Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12
J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Kenneth
If the Outfitter says Bergers not preferred, I’m not about to start the hunt on the wrong foot,

But damn that Creedmore loves the 140 VLD hunting bullet, most accurate load I have, Tikka, 7.5 lbs scoped and loaded,

Seemed like a great Sheep set up.

Ya I agree👍

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Currently in load development with the 127 LRX for the Creed, Showing potential.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Have a bud who’s killed 10 full curl Dalls, solo walk in hunts. His preferred setup, 30-378 with the 165 Ballistic Tip. He’s killed a couple goats and incidental grizzlies with the same rig. He says he knows they’re bombs but nothing moves much after you land one in the wheelhouse.

His serious bear guns are a 378 and a 460, both pushing TSXs.

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Quoting T_Inman

“ It is so weird how different people have different experiences.”

It really is, I gave a M77 tanger in 7x57 to my sister in law many years ago. The most accurate load was the 130 grain Speer boat tail. Everything she has killed with that rifle has been with that bullet. Shots from 30 yards to 200 plus. No issues no drama. Yet others on this thread have had issues with the bullet.

Barnes lovers Barnes haters all based upon personal experiences. Same thing for a variety of bullets.

I have had excellent experiences with the .284 160 Seirra HP game king and less than impressive experiences with the same bullet in .257 120? Grain.

I guess that’s what makes these threads so interesting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
for me.

6.5 eldx.

they shoot great.

tracking is sketchy. no blood trail.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Old school SSTs from my 7RM. They were, how should I put it, exciting with the amount of damage. Straight up craters and bone everywhere. The 129s in 6.5 were crap for penetration but opened quickly and destroyed a lot of tissue. I still have my original 2 boxes of 129 SSTs in 6.5. I might try them in a reduced load in a 260 Rem.

Talking to you is like trying to nail jello to the wall.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Judman
Pronghorn and up, what’s the worst performing bullet you’ve used? For me it’s gotta be any of the Barnes mono bullets.

Worst as in they didn’t expand or worse they blew schit up?

Didn’t expand, a Speer hotcore 145gr at 7x57 velocity.
Blow schit up, a Win power point 150gr from a .308 Win.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Currently in load development with the 127 LRX for the Creed, Showing potential.

I just put together a 6.5 creed tikka custom on a KRG Chassis. I'm doing load development with 140 elds but going to do a load with the 127 LRX after I get 100 rounds down the tube. I plan to use both bullets for hunting but for different situations

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Worst hunting bullet I ever tried for deer was a 405 grain speer in the 45/70. I was much younger and it was definately the wrong combo for lung shots. Live and learn as you get sick to your stomach watching a deer run off and 3 miles later its still going

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Brooks? Terrain looks to be?

This is the Brooks Range.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The north foothills of the Brooks:

Honestly, last year had absolutely horrible success for sheep hunters. I think it was roughly 25% statewide. Not sure about the Brooks Range specifically. This winter did them no favors. If you think you're in good enough shape, push harder.
Good luck come August.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Trystan
Worst hunting bullet I ever tried for deer was a 405 grain speer in the 45/70. I was much younger and it was definately the wrong combo for lung shots. Live and learn as you get sick to your stomach watching a deer run off and 3 miles later its still going

That’s pretty interesting as they’ve been sledgehammers for me. Blowing big holes through deer. I was surprised at the holes till I ran a few into jugs and saw they expanded to over/about an inch.

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Sierra most anything.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by beretzs

That’s pretty interesting as they’ve been sledgehammers for me. Blowing big holes through deer. I was surprised at the holes till I ran a few into jugs and saw they expanded to over/about an inch.

Yeah my experience is that the Speer 405 is about as soft as a wad of chewing gum.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Yep, understood that Sheep numbers currently are a hot topic, It is what it is...

Motivation? This pic you posted certainly motivates me......

11 day hunt...One way or the other, should be epic.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When you are use to having lung tissue strain through your fingers field dressing a deer and what you find instead is a quarter size hole through both lungs, that should tell you that a 140 grain TSX from a 7mm-08 isn’t your best choice. Slow learner that I am, I would have another ten point buck mount on the wall if I’d have used a faster opening bullet. My only ever deer that got away after leaving only 5 drops of blood.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sweetheart,

You don't pop holes in every lung a Critter's got and get to [bleep] "boolits",on your "abilities". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Sweetheart,

You don't pop holes in every lung a Critter's got and get to [bleep] "boolits",on your "abilities". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

Were did you go to school Stick?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
ReeferLady,

I've simply shot more Criiters,with more Chamberings,than your Brokedicktitude could begin to fathom..you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Where do I put my lathe? Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Windfall
When you are use to having lung tissue strain through your fingers field dressing a deer and what you find instead is a quarter size hole through both lungs, that should tell you that a 140 grain TSX from a 7mm-08 isn’t your best choice. Slow learner that I am, I would have another ten point buck mount on the wall if I’d have used a faster opening bullet. My only ever deer that got away after leaving only 5 drops of blood.

There's plenty of "respected" folks on these boards that say you need at least 10 examples before coming to any conclusion, so you need to potentially loose 8 more before you're allowed to have that opinion.

I can't say I have seen that happen, but TSX/TTSXs do make lung shot critters die slower on average IME. Not a big fan of them, I am.

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by TheKid
Originally Posted by beretzs

Yeah my experience is that the Speer 405 is about as soft as a wad of chewing gum.

I’d concur the .458 400 grain Speer Hot Core bullet is soft but it seems to stick together in my uses. Any by one I’ve recovered from testing or game looked like a wad of chewed gum but it kept some level of integrity and gave decent penetration.

Kid: what bullets do you prefer to hunt with in your .45-70s?

Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1eyedmule, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 52 invisible), 2,688 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,568
Posts18,453,813
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.