Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Stophel Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have wanted one for some time now, and at a small gun show, surprisingly, somebody had one. I paid a lot more for it than I would have five or ten years ago, but they ain't makin' 'em anymore, so I'm glad to have gotten this one today. I have wanted a stainless .38 since my sweat will rust up a blued one FAST.

This one has been used/carried/shot very little. No end shake, no push off, no real issues at all. And as usual, NOT A DROP of oil has EVER been applied to it anywhere. It is well lubricated now. The Great Book of Knowledge says it is ca. 1978-9

Went through it and did all the things I usually do when I get one. Polish the rebound slide mainly, and here and there elsewhere. It came with smooth walnut magna grips with medallions, but those do NOT work for my hands at all. Orange front ramp insert, which is pretty faded, I'll have to redo that, but for now, it's painted to brighten it up. Only thing that would make it better would be a white outline rear sight blade. I'll have to see if I can find and old one. The current production ones SUCK.

Now I need to go shoot it!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Stophel; 04/09/22.
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Nice.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice find, Stophel. Congrats.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Stophel Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The gun came with factory walnut smooth "presentation" magna grips, which I have discovered are exceedingly rare and can sell (if you can even find them) for $200 or more. Sweet!

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
That Smith will cover cover a whole lot of ground.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
That’s about as good as you can get, a 4 inch, stainless, adjustable sights.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Stophel
The gun came with factory walnut smooth "presentation" magna grips, which I have discovered are exceedingly rare and can sell (if you can even find them) for $200 or more. Sweet!

Yep. Original S&W wood grips of any type from back in the day are getting big prices now, but particularly the special ones. That's because folks used to be so fast to replace them with the latest and greatest aftermarket grips, and then basically discard the originals.

Congrats on the gun. The pre-82 S&Ws are generally excellent. I've got the same gun, but mine was made just after the 1982 changes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
That Smith will cover cover a whole lot of ground.

Yes sir. That's a great gun!

Enjoy!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Stophel Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Original S&W wood grips of any type from back in the day are getting big prices now, but particularly the special ones. That's because folks used to be so fast to replace them with the latest and greatest aftermarket grips, and then basically discard the originals.

I remember when you could find regular magnas for $5 a set (targets were $10), in boxes full of them at the gun shows. Nobody wanted them because....well, they do pretty much suck.

These grips may not actually be original to this gun, as they are a bit oversize for the frame. They are not numbered, but I don't know if they were still numbering grip panels at this date.

The gun is missing its little trigger stop. Just a little piece of metal with a screw that you could adjust to stop your trigger from overtravel. These were on the Masterpieces. I know they were known to occasionally work themselves loose and slip forward and keep the trigger from pulling back all the way, which is definitely not a good thing, so a lot of individuals and police departments removed them. I'm not real big on overtravel stops anyway, so it don't bother me that it's gone.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Stophel
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Original S&W wood grips of any type from back in the day are getting big prices now, but particularly the special ones. That's because folks used to be so fast to replace them with the latest and greatest aftermarket grips, and then basically discard the originals.

I remember when you could find regular magnas for $5 a set (targets were $10), in boxes full of them at the gun shows. Nobody wanted them because....well, they do pretty much suck.

These grips may not actually be original to this gun, as they are a bit oversize for the frame. They are not numbered, but I don't know if they were still numbering grip panels at this date.

The gun is missing its little trigger stop. Just a little piece of metal with a screw that you could adjust to stop your trigger from overtravel. These were on the Masterpieces. I know they were known to occasionally work themselves loose and slip forward and keep the trigger from pulling back all the way, which is definitely not a good thing, so a lot of individuals and police departments removed them. I'm not real big on overtravel stops anyway, so it don't bother me that it's gone.
Yes, overtravel stops have no place on a service gun. Strictly a sporting function. Too risky for serious applications.

IC B3

Stophel Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My first group. Remington 158gr SWCHP +P. About 15 yards or so. Off a rest (the back of a bouncy steel lawn chair). Considering how my eyesight has declined over the past few years, I think this ain't that bad at all.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
If you experimented with loads, you could tighten that up, but nothing wrong with that group.

Stophel Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I think the gun could easily put all six of those into that little black spot, my eyesight and shakiness are the only limiting factor to accuracy.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
You may be able to tighten those groups with dummy rounds. So easy to do with a revolver.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
That's a great addition. The first Combat Masterpiece I owned was a Model 67

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by INKK
That's a great addition. The first Combat Masterpiece I owned was a Model 67

Me too. Back in the early 1980s.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very nice !!!

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Stophel: Good for you on the gunshow find!
I never pass up a chance to "do" a gunshow.
Keep us posted on your interactions with that handsome pistol.
Also would YOU be interested in selling those grips that came on the Model 67?
Enjoy and thanks for sharing the news and the great photos.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Very nice find indeed. They're on the bucket list. If "good deal" N-frames would stop throwing themselves in front of me one would come home a lot sooner.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Very nice and congrats to that purchase. And speaking of eyesight, it's probably just the beginning of a cataract which can be repaired with the right tools and by a man or woman who knows the trade.

Elmer Keith
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (1minute, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 62 invisible), 2,982 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,526
Posts18,452,842
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.