Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Does anyone have experience hunting out of a Cabela's Ultimate Alaknak tent? Or similar tent.....

Are tents damp, hard to heat during winter? Do they hold up to wind and rain well?

Share your overall experiences hunting out of a tent. I'd love to know because a couple of friends are wanting to buy one to hunt out of in Alabama this deer season.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
You must be from Florida. grin I don't know about that particular tent but there will be several answers to each question. They can be damp but usually not. They can be heated ok but they won't hold any heat when the heater is turned off or the stove burns out. If you use a propane heater, it will leave lots of condensation on the tent. A good wood stove will keep it nice and dry.
Since you're talking AL, that's a lot different from ID or MT. How cold does it get there during hunting season? If you just need a heater to take the chill off, a Big Buddy heater will work fine. If it's below freezing, I highly recommend a wood stove. It'll be a lot more comfortable although it's more work to keep it fed.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Yep, from Florida.

I appreciate the input very much!

Liberalism is a cancer
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I was a lot younger I slep on the ground near the camp fire. Also spent several nights in the bed of a pickup.
A tent for me was a big step up. Spent several hunting seasons sleeping in tents. Set up permanent in camp. You can make it work. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
Does anyone have experience hunting out of a Cabela's Ultimate Alaknak tent? Or similar tent.....

Are tents damp, hard to heat during winter? Do they hold up to wind and rain well?

Share your overall experiences hunting out of a tent. I'd love to know because a couple of friends are wanting to buy one to hunt out of in Alabama this deer season.

I prefer trucks with camper shells for sleeping in more urbanized areas. If you have to hump it in, then it doesn't matter what they are or aren't, it's your best choice.

Last edited by Jon_In_Va; 04/09/22.
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I was hunting in Montana by myself. In a cotton canvas tent made by Kodiak Canvas. Some other hunters showed up and set up camp right on top of me... three of those monster Cabela's Ultimate Alaknak tents... I was ok with it because I really didn't want them to be camped all over the landscape... so I was cool with it. I would get back at night and drop by over by their camp fire to ask how they did every day.... there were like 9-10 guys that made up that camp.

None of those guys really liked their tent. It would not hold heat and was cold.

In defense of that tent, it is big and roomy. There is a lot of cubic feet inside that needs to be warmed up. You need a really big heat source to heat all those cubic feet.

I once had a 12X14 canvas wall tent... i got rid of it because I just could not get enough BTU's to get it nice and warm. But, I hunt in cold weather... anywhere from -5 to 45 degrees

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tent camped with Cabelas dome, Northface domes, and wall tents for 50+ seasons. A Coleman lantern will warm up the smaller domes, and a small wood stove the wall tents. Never had any dampness issues (and it can flat out rain for days in Alsaka), but all of the domes had excellent rain flys installed and a form fitted plastic floor liner placed on the inside. Typically use the wall tents when outings are 7 to 14+ day events with two or more hunters/fishermen.

I prefer tent camping to the use of our 26 ft Winnebago Minnie travel trailer. The trailer's like living at home with all the attending chores and constant cleanup of the interior.

In this camp we sleep in the trailer solely because that's where the bed is. All of the waking hours, cooking, and entertaining of up to 6 or 7 visitors takes place in the wood stove - Coleman lantern - 3 burner propane equipped wall tent. If the trailer stays at home, we will take a dome tent for sleeping quarters. On pack in trips we'll sleep up to 4 in the wall tent, but gear has to be rolled/stowed for day use activities. We will cook on the wood stove on those trips.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

We have kept the wall tent comfortable down to about -25° with plenty of room to hang gear that's gotten wet or damp. This setup gets about a month's worth of use each fall from mid Oct to near mid Nov. We tarp the wall tent if there's potential for significant snow. Heavy accumulations will not slide off canvas and can collapse an unattended camp. The addition of the plastic tarp lets the snow slip.

A buddy has one of the Alaknak tents, and we typically use it solely for sleeping. My wall tent will be off to the side for most of the daily camp functions. My sole criticism of the Alacknak is the integrated floor. One can't charge back in with wet, snow covered or muddy boots if he forgets some item. The wall tent (below images) has no floor, so spilled coffee, tossed peanut shells, dropped food, sawdust/bark from firewood, lawn chair/sleeping cot/or wood stove coasters are not needed, and muddy boots are non-issues. The wall tent also goes up and down a lot quicker with an internal frame.

The con to not having an integrated floor is that a raiding raccoon/skunk can slip beneath the edge of the wall tent and toss the place. Coons will climb everwhere/everything, tip over, and try every container/cooler.

Skunks are neat and quiet and pretty much confine their rummaging to what's on the ground.

Bear will ignore an open door, rip open a side for entry, and add another rip to the back as an exit.

Where shooting the little beasties in not allowed (like tended campgrounds), the edibles have to be stowed in critter proof tubs. Around most hunting camps, a 38 slug can rectify that issue if one can catch them on the way in.

Last edited by 1minute; 04/10/22.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They are a terrific way to get away from other hunters on public land. Out west then yeah, more guys with a larger tent and a wood stove. My philosophy of getting a good buck on public land is to do what other hunters are not doing. A small tent in a WI. deer season is kind of chilly, but I shot nice bucks when ever I did that. Get a very good sleeping bag.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by 1minute
Tent camped with Cabelas dome, Northface domes, and wall tents for 50+ seasons. A Coleman lantern will warm up the smaller domes, and a small wood stove the wall tents. Never had any dampness issues (and it can flat out rain for days in Alsaka), but all of the domes had excellent rain flys installed and a form fitted plastic floor liner placed on the inside. Typically use the wall tents when outings are 7 to 14+ day events with two or more hunters/fishermen.

I prefer tent camping to the use of our 26 ft Winnebago Minnie travel trailer. It's like living at home with all the attending chores and constant cleanup of the interior.

In this camp we sleep in the trailer because that's where the bed is. All of the waking hours, cooking, and entertaining of up to 6 or 7 visitors takes place in the wood stove equipped wall tent.

We have kept the tent comfortable down to about -25°. This setup gets about a month's worth of use each fall from mid Oct to near mid Nov. We tarp the wall tent if there's potential for significant snow. Heavy accumulations will not slide off of canvas and can collapse an unattended camp. The addition of the plastic tarp lets the snow slide off.

Cool picture!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
On the pic - Thanks. That's Cookie's camp for her mule deer photo run during the rut each fall. If a doe will come in, the bucks will follow. Last year, I was off helping a deer hunting friend for two weeks with my two-man dome tent and the car while she lived the high life with all the gear and an F350 crew cab While hunting, we did not see any equivalents or shoot anything.

Last edited by 1minute; 04/10/22.

1Minute
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We've been using a Sportman's Guide Gear 10x12' Canvas Wall Tent, for the last 7 or 8 years during Missouri's rifle deer season in mid-November. Temperature ranges have been from below zero to high 40's. Wind, rain, snow - it's held up well to all weather (never experienced any "dampness").

We sleep 4 in it, with a small wood stove, and let me tell you, it gets hotter than a Turkish sauna in there. laugh

The Cabela's bunk beds are great.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I am not familiar with Alabama weather during deer season, the temperatures or how much rain? Any possibility of snow?

Most quality tents will come with a rainfly to help waterproof the inside. Spray the seams with a waterproofing spray which will help. With smaller tents a propane heater with adequate ventilation can be run before bed and when you first wake up to take the chill out of the air. I dont run those all night so make sure you have a good bag. Along those lines, I find a good cot way better than sleeping on the ground, both methods using a pad.

If several of you will be hunting together out of one tent, consider a canvas wall tent. We get carpet remnants to use as our floor, except for the entry and area of the wood burning stove. Buy a larger size than you think you will need, 4 guys and gear takes up a lot of room. We tarp the roof with overhangs on the sides to help cover our firewood.

A good wood stove will blow you out of there with warmth. With ours, we made a grate out of expanded metal above the floor of the stove a bit, and when preparing for sleep, we throw several chunks of coal into the stove. The coal burns slow and puts out heat, so in the morning it is still warm and easier to stoke up for morning warmth and coffee.

A good canvas wall tent properly set up makes for a very comfortable place to stay and is my choice.

Regards,
Manny

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The newer Cabelas tents are not the same quality as in years past. A nice wall tent would probably serve you better or a Kodiak canvas tent.
A wall tent with a rain fly and some extra side walls, we hang canvas drop cloths along the walls, will hold in heat pretty well.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
My Alaknak was set up and used for the fall bow season. Left it up and waited for rifle. A few days before the opener it deposited feet of snow in the mountains. The tent collapsed from the weight. bending the center poles inside and half of the side poles. it took up a couple of days to even get to it to dig it out. Tent was ripped in multiple places where it hit the equipment inside. cots, stove, table... Cut the top off and salvaged the bottom and foot print for tarps. Don't trust the aluminum poles. I had a10x12 wall tent in another meadow a few miles away the survived. It took two more days to get to it. log pole frame.

If you hunt with your kids. You should not have to hunt for your kids.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If you want to use a wood stove in a tent with a floor, do some searching for Nomex fabric. They make stuff like welding shirts out of it. A piece of it under the stove will protect the floor without having to cut hole in it.

― George Orwell

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
If you're able to drive to where you're going to camp, skip the alaknak tent and any other nylon tent.

A big canvas will last much longer and be warmer. Cover the roof w/a heavy tarp and use a big woodstove, have your firewood precut.

FYI western/northern folks, it can get deathly cold in the deep south, 25* and windy along with high humidity = COLD. The type cold that you can't seem to get warm in, or it could be 80*.

Nice set-up Skeen, it does appear those bunkbeds would work well.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
After several years of using a wall tent for gun deer hunting in Wisconsin and ID, MT and Wy, I use a different style tent for bow hunting in those states. Typically, I experience milder weather during bow season and like adjustable ventilation, bug screening and sewn in floor.

A 10x10 Kodiak Canvas tent and a propane heater with 20# tank has been working for me.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

T
TCK Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Started with nylon type dome tents, stepped up to pop up camper, now use a Kodiak canvas tent for last 20 years.
Propane lantern or buddy heater for warm when needed.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks for the input guys!

Liberalism is a cancer
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Finally moved out of a tent for hunting/living in when I turned 60. I spent 3 years living in a wall tent in N. WI and ran traplines all over WI and MN in a wall tent. Catalytic heaters are damp but fine for a day or two. Any extended stays a vented propane heater, wood stove or even a fuel oil space heater(everything smells like fuel oil as you have to fill the tank inside) work well, I've used them all. One thing nice about propane and fuel oil you don't have to get up in the night and add wood to the stove.

Last edited by erich; 04/11/22.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by erich
Finally moved out of a tent for hunting/living in when I turned 60. I spent 3 years living in a wall tent in N. WI and ran traplines all over WI and MN in a wall tent. Catalytic heaters are damp but fine for a day or two. Any extended stays a vented propane heater, wood stove or even a fuel oil space heater(everything smells like fuel oil as you have to fill the tank inside) work well, I've used them all. One thing nice about propane and fuel oil you don't have to get up in the night and add wood to the stove.
My Big Buddy heater will keep a fairly large tent warm but it sure wets down the walls. Is there a good vented propane tent heater?

― George Orwell

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
Dixie_Rebel,

My group hunted out of a 14x17 canvas wall tent here in Virginia for many years and we enjoyed the time there camping with the kids and grandkids. Now the one we used had a sewn-in floor and it was a pain in the assss to put up but as "1minute" posted a tent without a floor will be very hard to keep the critters out of. My vision of Alabama is that it is infested with critters, from snakes ( I hate snakes) to alligators, so if that is a concern to you a sewn-in floor is a good idea. Just be aware of how difficult they are to put up.

As far as heat a wood stove works best because as others have mentioned the condensation from gas heaters is a problem. All tent will be warmer than you want when wood stove is burning and cold shortly after the fire dies. I am sure the climate in Alabama is warmer than here in Virginia so I don't know how much of a problem heat would be.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Slightly off topic, but Ive found this helpful when tent camping.

Regarding adding wood to the stove in the middle of the night, we have a rule: If you get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, check the stove and add if needed. It also helps when one guy gets up to go, everyone gets up and goes at the same time. This prevents multiple people getting up at different times throughout the night which makes for a restless night.

At my age, and with who I tent camp with, there is always someone who needs to get up at some point during the night. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Manny

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mannyspd1
Slightly off topic, but Ive found this helpful when tent camping.

Regarding adding wood to the stove in the middle of the night, we have a rule: If you get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, check the stove and add if needed. It also helps when one guy gets up to go, everyone gets up and goes at the same time. This prevents multiple people getting up at different times throughout the night which makes for a restless night.

At my age, and with who I tent camp with, there is always someone who needs to get up at some point during the night. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Manny
Good idea but when it's cold I'm not getting out of that bed unless I have to.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I say Yay…once! Tent hunting by yourself or with a group of buddies is definitely an “experience”. After freezing and sweating parts off in the military in tents or on the ground, I find myself wanting less “experience” and more comfort. I always say “suffering builds character”. The last tent elk hunt I went on was very good for character building. Good luck, be safe, have fun…and if it’s a blast for you, keep on doing it.

Doc_Holidude

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Doc_Holidude
I say Yay…once! Tent hunting by yourself or with a group of buddies is definitely an “experience”. After freezing and sweating parts off in the military in tents or on the ground, I find myself wanting less “experience” and more comfort. I always say “suffering builds character”. The last tent elk hunt I went on was very good for character building. Good luck, be safe, have fun…and if it’s a blast for you, keep on doing it.

Doc_Holidude

😊👍

Liberalism is a cancer
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
One trick with a wood stove is to make sure your partner has an extra cup of tea at bed time, and then remind him to stoke the stove when he gets up a few hours later!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

We've hunted out of ours for the last 10 years in Kentucky using a medium sized Cylinder stove to heat it. With the dry heat of the stove we have zero condensation problems. It usually requires one stoking a night if temps are in the 30s. We set up a shelter on one end with the kitchen. It's held up just fine in some heavy winds but we are starting to see some small leaks. I guess due to cinders maybe that escaped the stove pipe.

With cots and the stoves it makes a very comfortable camp and all in all very pleased.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M

[/quote]Good idea but when it's cold I'm not getting out of that bed unless I have to.
[/quote]

Lol Understood!
Manny

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Dixie Rebel:

The Cabelas Alanak tent is way down on my list for tents. The only good thing I can say about it is that it's cheap compared to a canvas wall tent. In almost any environment one can expect condensation on the inside of the waterproof single walls unless they are heated with a wood stove. They have no floor and they do have a hole (stove jack) for the exhaust pipe from a wood burning stove. I would not try to heat one with a Buddy Heater, which would almost certainly create lots of condensation. You haven't lived until you wake up in the morning and your sleeping bag is soaking wet from dripping condensation.

Tell your buddies to spend the money and get a canvas wall tent. It's cheaper to buy the best the first time around.

I suppose that they can buy an Alanak tent now, experience how miserable one is and then use it for storage after they buy a better tent.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KC

They have no floor and they do have a hole (stove jack) for the exhaust pipe from a wood burning stove.

Maybe they have changed but ours has a floor as well as a floor liner including a zip out section where the wood stove goes.

A plus over a canvas tent (and I considered both) is the Alanak is much lighter and requires less storage space and requires less care than any canvas tent I found.

In KY during deer season we often have mid-day temps in the 60's and it's nice to be able to open both ends plus the windows if you're looking to take a midday nap out of the sun. With the OP in AL that might be a factor.

Of course, YMMV depending on climate and other factors but writing it off in general seems to be shortsighted.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Hey Dixie_Rebel I ran across this guys videos a while back. You might get some good insight on tent camping by watching them. Some good advice coming on your thread too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdS4SOfc_Gk

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Your needs in Alabama are going to much different than Colorado. You're more likely to need AC than heat during most of Alabama's season. All of it unless you live near the Tennessee border. The heat given off from a Coleman lantern will keep the inside of your tent warm enough for your needs. Once in the sleeping bag and lights out you won't need any heat. Light the lantern and give it 10 minutes or so before you get out of the sleeping bag and you'll be fine. The Fall is still Hurricane season in the SE. You might seriously consider a small AC unit sitting on a milk crate aimed into the tent and run it off of a generator for part of each night.

I've camped in canvas tents, nylon, back of the truck, pop-up's and travel trailers while hunting. What is best depends on a lot of factors. If you're going to be in one spot for a week or more then it is worth it to set up an elaborate camp. Otherwise a small tent and cold food or backpacking food is a lot easier.

The size of the party matters too. A 6 man nylon tent is about right for 2 people to sleep. You have room to stand and get dressed and a little room to move around. Virtually all of our meals and eating are done outside. A large tarp over the table and cooking area will keep you dry if it rains and provide shade.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Yeah, back in the day. Today, nope. Outside Leadville Colorado.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Built a shack on the first few places I hunted, usually 8’x20’. I could get wood and plywood off construction jobs for nothing. I had one shack for 25 years. This is the last one I built, slept in it for ten years. It’s in Polk county still.

Last edited by hanco; 04/13/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've spent a fair amount of time in various tents - backpacking to canvas in more than a few states. 20 degree temps and high humidity does make it feel colder but your not going to freeze to death. I normally camp 3-10 nights in TN during our Nov-Dec deer season and find it rather enjoyable. Buy good clothes, a true coldweather sleeping bag, and some kind of space heater and you'll be fine.

A trick I use across the country - 20,000 btu Camp Chef stove and a propane cylinder. In the AM or return in PM, turn on both burners on high, wait 5 minutes, it will be tee-shirt weather inside. I know about the oxygen issues for prolonged use without venting.......don't leave it run forever. I've done this at below zero a number of times. Works like a charm. The other option has been a Little Buddy heater. Most come with an oxygen sensor and will shut off if oxygen levels get low. I NEVER run a non-vented stove at night - a good sleeping bag alleviates the need.

I've never slept in an Alakanak but have slept in various other spacious nylon tents. Not a fan. They are light, roomy, but very prone to punctures, burn holes, and water leaks. I'd buy a Kodiak tent. I have 2, an 8x10 and 10x14. Compared to a true frame supported canvas outfitter tent, I find the Kodiak a bit smaller despite their stated size. 2 people max in the 8x10 and 3 in the 10x14. We tend to sleep in one and eat/hang out in the other. Canvas is where it's at for comfort.

I'd also offer: buy an Alps Escalade cot and find/buy a piece of memory foam. My cot setup is almost as comfortable as my bed at home. Plus the Alps is tall enough to store stuff under the cot.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by hanco
Built a shack on the first few places I hunted, usually 8’x20’. I could get wood and plywood off construction jobs for nothing. I had one shack for 25 years. This is the last one I built, slept in it for ten years. It’s in Polk county still.

Nice camp.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

There is nothing like a good wall tent when you are hunting. There is nothing compact about a wall tent, but with the right gear, they can't be beat. Cots and a portable kitchen stand makes it like home. A propane 250,000 BTU heater will heat it up in seconds.

Who is the guy on the left???

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
3 of us hunted Caribou on the N Slope of AK in late Aug about a decade ago. Temps were high 30's to low 40's at night and upper 50's low 60's during the day. My only real suggestion would be a 2nd tent to hang gear in. 3 people sleeping in a tent puts out a lot of humidity. We didn't have any manner of heater, just sleeping pads and sleeping bags.

If going someplace I could drive and didn't have to carry everything, I'd definitely have a "gear tent" and a "Sleeping Tent".

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
We hunted out of a tent the first 4 years In Wyoming. I was fun then 20 years ago. Now we take the trailer. Ya I know,sissies. 73 now !

Last edited by Whelenman; 04/13/22.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Regarding adding wood to the stove in the middle of the night

I have several good sleeping bags, and life remains fine when our wood stove extinguishes in the middle of the night. I sleep better in cool environments anyway and will usually go to an unheated tent for the night. The 12 x 14 is toasty 5 minutes after I rise and light things up in the morning. Fire up a lantern, put on the coffee, light the stove, and then open the front door to cool things off as we begin cooking.

Last edited by 1minute; 04/13/22.

1Minute
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Whelenman
We hunted out of a tent the first 4 years In Wyoming. I was fun then 20 years ago. Now we take the trailer. Ya I know,sissies. 73 now !

Yep. Have a camper now.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Trailer for deer camp, wall tent for elk camp. Trailers can't get to our elk camp area, or I would take it elk hunting also. I did find a 40 inch wide, six inch thick foam mattress. It makes tent sleeping rather comfortable! At 72 the ground is miserable to sleep on! Wood stove is the only way to go. Camped at 17 below for a week, in 2017! No other heat source would have kept us warm. It wasn't a great hunt, but it was better than being home.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
When you think you have your whole camping kit collected.... which should be way ahead of time....

put it all together and drive a short way to some campground place and set what you brought...do 2 or 3 days just to see if you forgot something.... or if changes are needed

Sort of a practice run. Might be worth a lot during hunting season.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If you tent camp from a vehicle a lot you can really cut down on forgotten stuff. I bought a huge fishing tackle bag, the biggest Cabelas had. I bought everything for a kitchen and it went in the bag. After 1 trip, I had to make a couple minor changes but since then the bag hasn't miss a beat. It's all there, including a couple dish pans that fold flat. I also added a pen and note pad to write down anything that needs replenishing like salt or spray oil.
It's always packed and ready to go.

nesting pans, cutting board, knives, dinnerware, spatulas, bowls, spices, folding dish pans, soap, towels. matches, French press, coffee, etc

― George Orwell

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I went the wall tent route. I camped for 10 days in November in the Adirondack Mountains. With the wood stove, cot, pad, and big Cabelas 0 degree Outfitter rectangle bag, I was super comfortable. All the comforts of home in the middle of the wilderness. The big downfall is the weight and bulk of the tent. The whole thing must weigh in the neighborhood of 300 pounds. This is a 12x14 tent with 5’ walls. I went the route of using 1” electrical conduit for the frame, also the 8’ front porch, and rain flys in both. The wood stove is an addition 100 pounds. It’s a real workout setting everything up by yourself. It’s doable, and gets easier every time, but it’s not easy.
I really like the looks of the Kodiak tents, and am second guessing the route I went. They appear much lighter and less bulky. But I have a lot invested in my set up, and the comfort is really second to none.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I have two tents for hunting, the first is is a Springbar, 100% USA made canvas tent, I hunt solo a lot of times so it's only 10x10, easy to set up, outstanding quality, it's canvas so you don't get the sweating you do with nylon tens, it's quite warm. The second is a 5 man squad tent, it's a five sided insulated tent with stove jack, this tent does not have a floor, I usually use straw to cover the floor, when I hunt with my son-in-law there is a lumber yard nearby and we get a load of sawdust for the floor. it's a very warm tent, it's 13 ft in diameter and is easily set up by one man with only a center pole, it's a military tent so no frills, no windows, one door, but it's insulated and very easy to keep warm and actually quite light for it's size. Kodiak makes a good knock off of the Springbar but I prefer my gear to say made in USA, not by some freedom hating commie bastard. We spend a full day setting up, cutting wood, hauling water, if done right it's a great experience and in my opinion, the best way to hunt. As for light, I prefer the old Coleman gas lanterns, they are much better than any propane lantern, they'll burn all night on a tank of fuel and can be used with white gas or regular gasoline and will last for years, my lanterns range in age for 1952-1974, for cooking I use the Coleman sportsman 502, small and reliable. If I had to have only one tent for hunting it would be the 5 man squad tent, the only down side is not having a floor, but then there is no floor to rip but it requires clearing the ground before setting up.
These can be found on military surplus sights for $6-900 make sure you get an insulated one, you won't be sorry, I have been doing this for over 30 years and have it down to a science as far as set up and minimal gear to have a great experience. And find a good container for your tent and remember canvas tents have 3 enemies, mildew, ants, and mice NEVER NEVER EVER store it damp. The squad tent is really nice if it gets wet, as soon as I get home I just hook a rope in the center of the roof where the pole comes out, hang it in my garage and it dries in no time. Any questions feel free to ask

Last edited by Royalwulff; 04/16/22. Reason: Forgot a
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Alabama? I think winter down there I would just sleep in a hammock... Lol I missed that when I read your post I would go with a Kodiak or a Springbar before a Cabela's. The Springbar are second to none, but pricey, as I said before, I love my squad tent, warmest of any tent out there by far, no need to use the stove jack, a little buddy heater will run you right out of there because it's insulated. I think the actual name is the M-1950 5 man artic tent.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So I was googling around looking at wall tents this morning, and noticed the Cabela's Alaknak 10'x10' is on sale for $599.

After watching some videos and reading reviews on the Alaknak, all in all, for Alabama tent hunting, I'd think this tent is a good choice and a good price.

Heck, I'm tempted to give one a try at that price. grin

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-ultimate-alaknak-10x10-outfitter-tent

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've tent hunted for quite a few years. First and foremost, I'd recommend a good wall tent. We have a 14 x 16 Davis Tent. Top notch tent and company. I also have a Kodiak Cabin for quick weekend trips. Both have served me well in some pretty bad weather. I used a wood stove (old pot belly) in the wall tent and a Big Buddy in the Kodiak. For the wall tent, there are grommets that you drive 12" timber spikes into the ground to secure it. We put an old tarp down then an outdoor type carpet on top for the floor. Great way to hunt, probably my favorite.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I'm sure you work hard for your money, my advice is to not spend it on this tent, spend it on a Kodiak or a Springbar and you won't regret it, I garauntee it's nothing near the quality of the two brands I mentioned I have camped in tents for 50 years, I have never stayed in a camper or a campground, always in the woods. First, canvas tents are the best, proper care and you can get 30 years out of one, second is ease of setup, the Springbar and the Kodiak Flex-bow are extremely easy and fast to set up, the Cabela's looks much more time consuming, third is quality, I didn't read the reviews but I read the specs and it's clear it's no match.
a big big point for me, and why I chose Springbar we're the stake loops ( a common fail point on tents) are made of stainless steel, but even more unique is the stake loops are hooked to a rope that is sewn into the edge of the tent, so when there is pressure on the loops it's on the rope and not directly pulling on the tent material, as opposed to stake loops that are just seen to the tent material, Kodiak has since incorporated this into their tents, you will play absolute hell trying to rip that design. Kodiak did not have that feature which is the reason I went with Springbar. Both tents set up the same way and they are unique in that way also. The Kodiak Flex-bow doesn't offer a stove jack which wouldn't be a problem camping in Alabama, the Kodiak cabin tent does come stove ready, the slight difference in price in exchange for the quality makes it a no-brainer in my opinion. Before you decide I would compare the features and material against the Cabela's tent. Also the Cabela's tent I believe has a rain fly...pain in the ***, the cava's tent will keep you warm and dry for sure. Good luck in whatever choice you make, I just want to give you my thoughts.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
when i was young always yay , now that i am almost 69 its nay unless i have a dry tent with plastic on floor , heat , a cot and no snow then its yay

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Most big game seasons I'll tent for 3-4 nights a time or two with my wife or a friend in a 10X10 Cabelas "spike" tent with one central pole. It sets fast, has a floor, and handles rain, snow and wind, which invariably arrives sometime during the outings. A big winter bison hide on the floor makes it luxurious! I never heat it, but there is enough room for folding chairs to cook in it for quick meals or a pot of coffee water. "Hot Hand" chemical packs make boots and gloves fantastically warmer. However, the last time I elk hunted from it at elevation, I did get a touch of frostbite after sleeping one night in fingerless gloves... fingers peeled for days. It is nice to get out of the roads for a couple days, really dials me into the game much better than can be gotten from a loud vehicle, and; usually gets me afield an hour or two earlier than anybody arriving afield via wheels.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Means to an end. If where I want to hunt is too far to reasonably hike in and out every day, hike in camp and sleep in a tent.

Not rocket science. Get a good tent, pad, and bag.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

I've been using a 12x12 Alaknak since 2009 but I bought it for $550 and I don't know if I would be willing to pay what they are charging today. With a good stove it's a really nice tent and has held up to snow and wind but we did have some condensation problems on the days it snowed.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Where applicable! If it’s a hunt that requires it……certainly. If not….I’ll take my warm, dry camper, enjoy a hot shower every few days and watch the “idiot box” whenever I want!

Though, tent camping will often leave you with lifelong memories! Such as the North Louisiana, December deer hunt with my uncle. High winds driving the rain through the “treated” canvas tent and hearing 2 tornados pass nearby during the night!
Ah, the memories! Though, even while we didn’t get a deer ….I did have a good outing with my (now passed) uncle!

My wife fondly remembers one of her early hunts during her previous marriage…..when the tent collapsed beneath a heavy, wet Wyoming snowfall! Ah, the memories! 🤪 memtb

Last edited by memtb; 04/17/22.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I have the 12x20 Alaknak and other than the condensation even with a wood stove I was happy with it. Has withstood high wind and rain and been dry . I have a 10x12 canvas wall tent and use it more than the bigger tent since it's usually only two of us in camp.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’d be more worried about humidity than anything else.

I’ve been into the canvas wall tent/miner tent/baker tent scene for 30 years. Hunted & fished about everything using them as a basecamp or family camp. They are ideal under most circumstances but have obvious drawbacks like general bulk, mildew & possible fire/ash damage when stoves are in the mix.

Never used a Cabelas Alaknak - maybe they are awesome - maybe not but tents for hunting are pretty much a staple in my world.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I used to have 16x20 Davis wall tent only problem it was usually just my brother and I hunting and hard to keep warm with a wide stove. Sold it and bought an 8x10 awesome set up for 2 hunters. Bought another one if a couple more people decide to go. I would trust that set up on December & January hunts

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have spent a few nights in tents and hunting. Spend the money and buy a good one. I have experienced waking up soaking wet and the tent down on top of me in a thunderstorm in a cheap tent. One time my rifle was underwater and the water had made it to the top of my air mattress. in another cheap tent.
Neither was fun and ruined my trips. Listen to recommendations that agree on quality and go with that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I spent probably 25 years hunting deer out of a military GP Small tent. I don’t remember anything but good out of those experiences, especially if I trenched in the sidewall flaps and had a good heater. Fun times until I got older, then we built a small cabin to sleep in. That worked well until I got even older (78), now I just sleep in my own bed and drive to my hunting site. My how times have changed. But I wouldn’t take anything for the memories of our hunting trips out of a tent. There is nothing like it!

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

It rains a lot in AL during the hunting season. Nov not too bad but December, January and early Feb are wet as heck. Tent camping is ok but if its wet ,no thanks.

Last edited by Boarmaster123; 04/19/22.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
A canvas wall tent with a rain fly and wood stove will keep you warm and dry in very rainy weather. Just don’t pitch the tent in a low spot or your gear could be floating when you wake up!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Just as a hint: If you use a waterproof ground cloth under the tent, whether it has a floor or not, fold the excess back under or run it up the inside of the walls. Don't let any part of it stick out beyond the sides of the tent. Rain will run off the tent on onto the ground cloth where it will then run under the tent and puddle up. It will keep water in, not out.

― George Orwell

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
This is my second year using an Alaknak 12x12 with a wood stove, and each trip was a little under 5 days at a time. I don’t think I’d bother setting it up unless the stay was that long at minimum. I don’t have any experience with canvas tents, but I’m sure they’re great. We have lots of critters that crawl and bite here, so I like a floor in my tent.

It rained a lot during each trip, and the only water issue was because the low end of our campsite allowed water to run into one corner. Lesson learned on finding a better draining campsite, as that’s an easy fix.

Before that, I’d only used dome tents, so this was a step up. If it’s gonna dip into the 20’s or below, I’ll never leave my wood stove behind again. The wood stove works great without condensation and plenty of warmth. Other heaters just didn’t do the job well for us. Any friends who don’t like to sleep slightly warm can pitch their own tents accordingly from now on. I don’t blame them one bit, but if I wanted to sleep cold, I’d just put my cot under a pop up canopy. It’d be about the same as not having a good wood stove.

My opinion about the Alaknak might change after a few more seasons, but I ain’t complaining much so far.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by lastround

But I wouldn’t take anything for the memories of our hunting trips out of a tent. There is nothing like it!

Ain't that the truth...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

FYI western/northern folks, it can get deathly cold in the deep south, 25* and windy along with high humidity = COLD. The type cold that you can't seem to get warm in, or it could be 80*.

Haha haha you call 25 degrees COLD HAHAHA
TRY 7-15 below zero with a 10-15 moh wind like we get here in Montana THATS COLD you can't get enough heat to warm up
25, degrees here we just use a heavier sleeping bag

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'll stick with our lance 1175 slide in truck camper all the comforts of home and portable to

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've done it a lot in Alabama in temps from. Uncomfortably hot to low teens. Tents from a Walmart special to a canvas wall tent with wood stove. The better your tent the more enjoyable it will be.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A tent on a hunting trip caused a total lifestyle change for my parents. Dad and I got soaked in an old umbrella tent on a weekend of solid rain. It started leaking and Dad put a tarp over it. Water started coming under it and we quit 'hunting' and went home. Dad said screw this and built a cheap plywood camper on our '49 F100. A decade later, that morphed from cheap plywood, though several molts where it emerged as a store bought pickup shell, then a real truck camper, then through stages of camp trailers. It eventually reached motorhome size and my parents retired to be RVers. It all started with that tent.

― George Orwell

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I vote "Yay."

My dad, brother and I (age 17) deer hunted out of a homemade canvas wall tent in 1978 in the Catskill Mountains (south side of the Pepacton Reservoir, NY state). It was great experience.

My dad belonged to a hunting club in the area (nothing posh or high brow about it) . A simple cabin (on stilts) the members built from essentially scrap lumber in the 1960's. Running water, electricity, wood stove, propane cook stove, outhouse. It burned down in 1977.

My dad made a canvas wall tent, no larger than ~10 ft x 10 ft. Old propane heater for heat. Coleman stove under a fly outside the tent for cooking. Kerosene lantern for light ( and a couple of flashlights). Brought in 5 gallon jugs of water. Hunted for 4 days Thanksgiving week. Saw only does, but did not have a doe permit, so nothing was tagged.

It was cold, not "Montana cold." Highs in the 20's, , low teens(?) at night . About 4" of snow on the ground. We were warm enough in the tent with sleeping bags on GI cots. Food was good and hearty (nothing fancy or deluxe). The time spent with my dad and my brother was priceless-and feels like it happened last year.

Dad used his Savage 99 ( 300 Savage, with a 3x Leupold), and my brother and I used Marlin 336A rifles (30-30 with 4x Weavers). We still have the Marlins. My brother still has our dad's Savage 99.

Hope you decide to go tent hunting and fully enjoy the experience. I'd do it again in a heart beat if I could get my dad back- so would my brother.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
711 members (10Glocks, 11point, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 160user, 91 invisible), 2,720 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,872
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.