 is a different animal. Most get the DA/SA or the V1 LEM style trigger (which is an acquired taste).
IMHO HK triggers pretty much suck.

If it were me, I'd get a Cajunized CZ P01/PCR (light) or Sig Sauer 226 (Heavy) for AIWB or Sig Sauer P365XL for the hip. All of these pistols have great support and are easy to carry for the specific application you decide to go with.

Last edited by 4winds; 04/05/22.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I am researching!

Thank you for the recommendations.

The CZ looks slick.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I agree with 4winds take on things. Makes a lot of sense and tracks with my experience. I would also suggest the Shield, with or without the safety. Very unglamorous and I love it.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Shields good too. Really, you should finger fcck a bunch of em. I am a trigger snob so the Walther and HK VP9 (which is rumored the Walther did the trigger for) are probably the best. But I'd get a P365XL or Shield for my hip as they carry a similar amount of rounds but are incredibly light and slim and shoot very well for the smaller dimensions in comparison to the Glock 19, CZ P10C, VP9, PDP, etc.

In a hammer fired carry gun I believe the P01 and PCR are cream of the crop with two caveats - replace the factory trigger (it's shiddy) with the defensive carry package from Cajun Gun Works and get some slim grips or whatever width you want from Lok or VZ grips, etc.

Lots of good ones out there, just need the right fit and application.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sam. That snubnosed Airweight J-Frame 357 mag you bought recently is about as close to “Idiot proof” as they come.

Those that claim a “safety will get you killed” are usually full of it. Or never shot enough to develop muscle memory.

I shot IPSC competition with a 1911 with a safety for many years. Never failed once to flip the safety off in all those years of competition.
And I've also used it on a couple of charging wounded feral hogs I’ve put down with it while bow hunting. Safety flipped off without ever thinking about it.
If you want a nice autoloader with a safety for concealed carry, buy it. You will get used to it quickly with practice.

I’m betting you’ve never bailed out of a JD Tractor without taking it out of gear or putting it in Park, either.
I know I haven’t with at least 50 years spent on a tractor.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I am researching!

Thank you for the recommendations.

The CZ looks slick.

I would think an old fashioned double action auto pistol would fit the bill. E.g., a CZ-75 compact, lightweight (aluminum frame), model, with the decocker-only feature. The latter feature makes it impossible to activate the safety, so your only safety is the initial double action pull. One less thing to worry about, yet still inherently safe. What was the safety-decocker lever serves only as a decocker lever in these models.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thank you guys for helping out.

The snub 5 shooter was the original idea now we are on to the 2.0 plan....lol

I haven't looked at all the reco'd pistols.

Any single stacks?

How many rounds fit in a sub compact single stack 9mm?

7-8?

9-10?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Another great option would be a vintage (pre-lock) S&W K-Frame with a three inch barrel and round butt frame. Those are awesome carry guns, and idiot proof, so long as you never cock the hammer and learn to shoot double action.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you stay away from appendix carry and pocket carry, the chances of your biggest fear becoming a reality go way down regardless of the platform you choose.

Surely you have some friends in your vicinity who can let you shoot a lot of different guns before you spend more money.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get a black slide S&W SD40 and put a set of M&P nights on it. Block sights, press hard on trigger and repeat as necessary. It will work every time and requires deliberate effort to shoot.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
No gun is idiot proof - but all the 'responses' have merit.

I've had a lot a lot of handguns through the years and seldom carry -
But when I have, it seems the the Ruger LCR worked the best for me,
whether holstered or in pocket.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sam,

Appendix carry only works for folks that don't have to carry armloads of stuff, lean over fenders or fences, or sit-stand all the time. I'm guessing it wouldn't work for you.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Look at the Kahr line if thinking compact single stack.

The trigger pull on those is similar to a tuned double action revolver, pretty safe & dependable guns. I love a Glock 48,but the Kahr is a touch smaller & seems to have a safer trigger.

The CW 9 is the sweet spot IMO.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
If you stay away from appendix carry and pocket carry, the chances of your biggest fear becoming a reality go way down regardless of the platform you choose.

Surely you have some friends in your vicinity who can let you shoot a lot of different guns before you spend more money.

Originally Posted by JOG
Sam,

Appendix carry only works for folks that don't have to carry armloads of stuff, lean over fenders or fences, or sit-stand all the time. I'm guessing it wouldn't work for you.

Good advice

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep, thank you guys for helping out.

Might have asked the same question several years ago and never made up my mind....lol

Do appreciate the recommendations and will check them out!

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Armored jock😂

Seriously though, if you feel comfortable with a safety carry something with it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get a SIG SAUER P225 A1 (*if you can find one used*). Hammer fired.

Single stack, but unless you need to defend yourself at an inner city concert...you won't need more than 8+1.

Works well IWB, even in warmer weather.

Any SIG P226 version, P229 or Sig's .45s are great.

The Sig 365 and 365XL as well as the Springfield HELLCAT are great. 13 rounds.

Beretta FS Compacts 13+ to 15+ rounds. Hammer fired.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I will start by stating that I am a novice when it comes to handguns so feel free to 'dumb' things down for me.

Sure I own a few handguns but I rarely carry them and am in the learning stages of CC.

My biggest fear when carrying would be shooting my dick off, so with that said help me out....lol

I recently purchased a HK VP9 and so far really like it. But it is rather large and I would like to get a smaller version. They make a compact model, the VP9SK but in my research I see they also make a hammer style version of similar size in the P30SK. This is where it got confusing for me. HK has several versions/variants of the P30.

Am right in assuming that the P30SK V3 with manual safety and de-cocker would be the best variant to avoid shooting my junk?

Do I want or need the safety?

https://hk-usa.com/hk-models/p30sk/

I'm joking around but serious question!

(1) all guns are loaded
(2)never allow the muzzle to point at your dick or anything you are not willing to destroy.
(3) keep your finger off the trigger until you are on target and ready to fire.
(4)be sure of your target and beyond.

I don't like DA/SA pistol actions and I don't believes they are any safer. The best safety is between your ears - work on that.

I like the simple striker-fired pistols without a safety - less stuff to fiddle with. DA/SA invite fiddling. External safeties invite fiddling. Fiddling shoots dicks off.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1lessdog, 1OntarioJim, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 63 invisible), 2,391 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,664
Posts18,455,763
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.