Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks,

I've sent them a couple emails and never heard back either.

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
BP-B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Is it going to make a difference on the business end? I think you guys over-think much.

3300fps is no good, but 3500 Is? Really? That's the implication.

Shoot the stuff for drop and group, and that's all you really need.

My opinion is worth what you paid for it- pm me, and I'll send you an address to mail the check. smile

Last edited by las; 04/29/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by las
Is it going to make a difference on the business end? I think you guys over-think much.

My opinion is worth what you paid for it- pm me, and I'll send you an address to mail the check. smile

If +/-200 fps doesn't matter, why don't the ammo companies just advertise the lower and correct velocity?

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
So you believe in the "news" just as presented? By anyone.

Well, advertised MV does matter for prying money out of the pockets of those who over think it. Advertising always puts a rosy light on the stuff being sold. Expect and allow for it, unless it's too egregious. No one sells stuff by understatement. Usually. It's nice if approaches accuracy tho. As noted, they likely changed something and not the web site. Enough feedback and they probably will.

Plus, are you using the same barrel, throat, twist (not, from your post), etc. they are, under the same conditions?

Or you can load your own for your desired velocity in your rifle, under your conditions. Personally, I load for best (or acceptable, at least) accuracy with the components I am using, at the time I load. I don't own a chronograph, and have never used one. It would be an interesting data point, but that's about it for my use.

One of my scopes says "1 click =1/4" at 100, but in practice, 3 clicks equal an inch at 100. But it is repeatable......I can live with that.

Trust but verify/adapt for your own use?

Sometimes "good enough" is just that. Good luck with your quest.

Last edited by las; 05/08/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Hornady Superformance factory 280 Remington ammunition with the 139gr SST loads run 2975 fps out of my 22" barrel. They're rated for 3090 fps.

The only factory ammo that I can recall hit advertised specs was some older 35 Remington 200gr core lokt ammo. It clocked 2150 fps from my short 18" barrel. It's rated for 2080 fps.

IC B2

P
Puddle Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Originally Posted by las

If +/-200 fps doesn't matter, why don't the ammo companies just advertise the lower and correct velocity?
Bingo

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Quoting las “ are you using the same barrel, throat, twist (not, from your post), etc. they are, under the same conditions? ”

Did the factory test in commercial rifles or in a pressure barrel? Lots of variables; increasing the number of variables increases the range of outcomes and the likelihood of velocities not matching the advertised.

las has listed some excellent solutions which ring true in my experience

“ Shoot the stuff for drop and group, and that's all you really need.

Trust but verify/adapt for your own use?

Sometimes "good enough" is just that. Good luck with your quest.“

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Is the standard temperatures for ammo manufacturers 59 degrees?. Shooting in temperatures 20 degrees colder than standard would cause a reduction in muzzle velocity. How much I do not know.

Jim

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’ll be surprised when a factory load EVER consistently clocks the speed they claim or higher. I automatically deducts 100fps from published velocities and I’m usually damn close.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Puddle Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I've recently been grabbing MVs of the PPU factory ammo offerings in both 9.3x62mm and .375 H&H. Actuals are surprisingly quite close to the published nominals.

In 9.3 the actual MV was a hair over the published nominal. All these were from a 24" barrel.

I've also experienced this from Norma 6.5 CM and .375 H7H ammo as well.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A 40-50 fps variation is not something to get worked up about.

Have you ever owned two rifles of the same chambering? You’ll find out pretty quick they vary a little and sometimes a lot.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
216 members (358WCF, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 31 invisible), 2,192 guests, and 976 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,641
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.