Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've not been to Homer in 20 years or so.

Have friends going and will be there a night or two and want to do a charter appx mid August.

Any suggestions. They are open to a long day, multi catch if possible.

Thanks in advance. I"ve never fished from Homer so have no clue in that area.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Well this might not be any help, As I have not been to Homer in 15 years. But have chartered a boat out of the Homer spit a couple of times. The name of the charter boat was the Short Circuit. Caught some real nice Halibut with them. Good capt. and mate. I have no idea if they are still fishing out of Homer, But I would go with them again.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Google "Current Lady" -------Central Charters Homer AK

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Check the prices for fishing the dumbest fish in the ocean. It's easy to drop $500!

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Still limit of two - 1 chicken and 1 halibut on charters?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ironbender

Yep. Hardly worth going anymore, unless you just really enjoy going fishing. Luckily I haven't had to do a "charter" in a long while.
I'm not up on Homer charters anymore, but check with Bobs trophy charters or Buttwackers, I've heard good things about them.
Or drive back up to Ninilchik and go with J&J smart or KeyO's. You get the advantage of a shorter boat ride and a cool beach launch.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
The folks want to see homer and fish homer. once in a lifetime for them. I'll be busy on the Talkeetna all summer so no control of what they want.

Wouldn't be what I'd do but it is what it is.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan

Yep. Hardly worth going anymore, unless you just really enjoy going fishing. Luckily I haven't had to do a "charter" in a long while.
I'm not up on Homer charters anymore, but check with Bobs trophy charters or Buttwackers, I've heard good things about them.
Or drive back up to Ninilchik and go with J&J smart or KeyO's. You get the advantage of a shorter boat ride and a cool beach launch.

+1

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

It's been quite a while since I've gone on a charter. J&J Smart is probably the last charter service I used. Our party limited out, but not all on the boat were as fortunate. Other boats arriving back at shore around the same time faired even worse. Launching and retrieving from shore with tractors was an interesting experience. I would go back with them again if I was inclined to do another charter.

On my first trip to Alaska before becoming a resident, I fished with Tom Bunnell on the Halibut Hunter. I've fished with him a couple times after that as well. I might not recommend him for neophyte fishermen(women) as he is a bit gruff. He was quick to bark orders (and he wasn't wrong). But he knows where to find fish. For experienced or tough skinned fishermen he is someone to consider.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by VernAK
Check the prices for fishing the dumbest fish in the ocean. It's easy to drop $500!

Wouldn’t be surprised if he put a fuel surcharge on top of that too.

I have done the math on that business model. Tough way to go about it.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yep. Hardly worth going anymore, unless you just really enjoy going fishing.

Or unless you're not from up there and always surrounded by that life. Thinking you've got a case of not recognizing what you've truly got access to. (not trying to be a jerk at all here, just bringing some reality from where a 5# freshwater fish is considered a monster)

A couple years ago we fished out of Seward. 6 of us caught our Halibut limit plus about 8 other species of fish. The guide was apologizing for it being a slow day. We were all looking at each other like what the hell is he talking about?

My 8 year old boy sure thought it was a grand time anyway.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Calvin
Originally Posted by VernAK

Wouldn’t be surprised if he put a fuel surcharge on top of that too.

I have done the math on that business model. Tough way to go about it.

We are running fuel surcharges again this year so it would make sense.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Cheesy

Or unless you're not from up there and always surrounded by that life. Thinking you've got a case of not recognizing what you've truly got access to. (not trying to be a jerk at all here, just bringing some reality from where a 5# freshwater fish is considered a monster)

A couple years ago we fished out of Seward. 6 of us caught our Halibut limit plus about 8 other species of fish. The guide was apologizing for it being a slow day. We were all looking at each other like what the hell is he talking about?

Oh I know how spoiled I am. I laugh at myself every time I whine about having to eat halibut AGAIN.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Cheesy

PM Sent

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Another vote for J&J Smart charters out of Ninilchik. The owner is a retired USAF pilot and his wife was the secretary to the 11th Air Force commander, which is a 3 star general.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

This man knows whereof he speaks.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
M
MLC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by rost495
The folks want to see homer and fish homer. once in a lifetime for them. I'll be busy on the Talkeetna all summer so no control of what they want.

I’ll be there in May to fish the Talkeetna.

Any politician who thinks they can fight the evil that has consumed the government is delusional or lying. There is no political solution.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Winston Church
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The beach launch alone was worth fishing out of Ninilchik. Halibut are my least favorite to fish for but definitely one of my favorite fish to eat. Deep water halibut fishing is a meat hunting affair and a lot of work.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MLC
Originally Posted by rost495

I’ll be there in May to fish the Talkeetna.

If you want to fish Talkeetna from Homer you must like to drive a lot!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RickBin

This man knows whereof he speaks.

+1

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (222Sako, 163bc, 10Glocks, 16Racing, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 56 invisible), 2,457 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,072
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.