A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Nice score OE!
That’s a damn early classic stainless.

I believe his is a circa 2000-ish rifle. I don’t think Classic Stainlees M70’s were made in the G30K range (IIRC they started in the 40K’s), but I’m often wrong.

I had two different Classic stainless M70 338 WM’s. None shot all that well, but both were good enough for elk. I cut all mine to 22,” and while I tested different weight bullets up to 250 gr’s, I used 210 NP’s on elk. My best shooting 338 was an early Stainless M700 ADL cut to 22”… that rifle shot like a varmint rifle with everything I fed it.

Yep, OE clarified. He is very accomplished with the photo editor. smile

I have one in the G40s but none in the 30s. I think your recollection is correct - until someone here proves us wrong! (Grin)

BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I have one in the G40s but none in the 30s. I think your recollection is correct - until someone here proves us wrong! (Grin)

Indeed - I should have read further! Like you, I had a 40K serial number from the first year they appeared with CRF. We could be wrong, and I certainly don’t trust my memory, but I don’t think they were offered in the 30K range.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Nice score OE!

I believe his is a circa 2000-ish rifle. I don’t think Classic Stainlees M70’s were made in the G30K range (IIRC they started in the 40K’s), but I’m often wrong.

I had two different Classic stainless M70 338 WM’s. None shot all that well, but both were good enough for elk. I cut all mine to 22,” and while I tested different weight bullets up to 250 gr’s, I used 210 NP’s on elk. My best shooting 338 was an early Stainless M700 ADL cut to 22”… that rifle shot like a varmint rifle with everything I fed it.

Only digit I changed on the internet for privacy purposes only was the last digit. Here is a pic of the receiver serial number.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Nice score OE!

Only digit I changed on the internet for privacy purposes only was the last digit. Here is a pic of the receiver serial number.

I get it and I routinely do the same; for the same reason. I had looked at the pic and you did such a good job I couldn’t tell!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 79S
I have a lefty model 70 in a 338 win mag. I used the go to powder with 225 AB and Hornady 225’s. Talk about frustration mess with seating depths etc still frustrating. So I pick up some 250 AB and holy Shinto talk about a different rifle. This thing loves the 250 AB so I bought more from SPS. I need to find some 250 Hornady’s SP.

J, have you tried 210 partitions? Some of the guys I used to hang out with, ran those in their classics and they loved them. One claimed 3,050 fps too. That's a pretty hot load though. They punch through elk like no bodies business though..

I was one of them. They’re awesome bullets for pounding elk. 2950-3050 pretty easy too.

I get 2900 with the 225 TSX out of a 23" barrel. Load recommend by Brian Pearce in either Rifle or Handloader, cant remember which.

I'm running 2850 with 225's now. Never did like hot rodding the 338 because it does well with heavies even at slower speeds and its easier on the shoulder that way too. Ha ha.. I'm pretty happy with the pre 64's accuracy. Pretty consistent .5-.6" 5 shot groups. I'm just running the interlock, nothing fancy, but it puts the smack down on elk..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Nice score OE!

I believe his is a circa 2000-ish rifle. I don’t think Classic Stainless M70’s were made in the G30K range (IIRC they started in the 40K’s), but I’m often wrong smile

I had two different Classic stainless M70 338 WM’s. Neither shot all that well, but were good enough for elk. I cut both to 22,” and while I tested different weight bullets up to 250 gr’s, I used 210 NP’s on elk. My best shooting 338 was an early Stainless M700 ADL cut to 22”… that rifle shot like a varmint rifle with everything I fed it.

Here’s a bull I took in Nov, 2000. It was -14*F when I started climbing in the dark. At sunrise I spotted this bull with two smaller bulls headed up a ridge to bed at a mile distant. It took me nearly three hours in deep snow to get to the ridge they were on. I guesstimated where they’d bed, and tried to get above them, planning to still hunt down to them in their beds. It worked exactly as planned, and I shot this bull in his bed at 40 yards (210 NP).

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Very nice brad. That's how you ambush them... I do the same thing when I can. Works good on turkey too.. ha ha..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Nice score OE!

Nothing wrong with a 6 digit classic either. Nice score on that one, regardless..

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Someone say five digits stainless classic in a 338

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Very nice ^^^ How does she shoot?

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Very nice ^^^ How does she shoot?

I shot it once and not very good lol.. I need to get serious and do some load development for it lol.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I had one of the first SS classics in 7 rem mag in North Florida. I bought 4 different types of ammunition for it roughly 20 boxes and it was fidgety on all of them until I had the trigger adjusted to 2 1/2 lbs and bedded the front recoil lug. Then it stopped being so finicky, temperature extremes might have been an issue as well since it was 90-100 degrees when shooting it. I lived 5 minutes from a 200 yard range . It stacked 160 grain bullets when it got all sorted out.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
AKwolverine

The 7wsm does fall in the six digit serial number range for the classic stainless model 70s as well. I have one in the safe G387xxx. They are out there.

Farmtown257

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I appreciate that data point.

That must have been darn near one of the last 6 digits to leave the factory!

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by rusty75
I’m am interested in the above rifle for an upcoming elk/mule deer hunt and have the opportunity to purchase NIB from local shop. This will be my “big rifle” as the only reason I can justify a 300 is a potential nilgai hunt where 300 magnum is minimum allowed.
The gun is $800

Any reason to avoid a classic 300wsm from a quality or feeding standpoint? Bolt cycles as smooth as I could ask for right now.
Will accuracy be acceptable without tinkering beyond a trigger job?
Is $800 a good price?

Thanks!

Not a bad price for a NIB Classic. Be prepared to bed the action and free float the barrel as well as lighten the trigger a little bit. Good thing all this can be done by you

DO IT!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ElkSnort
Originally Posted by rusty75
I’m am interested in the above rifle for an upcoming elk/mule deer hunt and have the opportunity to purchase NIB from local shop. This will be my “big rifle” as the only reason I can justify a 300 is a potential nilgai hunt where 300 magnum is minimum allowed.
The gun is $800

Any reason to avoid a classic 300wsm from a quality or feeding standpoint? Bolt cycles as smooth as I could ask for right now.
Will accuracy be acceptable without tinkering beyond a trigger job?
Is $800 a good price?

Thanks!

Not a bad price for a NIB Classic. Be prepared to bed the action and free float the barrel as well as lighten the trigger a little bit. Good thing all this can be done by you

DO IT!

I agree, and please don't just bed the recoil lug when you glass bed it. There's a reason we say "properly" glass bed. I had to recently fix one that was not properly glass bedded by the original owner. He only bed the recoil lug and not the tang. It did not shoot to its full potential. Good thing some things are easy to fix and do proper.

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
In the classic stainless the 300 wsm could also be a 6 digit. I’ve seen a handful. Have seen exactly one 6 digit 270 wsm; and zero 6 digit 7 wsm’s.

Found this one in the back of the safe. Make that two now.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
^veddy nice!

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Well there is another Winchester Model 70 Classic SS WSM posted on Gunbroker. No affiliation, just posting as a reference.
SS Classic WSM

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by lynntelk
Well there is another Winchester Model 70 Classic SS WSM posted on Gunbroker. No affiliation, just posting as a reference.
SS Classic WSM

Very nice. Someone didn't like shooting that one.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/950583656

This one’s likely a better deal if you value the Zeiss at $450.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
644 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 257 mag, 71 invisible), 2,768 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,130
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.