Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Pat85 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Last year wasn't very good for him, anaplasmosis, melanoma seem to really take off. Put him down in February. When I came over to feed I found him on the ground, couldn't get up. acting as if the hind end was paralyzed. Probably should have put him down last fall but he had a good appetite and the Doxy knocked the anaplasmosis out of his system because he perked up considerably and was walking 100% better. Owned him 19 years, he was 27.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

GB2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Tough deal man.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry to hear that. Animals are sometimes like family.

Why do I have to press 1, for English?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gone, but not forgotten.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
BTDT. Never easy.

What did you call him?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sorry to hear that. But all living things have an expiration date and we can't avoid it.

Out of curiosity, how do you dispose of a dead horse in your state? It's a problem here since the nearest rendering plant is 150 miles away. If you have a way to move it, Idaho allows dead livestock to be dumped on state land as long as it's not in an obnoxious place. We used to raise a few goats and I've dumped a few that way. We have patches of state land scattered around the desert. You just need a GPS to make sure you're on state land, not federal. Moving a dead horse is a whole different thing than moving a dead goat, though.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's a pretty good run but it doesn't mean it's easy.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
That is tough to deal with. I have two horses and two mules buried on my place. The county dump will take them but I don't feel right about that

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
P
Pat85 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Sorry to hear that. But all living things have an expiration date and we can't avoid it.

Out of curiosity, how do you dispose of a dead horse in your state? It's a problem here since the nearest rendering plant is 150 miles away. If you have a way to move it, Idaho allows dead livestock to be dumped on state land as long as it's not in an obnoxious place. We used to raise a few goats and I've dumped a few that way. We have patches of state land scattered around the desert. You just need a GPS to make sure you're on state land, not federal. Moving a dead horse is a whole different thing than moving a dead goat, though.

For me is wasn't a problem because I have heavy equipment and enough property to put him in the ground. We don't have rendering plants in the state that I am aware of. The state does allow the burial of livestock as long as its not in a 100 year flood plain, high water table area or with in 100 feet of a well for obvious reasons.

P
Pat85 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by ironbender

What did you call him?

Oakley

Last edited by Pat85; 04/10/22.

IC B3

P
Pat85 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
My other horse was with him for 15 years, he got all bent out of shape when I hauled the dead one up to the burial site. Thought I was going to have a problem with him but he eventually settled down.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Dogs and horses!!! I can handle humans leaving easier than dogs and horses. We understand things and explain things to others. Doesn't make it easy but ya can't explain things to the animal. We know it's coming sooner or later but do animals know? Maybe they do maybe they don't?? I think wild animals know it could come at anytime, there always on high alert. But we make dogs and horses lives pretty easy !!! At least most of us do.Just a thought, probably just me. Not easy though. GWP. 👣🐾👣🐾👣🐾🇨🇦

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Pat85
My other horse was with him for 15 years, he got all bent out of shape when I hauled the dead one up to the burial site. Thought I was going to have a problem with him but he eventually settled down.

I had a mule completely change her disposition after her stable mate had to be put down from cancer. She finally end up on a pack string in NW CO.She could not stand to be by herself and would buddy up with anything around.She is find now in a herd environment.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by GWPGUY
Dogs and horses!!! I can handle humans leaving easier than dogs and horses. We understand things and explain things to others. Doesn't make it easy but ya can't explain things to the animal. We know it's coming sooner or later but do animals know? Maybe they do maybe they don't?? I think wild animals know it could come at anytime, there always on high alert. But we make dogs and horses lives pretty easy !!! At least most of us do.Just a thought, probably just me. Not easy though. GWP. 👣🐾👣🐾👣🐾🇨🇦

You'll love this one. I have a string of pack llamas. Keep in mind that llamas breed lying down. A receptive female will lie down and the male will sit on his butt behind her and butt walk his way forward to reach her. It's kind of funny to watch. Anyway, I had a female get hurt. The vet bills would have been more than she was worth so I decided to butcher and eat her. They're pretty good eating. My wife couldn't stand to be around when I shot a 'pet' so she left. I hadn't any more than knocked her down when my wife called and said to get her out of the pasture so it wouldn't traumatize the others. I just cracked up. When I shot her, there was a recently gelded male hanging around her. When she hit the ground, he immediately mounted her. Oh, he was TOTALLY traumatized. I was laughing so hard that it was hard to tell my wife what was going on.
Just so you know, she tasted pretty good. She was older plus being stressed from the injury so the meat was very tough, burger only, but it tasted very good.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
P
Pat85 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by GWPGUY
We know it's coming sooner or later but do animals know? Maybe they do maybe they don't??

I was up digging the hole when the vet euthanized him. The vet and a friend of mine stayed with the horse and said he went peacefully. The horse didn’t try to fight it . Maybe they do know when they are ready.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sorry for your loss. A loyal companion is hard to let go, but when it's time, it's time.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
If you have horses or other large livestock, it's very important to have a good friend with a backhoe.

Pat85 and all you guys who have lost your four legged friends lately, I'm sorry for your loss.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
That’s tough I hate to hear it. I had to put down my first horse to own as a adult in October. I was fortunate too that my uncle is a vet and grandfather has a backhoe. Makes things go about as well as they can.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Sorry to hear this . I had a mare get hung up in a hay ring several years back and damaged her spine to the point she could only move her head . I had to put her down.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Sorry for your loss. It's tough, but you know when it's time.

Lost my mare last November. Had concerns about my donkey being alone until another horse comes along, but he's doing fine.

Last edited by Distridr; 04/16/22.

Save our kids - shoot your local drug dealer.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
326 members (280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 43 invisible), 2,204 guests, and 1,062 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,724
Posts18,400,607
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.