Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Memories are a byproduct for me. It can be part of it. But that's not why I go.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by deflave
Rifles and gear become part of the memories.

My family and friends know and comment on the guns we've been most successful with and that's what turns them into heirlooms or keepsakes and more than just a firearm, knife, or holster.

The notion of grabbing a rifle to "make a memory" while butt fugking the mountainside all by yourself is for LOSERS.

Flave is a WINNER!

You are actually brilliant.

Yes he is . I don't even know how to butt fugk a mountainside.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Hunting and killing are two separate actions. You can hunt without killing and kill without hunting.

Kent

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
why i hunt ? that is a weird question for a country boy born and raised on a farm in a rural area with uncles who worked at a ammo factory and gave and sold me and brother 22 LR ammo 500 in box every week., brother and i shot birds , glass bottles , critters ,frogs, turtles , fish what ever but our favorite time is when dad haul junk to the dump and we shot lots of rats , dad knew we would clean up yard and farm area if we could go shoot rats tell dark when we went there. so as for as making memories i have just always hunted or fished had girl friends who never understood that about me going hunting or fishing
instead of always being with them , but my wife Blondie did her dad and brothers were the same way too . i guess i never understood town or city people but glad they just stayed away and out of the lakes, rivers , swamps and woods where i was ,still glad its quiet and very few people around out here in the rural area i live. my memories is living away from people out in the rural country where you can shoot a gun or piss by a tree any day any time .

Last edited by pete53; 04/09/22.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by smokepole

My family and friends know and comment on the guns we've been most successful with and that's what turns them into heirlooms or keepsakes and more than just a firearm, knife, or holster.

The notion of grabbing a rifle to "make a memory" while butt fugking the mountainside all by yourself is for LOSERS.

Flave is a WINNER!

Sit on a cactus and get back to us. laugh

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by smokepole

Flave is a WINNER!

Sit on a cactus and get back to us. laugh

Sit on a cactus? Is that why they call him fireballz.?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
God or evolution produced two kinds of critters basically. Predators and prey. The predators have eyes on the front of their heads to give them binocular vision to better calculate how far they are from a potential prey and to calculate their moves to capture and eat the prey. Predators include canines, felines, bears and humans. Prey are ungulates like deer, moose, elk, horses, cattle, etc. They have eyes on the sides of their heads to give them a greater field of view to watch for a predator trying to creep up on them.
It's a natural instinct for humans to hunt unless they have been programed to be wusses. Women are less likely to be inclined to hunt because of their inclination to nurture their offspring. But there are many exceptions to this both human and animal. A good animal example is the female African lion. She's the hunter while the male lays around waiting for sex and food from the female. In a self-sufficient area like here in Wyoming women are much more likely to be hunters than in less self-sufficient and heavily populated areas.
I hunt because I'm motivated to go out and procure my own food. Most of the meat I eat is game meat and I have some trophies hanging on the wall. I also enjoy the camaraderie of the people I have hunted with (memories of friends and relatives departed) and the people I hunt with now. The experiences and people I've hunted with the last few years are the most vivid of my memories of the recent past.
We are predators. If the Democrats and other left wing Fascists and their misguided useful idiots don't like it, Tough!

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I bet some of you question why you screw.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Rooster7

I apologize. I was trying an attempt at humor and sarcasm. Obviously it backfired.

Then I will also offer an apology. I would have been less acerbic in my response, had your post indicated such.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by krp
Hunting and killing are two separate actions. You can hunt without killing and kill without hunting.

Kent

Different folks, different philosophies.

In our world, hunting without killing was considered a failure, a waste of time and money.

To use my previous example, like driving to the mountains for firewood with a chainsaw which fails to run.

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Suppose that memories and putting meat on the table simply have went hand & hand. Think I have thought I focused more on the meat on the table though the memories defiantly have been no small part.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I think I've selected a rifle for nostalgic reasons only once or twice. Last time I did I broke out my old '06 and used it to hunt my old stomping grounds back in VA so it wasn't just the rifle that I picked for nostalgia, it was the place too. A lot of good memories there and the only deer I have mounted came from the same spot. I wasn't expecting to see anything or get a shot, I got a late start and hiked in about 9:00 AM. I mainly just wanted to hike around with rifle in my hand and check the place out again for old times sake. About 2 1/2 miles in I ran into a couple guys camped right in our old spot. Stopped and talk to them, nice guys. One had a six pointer hanging in a tree.

I kept going, got to my spot, and turned off the trail. Within a couple hundred yards I jumped a few deer including a nice eight point. He ran a short ways and pulled up broadside at about 125 yards. That never happens. He just stood there, so I shot him. I wasn't even prepared to pack a deer out, so I gutted the deer, propped him up on a log, hit the trail, and started walking back to the truck. Ran into one of the guys in camp on the way out, and he asked me if it was me that had shot. I told him about the buck and he said "we have a two wheeled game cart, I was just about to pack out my deer, why don't we throw yours on and wheel 'em out. So not only did I luck into a deer, I lucked into a fairly easy way to pack him out.

So, I would've enjoyed hiking in, seeing the old place, and carrying the rifle I used to hunt with there but the part I liked best about the trip was killing that buck. So that answers that question.

Or maybe not, since here I am telling the story......

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

In our world, hunting without killing was considered a failure, a waste of time and money.

To use my previous example, like driving to the mountains for firewood with a chainsaw which fails to run.

So you've never hunted an area for animals in the offseason to know if you even wanted to bother during season? Hunting is much more than walking around with a weapon... it's an accumulation of knowledge and application of same.

Kent

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I go to be active. Mostly solo hunt and enjoy the chase/process more than anything.

Yup.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I hunt because I like to hunt

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don’t do anything to “make memories”; I just do WTF I feel like doing. The Kodak moments happen, or they don’t. When I’m dead, who GAF?

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CashisKing
In reality... I hunt no different than I pick a ripe tomatoes off of the vine... or oysters out of a float... or crabs out of a pot.

I enjoy it all... even the sucky parts.

Looked in the barn the other day and three short dressed 8 pointer skulls just hanging there... planned to Dermestid beetle and Euro mount... and then forgot all about it.

Men hunt because men hunt...

Except for the ones that don't...

“You hunt like you pick tomatoes.”

Of course you do.

You’re a Clam.

Lol

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Killing is the worst part of hunting for me and I take no joy in the killing. Conversely I do get joy from being a successful hunter knowing that my inner caveman is providing for my clan just as my ancestors have done successfully for millennia. The reality of my modern life is that whatever game and fish I add to the freezer and larder are a supplement to the store bought groceries….our lives and health are not dependent upon my success in the field. I could say that I hunt for the meat (I do) or that I hunt because it’s in my DNA (it is) but the truth is that I hunt because I love the outdoors and I love spending time with my friends and loved ones outdoors in God’s creation. I hunt for many different reasons none less important than the other but when it’s all said and done it’s the memories that endure and sweeten with age. The memories of the time spent with loved ones that are long gone outlasts the meat, the choice of the rifle and bullet combo is dwarfed by the excitement and anticipation of the newest generation going afield for the first time. I don’t think I can point to any one particular thing that “makes” me a hunter but I guarantee that if hunting only caused me to have bad memories then I’d likely quit hunting… so maybe the memories part is perhaps the most important part…

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

So you've never hunted an area for animals in the offseason to know if you even wanted to bother during season? Hunting is much more than walking around with a weapon... it's an accumulation of knowledge and application of same.

Kent

No, never.

I learned where the meat roamed by following Dad and Mom from the time I was six.

The first legal animal seen was the one that died. The closer to the head of the trail, the better. On a really good day, we might have tagged out and have the horses back home by noon. Which was desireable as the cows had been milked extra early as in 2:00 or 3:00 AM and they would start hurting by midafternoon.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

198 members (17CalFan, 257_X_50, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 31 invisible), 2,097 guests, and 1,076 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,488
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.