Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
150 qt cooler will hold your boned out bull. I also bring a 105 Yeti to hold the frozen cape.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
GB1

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Thank you all for the advice. I have an Igloo Cool Max 165 qt (Costco $79.00) and a RTIC medium size cooler and a few others. I guess I will bring the 165 and the RTIC and maybe 1 other other. That should cover it. I don't like to waste any meat!

Those 2 coolers should easily hold a boned out bull elk. What time of year will you be hunting? If it’s cold enough you can leave the meat hanging in game bags and frozen overnight also which helps before the drive home.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
We drive & have used 165 qt Igloos or similar for years. A large cow with lots of ice tends to just about fill it. Drain often & refill with ice - the wet aging has done well for us. A big bull will overfill the 165 if not boned out certainly but 1/2 a 165 works well - room for a decent sized buck in the other 1/2. The driving around & draining seems to do a good job of aging& cleaning the blood out of the meat. We almost always have to quarter & cut them up in the field & haul them 1-4 miles to the truck.

If you get one early & have it processed there slightly smaller volume & use 10lb dry ice to keep cold about 20 hours. Your cooler efficiency will play a role but even cheap coolers have worked & meat stayed frozen.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
This has been so helpful. Thanks all!!

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
We were able to fit my bull this year, a young one, into two 100 qt coolers, bone in.

IC B2

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Unless you are way in the boonies bivy camping I like the big ass Coleman 150qt Arctic Coolers

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Our method was to take a chest freezer, towed on a trailer(along with a quad and other gear) and a Honda generator. Run it long enough to cool the meat. Pretty simple, no screwing with ice.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by kenster99
Our method was to take a chest freezer, towed on a trailer(along with a quad and other gear) and a Honda generator. Run it long enough to cool the meat. Pretty simple, no screwing with ice.
Every year we go down to the Florida Keys for a 10-14 day fishing trip. We bring 150qt coolers and ice the catch. Its kind of a pain in the azz. Now we bring a chest freezer with a small honda portable generator. Its much easier. Don't have to mess with ice at all. It works great. I'm sure it would work with Elk/Deer meat.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I’ve had better luck with ice bags vs dry ice. I leave it in the bags instead of spreading it out over the meat because it will last longer as one big lump. If you do use ice, leave the drain plugs to the rear. Then if you need to drain some water you can slide the cooler aft a bit and drain it without having to unpack stuff to turn it around.

That’s worked well for me on a dozen trips traveling from western Colorado to Mississippi.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Check the game laws through all the states you will be traveling through. It is against the law in most states to import (drive through) with bone-in meat due to CWD.

I took a large bodied 7x6 bull in eastern Montana in 2020. I deboned the bull and used a 110qt and 65 qt RTIC for all the meat and a 65 YETI for the cape with plenty of room for frozen 1/2 gallon milk jugs in each cooler. Note, the 65 YETI does not have as much capacity as the 65qt RTIC. RTIC sizes are true quarts, YETI is not.

Dry ice is hit or miss where I have hunted in the past. I would not rely on it. I froze a bunch of 1/2 gallon jugs (approximately 30 or so) before I left NC and stored in the pre-chilled 110qt RTIC. The cooler was completely full of frozen jugs. I stuffed any void spaces with old towels where I could. I kept the cooler closed the entire trip and left it in the shade during the hunt. I only opened it when it was time to pack the meat and drive home.

The jugs were still partially frozen when I got home 12 days later. I did not use all of the jugs with the meat on the trip back to NC.

Good luck with your hunt. I hope your load is heavy on your return trip!

Last edited by CarolinaHunter; 06/12/22.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Great info. Thank you!!!

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Depending on where you're hunting dry ice can be readily available. Freeze some ice jugs, milk jugs and then put some dry ice in the cooler with them to keep frozen until needed.
Just make sure that meat is cool when you put it in the coolers or it could spoil.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A very useful thread!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
always plan an extra cooler just in case , otherwise your at the mercy of a small town store price.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Go with the biggest you can afford & fill any voids after adding ice with a tarp or something non absorbent. One 150qt will be fine if you’re loading packages of processed meat. If you are bringing back whole primal cuts then get a second 150qt.

Mathman great reminder to leave space for ice - I’m a 30% approx ice guy. Some use less but I put ice blocks in doubled trash sacks and end up using 4-5 of them. Drove all over the country with this system for various hunts for years. Sometimes I put 2-3 1x4 pine boards on the bottom of the cooler to help with circulation & minimize any water contact which is mostly internal condensation after I double bag the blocks.

Wasteful on plastic but it works

*If you’re really into saving ice - pack a blanket and put them over your cooler(s). Works same for a cooler as it does for your body.

Good luck - I’ve been following a few of your posts about the upcoming hunt. So pumped for you! Nothing like chasing bulls around the mountains. Nothing.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

691 members (16Racing, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,971 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,578
Posts18,454,042
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.