24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not a big fan of the Keith 170. I have always had best luck using JHP's when hunting with the .357. I have never found the .357 wanting for penetration when using 140gr or heavier bullets, but I have found it wanting for frontal diameter when animals get larger. So for me, the .357 benefitted greatly from JHP's. I have always been happy with the performance of a quality 158 JHP.

I guess I'd want a heavy cast bullet if I were trying to take down a moose, but then I wouldn't be picking a .357 for that particular job.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had and still have several S&W and Ruger revolvers. The S&W's tend to come with better triggers, but the Ruger can easily be improved to acceptable or better. I haven't perceived any real difference in accuracy. The biggest differences besides visual appearance of form are the ease of disassembling the Ruger for deep cleaning or other work, and different manipulation of the cylinder latch. I happen to find the Ruger cylinder latch much easier to live with. If you haven't at least compared the two with your own hands, you're doing yourself a disservice.

Other than that, it's all generally subjective and up to your own taste, IMO. But my current favorite is the (admittedly hyperbolicly named) Match Champion. BTW, my Match Champion came with a very good trigger, and will not be getting any special attention.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When comparing medium frame .357's, specifically S&W, Ruger, and Colt...No matter what, you're going to end up with a fantastic revolver. It comes down to the little things that do it for you. Look, feel, sights, trigger...etc. Everyone has a revolver that just does it for them...just make sure you buy the one that does it for you. Or you'll have to go back at a later date and buy the one that does it for you. Might as well 100% satisfy the heart the first time; its cheaper that way.

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by GunGeek
When comparing medium frame .357's, specifically S&W, Ruger, and Colt...No matter what, you're going to end up with a fantastic revolver. It comes down to the little things that do it for you. Look, feel, sights, trigger...etc. Everyone has a revolver that just does it for them...just make sure you buy the one that does it for you. Or you'll have to go back at a later date and buy the one that does it for you. Might as well 100% satisfy the heart the first time; its cheaper that way.

I now have a 4" python, a 6" gp100, a 3" sp101, and a 1&7/8" 360pd all in 357. Now I want a 686 plus 7 shot in a 4" for an all around shooter. I was considering a 4" 7 shot gp100 too but I've narrowed it down to a 686. The local shop had a 3" 686 plus I'm stock and that is tempting me. I guess my question has now evolved into which 686 plus should I get, 3" or 4"?

Thanks,
Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 04/06/22.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Burleyboy

I now have a 4" python, a 6" gp100, a 3" sp101, and a 1&7/8" 360pd all in 357. Now I want a 686 plus 7 shot in a 4" for an all around shooter. I was considering a 4" 7 shot gp100 too but I've narrowed it down to a 686. The local shop had a 3" 686 plus I'm stock and that is tempting me. I guess my question has now evolved into which 686 plus should I get, 3" or 4"?

Thanks,
Bb

It depend upon the use to me. Since I wouldn't be trying to conceal carry a 686+, I'd go with the 4" barrel. For general use, I like a 4" to 6" barrel 357 magnum. I have a 686+ with a 5" barrel that's just about perfect for my use for a hunting revolver and general range gun.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can only shoot one at a time, so my Python does it all for me. And if I'm being honest, once I found my 4" Python, I really didn't shoot my other .357's anymore. So my 686 Plus went down the road and while its a fantastic revolver, I don't miss it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Thanks,
Bb

You might ask yourself, why would you not want the 4"?

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Town Police Chief has a beautiful 686 and a well used Ruger Security Six. S&W looks well made, nice fit and finish. Ruger LOOKS well used but still tight.

Early in his LE career when six shooters were carry guns, he relied on the Ruger.

He competed in club shoots and made money with his Ruger commenting to me that when the S&W guys had the cylinders tie up with grime slowing their shoot'in, his Ruger kept on going.

He also liked the Rugers cylinder release though you get used to whatever type your pistol has. Never had the trigger worked on, it just got really smooth after hundred of rounds.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not a Ruger guy, but I have always liked the Security Six. It was a bit stronger than the S&W M19, and you can tune a Ruger DA to match just about any S&W. The Security Six was a solid choice as a carry .357 back in the day.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by grvj
Town Police Chief has a beautiful 686 and a well used Ruger Security Six. S&W looks well made, nice fit and finish. Ruger LOOKS well used but still tight.

Early in his LE career when six shooters were carry guns, he relied on the Ruger.

He competed in club shoots and made money with his Ruger commenting to me that when the S&W guys had the cylinders tie up with grime slowing their shoot'in, his Ruger kept on going.

He also liked the Rugers cylinder release though you get used to whatever type your pistol has. Never had the trigger worked on, it just got really smooth after hundred of rounds.

My dad and I bought new 4" .357's together years ago. I bought a Security Six, dad a S&W M19. I was casting 158 gr. SWC and using Unique powder and those were smokey, dirty loads. My Ruger would bind up in a long practice session and dad's M19 never missed a beat.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I went into the gunshop today looking fir a 4" 686 plus. The had a 4" 6 shot 686 and a 3" 686 7 shot. I had talked myself into the 3" plus model and yhen I noticed they had just put out a new M&P 10mm in the model i was looking for.

So the 686 plus will have to wait a but because I bought the 4" with safety M&P 10mm. I rely like the feel of this 10mm so I hope it is reliable like my xdm 10s are.

I also noticed a brand new looking heavy barrel savage 12 in 22-250 on the used rack cheap. I had a sticker that said cabelas exclusive on it. I'm not a savage fan but it looked like it would work for shooting a bunch of ground squirrels and I was already doing paperwork so I bought it too. I need to figure out what twist it is. I guess savage made 22-250s in 9 and 12 twist. I hope it's a 9.

Bb

Mine was older as it was a 112. But it was 14 inch twist. It would shoot the Hornady 60 gr spitzer, but the Nosler 60 gr BT tumbled.

Yes, the one you are looking at should be a shooter with which ever bullet it will stabilize.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Get one of each. Shoot 'em for a while. One will win you over. Sell the one you don't care for. Easy Peasy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OldSchool_BestSchool
Get one of each. Shoot 'em for a while. One will win you over. Sell the one you don't care for. Easy Peasy.
Not bad advice if that's financially feasible.

I was a S&W guy most of my life, but I always wanted a Python. Bought a 6" blue Python and just really didn't like it. Found I shot my S&W 19 much more than the Python, so it went down the road. I thought I was done with Pythons. Then I came across my current 4" nickel, and I decided to give it another try. Turns out, me and a 4" Python get along real well. After that, I found I just didn't shoot my S&W's anymore, so they went down the road.

I don't go in for the "best" argument; that's a waste of time. They're all good, just find the one that sings to you.

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
I owned both and I love both. I think the trigger on the 686 is better but only by the slightest margin.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
686 - change the trigger spring with one of these kits and you'll have a great handgun. https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Custom-Tune-Spring-Kit-SW-K_L_N-Frame-Revolvers/productinfo/178/

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Having owned a 4"bbl 686-3, I can say I'd never own another one, unbalanced, inferior quality to the older Model 19 & Pythons. I have an old Redhawk 44, would definitely give the GP100 a try.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
686 any day. I’ve owned maybe 15 or 16 Rugers. Most when I had a full a long time ago. I kept buying them and selling if they didn’t shoot well. I kept the last one.
The Rugers are crude revolvers! Crude sights, rude triggers and their quality in the early years were the pits. I have no desire to own another Ruger. My brother had a Super Red Hawk 44 Mag. It looked like the factory couldn’t decide whether to put the barrel on a 44 or a 45. It was a little small for the 45, but close. That revolver just shot bullets that tumbled.

I own quite a few S&W including a 586 (blue version of the 686). I really like that revolver.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
652 members (01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 71 invisible), 2,833 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,654
Posts18,399,200
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.